Should graduates be guaranteed jobs?

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    Entitled liberals lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plucky17)
    I didn't use the word forced, more so that companies should partner with top universities to guarantee that the brightest and the best are given the decent opportunities they deserve and have worked hard to achieve.
    Guaranteeing a job is forcing someone to hire someone else.

The brightest and the best doesn't always come down to university grades either. How would it be decided who those "best" candidates are? I am guessing some kind of recruitment process which is exactly what firms do already.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    But that's the issue here. Graduates from top universities should get certain benefits over those attending lower ranked universities and certainly those who don't even have a degree.

EDIT: to clarify my point, (apologies if this seems like a crude analogy) you wouldn't expect Manchester United to play a Sunday league amateur football club in the first round of the fa cup. So why should the top graduates be expected to do, in essence, what is the same thing and waste time competing against those others?
    No they shouldn't. Not everyone can afford to attend the best university.

Some people attend their local university that might not be the most highly ranked, but it means they can keep their part time job, or contribute to the family income, or support their family as a carer, or just generally be around as they have other commitments.

The idea that anyone is entitled to something over someone else because of the university they got into is even more crazy than the idea of guaranteeing jobs. You are then basically saying your employment prospects are based heavily on your A-level grades, which if you have gone to a top fee paying school and incredibly stronger than if you have gone to your local poor performing state school.

Your crude analogy is just a little skewed. The Sunday league team can compete in any round of the FA cup, they just have to work hard to get there. The Manchester United's of the world also compete in the same competition but do get leg ups (e.g. skipping rounds one and two) because they have good academics which look good on a CV. To win the trophy though (that's the job in this analogy), they have to turn up on the pitch and perform just like anyone else. They have just had better facilities to do so (training, support, sponsorship etc) which means not only do they supposedly have the better talent on the pitch as due to their brand name they attract better raw talent, but they also have it much easier where the extensive amount of support staff do everything for them apart from kick the ball. The Sunday League team has to get through two extra rounds, and not have that support, but doesn't mean they aren't entitled to lift the trophy. If anything THEY are more entitled and it is far more impressive as they worked much harder to get there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    After working hard for 3/4 years, should those who graduate with what is considered to be a decent grade (2:1 or above) be guaranteed a job on graduation?

I believe they should be, especially after the large amount of debt that would have been accumulated upon graduation and the fact that those with a degree are much more employable than those without one.
    Not really doing much to dispel the myth of the Entitled Generation there, are you...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vlad83)
    Apparently, in the past, in my country (the Soviet Union) whilst a student was still at university, he or she would get sort of like a referral to a job .. maybe not a particularly prestigious one, maybe not even one of their own choice, but still. That way, therefore, you had a guarantee of a secured employment - to follow after your studies are over.
    In contrast to how things are now these days (quite possibly in Russia itself too, and elsewhere) - when you can graduate and then remain with no job offer or available employment opportunity and have to fend for yourself.
    Which model or approach is more appealing - it is for everyone to choose for themselves.
    Many peoples have been celebrating break of records for tractor production Comrade ! it;s called living in a totalitarian fascist-of-the-left Dictatorship

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    Pretty much any able bodied graduate or non graduate under the age of 40 could become a soldier. Even if you're not the fittest guy in the world by any stretch of the imagination.
    really ... plenty of 'able bodied' people do not meet the medical requirements for service , including people working or volunteering in 999 services roles .put the keys down and step away from the JCB...

ReputationRep:
    No way should this happen whatsoever. If your degree and the skills you have learned "working hard" throughout the 3 years at uni are as good as you suggest, you should be able to get a job yourself rather than being handed one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    really ... plenty of 'able bodied' people do not meet the medical requirements for service , including people working or volunteering in 999 services roles .put the keys down and step away from the JCB...
    Step away from the JCB? lol what? Unless you have some hereditary disability, you will be of use somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    After working hard for 3/4 years, should those who graduate with what is considered to be a decent grade (2:1 or above) be guaranteed a job on graduation?

I believe they should be, especially after the large amount of debt that would have been accumulated upon graduation and the fact that those with a degree are much more employable than those without one.
    Absolutely not. I have an undergraduate and masters degree and I'm a couple of months into my first graduate job and I can tell you that the two are very different, so being good at one doesn't necessarily = being good at the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    Step away from the JCB? lol what? Unless you have some hereditary disability, you will be of use somewhere.
    carry on digging your holes, it's quite clear you do not understand the medical standards of entry and retention for the military and how firm they are ...

ReputationRep:

Of course not, there are two types of graduates in this world; one who works while studying and another who simply just studies and doesn't bother looking to work at all.

I am one of the graduates who worked during university. I earned where I am now in my first full time job 1 month after graduating simply because I am determined and motivated to be where I want to be.

Things don't come to you on plate that easily; you have to earn it like those without a degree.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.