Turn on thread page Beta

A165 – Crisis Committee Membership Amendment watch

ReputationRep:
    aye
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Not at all. In fact, it's probably good to have contrasting views on crises from time to time. However, JD has never helped the CC in any way, he attacks it at every available opportunity and it's clear that he's only there to cause trouble.

The CC can have a rep from each party but that's not compulsory. For example, the Greens haven't put forward a CC rep. If there is not 1 person in your party who wouldn't join the CC just to cause trouble, and I would surprised if that was the case, then don't put forward a rep.
    I suppose it's not news that you have low standards and live in fantasy land, that much is clear from praising the same crisis being used three times over while being the script of an action film rejected for being so bad and praising crises relying on actions not only improbable but as good as impossible, can't be letting the learned get in the way of a beautiful fiction.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I suppose it's not news that you have low standards and live in fantasy land, that much is clear from praising the same crisis being used three times over while being the script of an action film rejected for being so bad and praising crises relying on actions not only improbable but as good as impossible, can't be letting the learned get in the way of a beautiful fiction.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't have low standards and I don't live in fantasy land. The action film crises were interesting and enjoyable. I can understand why some people didn't enjoy them but if they don't enjoy them, they don't need to have anything to do with the CC. I was just wondering Jammy, if you are planning to release a crises of your own?
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    On this amendment, where I have had to get involved in disputes before I have maintained the position that party leaders have free choice as to who is their representative, as that is how the CC was founded by the House initially (without a Chair). As far as I am concerned the Chair is an administrative position who need not get involved with who is or is not a member at all, and I would not be hugely eager to give them either usergroup controls (we manage fine with Speaker and Deputy Speaker on that front) or the right to expel members. The Chair is not a sort of "Speaker of the Crisis Committee" – that role is done by the Speaker – and nor are they a party leader responsible for recruiting or kicking people out.

I would respect the decision of course were the House to confer those powers to the Chair of the CC but I frankly don't see the need.
    BIB: In that case, is it worth removing the position of Chair of the CC completely to avoid this delusion that some have that the Chair of the CC is a form of Speaker? In fact, though I don't seek to embellish my own role here, why not have the Deputy Speaker as the Chair of the CC? That would mean that the Deputy Speaker would have a more hands on day-to-day role in the running of part of the House and would remove the utter nonsense of this amendment and people trying to be tinpot dictators.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by toronto353)
    BIB: In that case, is it worth removing the position of Chair of the CC completely to avoid this delusion that some have that the Chair of the CC is a form of Speaker? In fact, though I don't seek to embellish my own role here, why not have the Deputy Speaker as the Chair of the CC? That would mean that the Deputy Speaker would have a more hands on day-to-day role in the running of part of the House and would remove the utter nonsense of this amendment and people trying to be tinpot dictators.
    That is an interesting proposition, though one that should initially be proposed within the CC (perhaps using the quiet of voting week or something). If there is significant disagreement over how to proceed I may then take it informally (i.e. not in amendment form as the CC Chair is not mentioned in the MHoC GD/Constitution) to a vote of the House.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't understand why this is controversial. I supported the removal of the crisis committee altogether, but it has failed so we have to try and make it work. It's never going to work if people who oppose its existence are in it and are determined to bring it down. Why shouldn't the chair be able to remove these members?

This is a simple amendment which would make the CC more functional and able to produce better crises. It's not a dictatorship role at all, and if you think it is then you are under some form of delusion due to your opposition to the CC as a whole; it is clearly stated that the Speaker can block the removal of a member if he thinks the Chair is being unreasonable, and it is also possible for the CC members to VoNC the Chair if he is being unreasonable.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Division! Clear the lobbies!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 27, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.