Turn on thread page Beta

re:Sudan Humanitarian Crisis watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wonderboy)
    I think you misunderstood my post...

How can we help these people out if we don't know what is going on before it is too late? Our governments know very well what is going on (they are our rulemakers)...
    You said words to the effect that some people just have to deal with their rotten hand in life. Which I interpreted to mean 'let them sort it out themselves'. Am I incorrect? I'm sure you are aware of the problem in Sudan and so you do know what's going on, and it's not too late to help.

ReputationRep:
    You are incorrect, I didn't mean 'let them sort it out' - I was just pointing out that what ever happens, the chances are they will never 'win'.
    What help people do supply at this time will stop people from dying, the same help 6 months ago would have improved quality of life and lessen the impact of the current problems...

W.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wonderboy)
    You are incorrect, I didn't mean 'let them sort it out' - I was just pointing out that what ever happens, the chances are they will never 'win'.
    What help people do supply at this time will stop people from dying, the same help 6 months ago would have improved quality of life and lessen the impact of the current problems...

W.
    And what help you give now would lessen the impact of the problems in the next six months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley...)
    Some of the causes that cause my heart to twinge and motivate you probably won't bother the majority of people.
    And what causes would they be that you deem worse than the slaughter of the so far 300,000 people on the basis of their ethnicity?

I hope you one day find yourself in a situation where you are in need of the help of others to survive, and that help is not forthcoming. I'm afraid to say I really do mean that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muncrun)
    And what causes would they be that you deem worse than the slaughter of the so far 300,000 people on the basis of their ethnicity?

I hope you one day find yourself in a situation where you are in need of the help of others to survive, and that help is not forthcoming. I'm afraid to say I really do mean that.
    I'm not by any means the only one who hasn't donated, and isn't planning to. Do you hope they end up in a similar situation too?

And I don't really care if you mean that or not. It's your problem, not mine

ReputationRep:
    i dont think you should wish that upon anyone.

but my way of thinking to myself is always, "how would you feel if that was you?"

this rule tends to be a good moral high ground most of the time...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    but my way of thinking to myself is always, "how would you feel if that was you?"
    It's not that I don't care, or even that I agree with what's going on. And of course I wouldn't want it to be happening to me. It's just that I haven't been motivated enough to get round the obstacles to me donating a few quid. Like I said, I'm certainly not the only one with that frame of mind. And that's not taking into account how there are so many people around the world suffering, less than, just as much as, or more so than those unfortunate enough to have been affected by the events in Sudan. Some people will want to help those in the Sudan, other people will help others, and some will help none at all. It's just the way it is.

If muncrun thinks that this makes me a bad person, well there's nothing I can do about that. And I won't be changing because of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley...)
    It's just that I haven't been motivated enough to get round the obstacles to me donating a few quid.
    That is utterly pathetic. You've sat here for half an hour debating why you shouldn't. You could have easily done so in that time.

ReputationRep:
    That is utterly pathetic. You've sat here for half an hour debating why you shouldn't. You could have easily done so in that time.
    I already told you, it's not motivated me enough.

And, in all fairness, it wouldn't be my money I'd be spending.

I'm not going to be donating, so I don't know why you're still bothering. Get started on rounding up the rest of the board and pressuring them into donating. It's only fair.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.