Turn on thread page Beta

Birthcake banned in schools to stop kids from getting 'fat' watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadile)
    My job? What job?
    Having the "go around during a lesson to give out sweets" is a waste of time, delays teaching and let's be fair, some idiot kid will be too dumb to remember their allergies and will probably die eventually. Why can't kids just celebrate their birthday outside of school, or during breaks?
    You mean it's nothing to do with obesity? They lied? It was just an excuse for lazy teachers to ban something to make their lives easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fgn)
    You mean it's nothing to do with obesity? They lied? It was just an excuse for lazy teachers to ban something to make their lives easier.
    Oh I'm giving my reasons why I agree with the ban. Why are the teachers lazy here though? What about any of this makes them lazy? The birthday thing gives them time to be lazy where they don't have to teach.

ReputationRep:
    oh thank God I'm in uni now
    a birthday at school with no birthday cake is not a real birthday

ReputationRep:
    I don't think banning cakes is going to do anything tbh, when I was in high school there were lots of corner shops close by so lots of people were always buying crisps, chocolates, cookies and probably skipping breakfast.

ReputationRep:
    As somebody who is looking at the last slices of their own birthday cake (who the goodness says 'birthcake'?), I do understand their intentions but it all sounds overblown. People will just smuggle their cake to school (I never thought I would say that...) or just give it to them outside of school.

ReputationRep:
    This is basically treating the symptom of the problem instead of the actual problem. That said, stricter measures like these may be required across many walks of life.

ReputationRep:
    OMG NANNY STATE! One less opportunity to stuff your fat face with cake at school? Big deal."birthdays only come about once a year, so you dont get to eat birthday cake that much even if there is say 30 people in the class"One birthday every 14 days? A piece would be maybe hmm 200 calories? That's almost 5,000 calories excess per year, almost 1kg of fat right along the waistline. Of course growing vertically masks the girth increase, but don't forget that cakes aren't the only pieces of crap they're eating!"I feel that there is so many obese children is that because they are not active enough eg sit and play xbox all day."Not being active enough and eating junk food frequently. I believe in a two pronged approach, stop feeding junk to kids at school, get them more active.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, this is stupid, and all that will happen in a lot of cases is the sweets moving onto the back corner of the playground where no one is watching and it'll be easier for kids to leave out classmates they don't like.
    In a class of 30 there's unlikely to be more than 20 that actually have birthdays on school days (weekends and school holidays do exist), so its not actually that often (although I do remember weeks where it happened nearly every day).

ReputationRep:
    bit extreme considering that when someone did bring in a box of celebrations you were only allowed to take a single piece of chocolate...like that small nubbin of chocolate is going to make a kid put on 10pounds

ReputationRep:
    Well at Sixth Form in one of my lessons we had a policy of bringing in birthday cakes on our own birthdays. Tbh, while yes it is unhealthy, no one was fat in the class and it actually perks everyone up for the lesson. Trust me. You'll never feel so excited when someone brings in cake to your lesson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SM6)
    Talk about ruining childhoods.
    If your childhood would have been 'ruined' by not having quite as much cake as you might otherwise have done that's a bit sad.

Personally I think this sounds like a fine idea. While the kids are at school the school and the teachers are responsible for them. I can't see any reason why they shouldn't act in that role to keep kids from loading up on sugar whenever there's a birthday every few days.

ReputationRep:
    Thats sad. I used to love the days when it was someones birthday and they either bought a cake into school or a huge box of sweets. For a lot of us that was the first bit of dessert we were getting in a long time. this is indeed going too far!
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    If your childhood would have been 'ruined' by not having quite as much cake as you might otherwise have done that's a bit sad.

Personally I think this sounds like a fine idea. While the kids are at school the school and the teachers are responsible for them. I can't see any reason why they shouldn't act in that role to keep kids from loading up on sugar whenever there's a birthday every few days.
    Then I'm pretty sure teachers can manage even distribution of sweets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by retro_turtles)
    bit extreme considering that when someone did bring in a box of celebrations you were only allowed to take a single piece of chocolate...like that small nubbin of chocolate is going to make a kid put on 10pounds
    I would wager that has less to do with healthy eating and more about the values of sharing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She-Ra)
    Birthday cake and sweets are being banned from schools across the UK

:fuhrer:

From the Daily Mail

Schools have decided that unhealthy treats should no longer be allowed because of growing obesity and are telling parents that sweet foods are banned.

They're also concerned that nuts in cakes may trigger nut allergies.

Too far?
    Oh come on, Birthdays only happen once a year .

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes this has happened at my first school in year 1 and 2, then I moved schools so I got and gave out sweets again
    But yeah, they said no sweets or chocolate to be brought in for birthdays, just fruit if they wanted to give something to celebrate. That was in 2002.

ReputationRep:
    What needs to be stopped is tuck shops in schools and places like Subway/Mcdonalds giving a discount on meals bought with a sugary drink or snack.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is that people nowadays have grown up to see cake, chocolate and sweets as a daily commodity rather than just an occasional treat. I work at Whsmith where we are supposed to flag our confectionery and I often see parents struggling to pull their kids away, and kids throwing tantrums because they haven't had any chocolate since the day before. I have no problem with the occasional birthday treat but I can partly understand why schools would do this.

ReputationRep:
    Birthday cake and sweets are being banned from schools across the UK

:fuhrer:

From the Daily Mail

Schools have decided that unhealthy treats should no longer be allowed because of growing obesity and are telling parents that sweet foods are banned.

They're also concerned that nuts in cakes may trigger nut allergies.

Too far?
    Too far. I really detest the level of control schools put on the kids.

ReputationRep:
    Too far?
    Yes. Obesity is a growing problem that we must tackle (mixed feelings about Sugar Tax) but we should be able to have our cake and eat it, if you'll pardon the puns

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 25, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.