Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It's not that highly paid - £19,000 starting salary after 5 or 6 years training.

Most consultants average 60K which admittedly is a good salary but hardly the 'highest paid' to which this thread refers. Generally, only via private work do Drs make 6 figure salaries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyabbott)
    It's not that highly paid - £19,000 starting salary after 5 or 6 years training.

Most consultants average 60K which admittedly is a good salary but hardly the 'highest paid' to which this thread refers. Generally, only via private work do Drs make 6 figure salaries.
    60k is still a very good wage - how many people never make it past 20k over their whole career?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    60k is still a very good wage - how many people never make it past 20k over their whole career?

Your a nice grounded chap Huntroyde methinks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Your a nice grounded chap Huntroyde methinks.
    It's important to be realistic.

ReputationRep:
    oops.. i think i have been misunderstood. I didn't say med was crap in terms of pay, just that it's hardly the highest earning profession.

It's true that a lot of people don't make it past 20K, however, they probably haven't had 6 years of uni, and many years of postqualification training, nor have they a job with quite the responsibility that a doctor has.

I'm by no means complaining about the salary though... can't wait!!!!

ReputationRep:
    oops.. i think i have been misunderstood. I didn't say med was crap in terms of pay, just that it's hardly the highest earning profession.

It's true that a lot of people don't make it past 20K, however, they probably haven't had 6 years of uni, and many years of postqualification training, nor have they a job with quite the responsibility that a doctor has.

I'm by no means complaining about the salary though... can't wait!!!!
    OK that's fair enough

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm liking what I see for Computer Science - starting at $48,656 think thats £26,600 and I've heard it raises up to £55,000 on average (mid way through your career) plus you get move for knowing certain languages such as Java and C (which I'll be learning). Just imagine - £26,600+ at the age of 21!

ReputationRep:

My cousins dad is a royal naval surgeon, he earns 100k+ basic salary, then there is all the freebies you get with being in the navy like, free private education for your kids, travel expenses and cheap accomodation if you want it.

ReputationRep:
    The only slight technical hitch that puts me off a career in the forces is war

ReputationRep:
    New doctors joining the forces are given a 50k golden hello - not bad for a 24/25 year old!

If you're really driven by money I'd suggest you set up your own business. No-one ever got rich working for an hourly wage!!

ReputationRep:
    If u even earn 100K then u would have to pay 40K as tax. This really sucks, it better to work in a country where there is no tax, like Dubai.

If u self-employed u have to pay 22% as tax, that why G.Ps earn alot of money. My G.P get around 200K and only pay 22% tax. So if u want alot of money either move to country with no tax or become self-employed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    I doubt anyone can say that they will definately be on 6 figures in their early 20s, particularly not those who are enquiring about HNDs at Luton. Although I'm not saying it's impossible either.
    I'll show you the figures in 5yrs time, ok!!!

ReputationRep:
    Nemesis 420: "If u self-employed u have to pay 22% as tax, that why G.Ps earn alot of money. My G.P get around 200K and only pay 22% tax."

That is the biggest injection of crap I've ever heard. Tax levels are fixed for everyone, regardless of your employment status.

Any earnings over £30,500 are taxed at 40%. That's it.

Although, being self employed means you can fiddle the books a little

ReputationRep:
    Computer science and computer related jobs have gone down the drain, the bubble has burst... I know loads of people with computer related degrees and they are finding it VERY diffocult to find a job... why?... because it is cheaper to outsource them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nik P)
    Computer science and computer related jobs have gone down the drain, the bubble has burst... I know loads of people with computer related degrees and they are finding it VERY diffocult to find a job... why?... because it is cheaper to outsource them...
    Thats right ppl!!! and really true, so dont waste your time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Well I'm liking what I see for Computer Science - starting at $48,656 think thats £26,600 and I've heard it raises up to £55,000 on average (mid way through your career) plus you get move for knowing certain languages such as Java and C (which I'll be learning). Just imagine - £26,600+ at the age of 21!
    You got your orignal figure in dollars - is that the American average or British?

ReputationRep:
    A newly qualified doctor joining the RAF starts on £47,500 per year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikki J S)
    A newly qualified doctor joining the RAF starts on £47,500 per year!

Just wanted to add that if ur not happy with your job , no amount of money can make up for it. I've wanted to be a doc since I was little so am not driven by pay (just want enough to have a decent standard of living).

I think that u have to work and study hard for a number of years to get on to some of the higher salaries for jobs that people are quoting. New graduates will (generally) have to start at the bottom of their chosen career and work their way up - unless they are exceptionally lucky or work for themselves (or can come up with a get rich quick scheme!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikki J S)
    Just wanted to add that if ur not happy with your job , no amount of money can make up for it. I've wanted to be a doc since I was little so am not driven by pay (just want enough to have a decent standard of living).
    Indeed gotta work to live not live to work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    Indeed gotta work to live not live to work

I kinda agree. I don't think there's anything wrong in being ambitious in what u do, but I think u have to have a balance between work and life outside that - otherwise relationships, families an stuff can suffer.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.