I lived in 3 countries and speak their languages AMA

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

what languages do you speak at home?

Do you mix languages toghether when you speak e.g. one sentence in Russian, one word in Dutch and then finidh off the rest in English?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnielovely)
    Ow wow I lived in two countries and speak three of their lauguages and and extra one I learn my self
    ooo that's awesome ! where did you live and what languages can you learned ? I am trying to teach my self German through Rammstein songs lol, its not going well xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    what languages do you speak at home?

Do you mix languages toghether when you speak e.g. one sentence in Russian, one word in Dutch and then finidh off the rest in English?
    YEs!!!! I always do that cause its such a mix in my head.. I could be in the lounge and shout OI MAMA GIVE ME *dutch word* please *cause im hungry (in russian) * We do tend to speak all three at home, and everyone understands everything even my dog hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    Dzien dobry
    Isn't this polish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prostheticzeta)
    nooo dont be sorry xD this is the reason why i decided to post this on TSR!!! I adapted well!! Took me a while to learn European culture though !! A never seen / met a black / gay person, and coming from a traditional russian family, it has taken a lot of arguments to teach my parents no to be homophobic/ racist xD I was 9 when i moved out of russian, 13 when I moved out of belgium
    what about you??????
    I was only 3 when i moved to spain and then 13 when i moved to england so it was quite a painfull experience but i adapted quickly, now im in my second year of sixth form

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliencreature)
    I was only 3 when i moved to spain and then 13 when i moved to england so it was quite a painfull experience but i adapted quickly, now im in my second year of sixth form
    woah that is so cool ! Do you feel like youre confident in your languages or do you feel a bit loos? That's how I feel sometimes but I try to support all three of them so that I don't forget them :P
    and I am in year 13 too!! Are you applying for uni ?

ReputationRep:
    woah that is so cool ! Do you feel like youre confident in your languages or do you feel a bit loos? That's how I feel sometimes but I try to support all three of them so that I don't forget them :P
    and I am in year 13 too!! Are you applying for uni ?
    i cant write very well in polish but i speak it at home, spanish is perfect and english meh, i make some pretty dumb mistakes all the time. And yes, still dont know what course so my statement is just so crap
    what about you?

ReputationRep:
    Isn't this polish
    yupp, its all the same for some...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliencreature)
    i cant write very well in polish but i speak it at home, spanish is perfect and english meh, i make some pretty dumb mistakes all the time. And yes, still dont know what course so my statement is just so crap
    what about you?
    Very simlar with me, i cant write well in Russian but i am very fluent same with Dutch really ;P Enlish is probably my strongest, which I find a bit upsetting cause Russian should be my main language really xD and so do i xD and my accent is really strong too, which some people find like marmite :L I finished mine, sending it off soon, when my college finds the time to go through it! Ive applied for International Business, cause Im not academic enough to study anything else lol

ReputationRep:
    So I actually have a bet on with my friend that I can learn 2 different languages before I finish uni so if I do a masters at uni it'll be 5 years. So become fluent in Spanish and German within 5 years, I think I can do it. Anyone else agree that's this is possible ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ooo that's awesome ! where did you live and what languages can you learned ? I am trying to teach my self German through Rammstein songs lol, its not going well xD
    i live in hong kong and i speak chinese and english, there are many varient in chinese tho and i speak mandarin and cantonease and english. i also did a gcse in spanih and got a pass

ReputationRep:
    buy me a drink first
    Nonalcoholic only though.

(Original post by Rhaenys10)
    You would know four if you were truly badass.
    How many langs do you know?

ReputationRep:
    Very simlar with me, i cant write well in Russian but i am very fluent same with Dutch really ;P Enlish is probably my strongest, which I find a bit upsetting cause Russian should be my main language really xD and so do i xD and my accent is really strong too, which some people find like marmite :L I finished mine, sending it off soon, when my college finds the time to go through it! Ive applied for International Business, cause Im not academic enough to study anything else lol
    ayy don't say that plus it is a very good course to do either way, I'm applying for international relations with Spanish and a few economics pops in my head. so hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RossB1702)
    So I actually have a bet on with my friend that I can learn 2 different languages before I finish uni so if I do a masters at uni it'll be 5 years. So become fluent in Spanish and German within 5 years, I think I can do it. Anyone else agree that's this is possible ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think you can definitely do it! they are similar languages, but not too similar where you would get the two confused. There are so many methods of teaching your self a language quickly and proactively. One of the best tips I can give you is either travel to the country and absorb your self in their lifestyles or find a friend whom you can skype and have shits and giggles with, in that language

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainbowMan)
    Nonalcoholic only though.

How many langs do you know?
    Three. I wasn't comparing him to myself, I was just being an ******* about him not speaking both Dutch and French (cos of Belgium)

ReputationRep:
    I used to speak French quite well but I forgot it as I really hated it as a kid, I do regret it now
    I was just being mean lmao
    Sorry for that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnielovely)
    i live in hong kong and i speak chinese and english, there are many varient in chinese tho and i speak mandarin and cantonease and english. i also did a gcse in spanih and got a pass
    well done ! I heard that Mandarin is really hard, haven't even looked into Cantonese xD what are your plans for the future ? Do you think that knowing the languages has opened up a lot of doors for you?

ReputationRep:
    Three. I wasn't comparing him to myself, I was just being an ******* about him not speaking both Dutch and French (cos of Belgium)
    Coitus?

ReputationRep:
    I was just being mean lmao
    Sorry for that
    oh right xD I thought you were emphasising on how Belgium is a bilingual country (dutch and french) and that I only knew one ;_;

ReputationRep:
    lol ! him is a she btw ! and what languages do you know?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.