Turn on thread page Beta

Heathrow third runway approved, Goldsmith resigns watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    I pray to god Boris doesn't keep his word, that sight would be spectacular!

I think whether the Tories enter the race, depends on numerous factors, Zac Goldsmith may not be as popular as people think - especially after the disastrous mayoral campaigning. The Tories did exceptionally well in that seat last year because of the LD vote collapse and Labour's loss of appeal. But yes I do agree, if the Tories entered the LDs would get the seat.

I also agree about the unknown candidate. Vince Cable would have been great, although it would just further damage the LD's reputation of being power hungry (i.e. Vince Cable becoming an MP again).
    The hope for the Lib Dems is that the by-election will be very different to the genneral election. In 2015, the tories were successfully able to win lots of votes from right leaning Lib Dems by warning them about the mess that a Labour-SNP coalition would bring.

That isn't a factor at all now.

You are right about Zac's mayoral campaign. It was awful and he sought to make Khan's religion a major factor, playing religious and ethnic communities against each other.

ReputationRep:
    Confused seems to be Boris' default setting.

ReputationRep:
    Boris + Farage = Trump
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by mkap)
    wow I wonder how much taxpayers will have to pay for it. Since they will be paying for it it seems silly that they don't get a say on this matter.
    They do though, that's the very reason the bill doesn't go before the commons for over a year, although it will mostly be NIMBYs being ignored.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by jamestg)
    The questions that arise now are:
    - who will win the by-election?
    Goldsmith has the money to win it. Unless he says some things like in the mayoral election...
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Johnson is such a liar. He didn't oppose it when push came to shove, eg, in the cabinet meeting he voted for it.
    Do you think we wrote one article in favour, and one against?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    wow I wonder how much taxpayers will have to pay for it. Since they will be paying for it it seems silly that they don't get a say on this matter.
    No lol we can't have a referendum for every issue. We elect MPs to make decisions for us.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by BasicMistake)
    (Original post by hoping4thebest)
    Boris + Farage = Trump
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AccountingBabe)
    I live beside an airport and really don't understand why people are moaning about this? Wouldn't bother me in the slightest.
    it would be so more convenient for catching a plane.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't understand the point of his resignation when (a) Theresa May is allowing MPs to dissent and (b) He will vote with the tories on pretty much everything apart from this.

This is shown by how the Tories are not even putting up a candidate against him.

ReputationRep:
    good decision

gatwick and birmingham will eventually get new runways

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Do you think we wrote one article in favour, and one against?
    :lol:

Knowing Boris, he probably advocated and argued against it in the same meeting, then voted in favour, whilst abstaining, then argued for his own resignation, whilst seeking another term in office.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BasicMistake)
    Yes, if confused = cynical.

ReputationRep:
    Long overdue.

Amongst similar comments, one Dan Lewis of the Institute of Directors is quoted in City AM this morning as saying:

We also shouldn’t forget that the Davies Commission process set up a false choice between Heathrow and Gatwick. There remain good arguments for expansion at Gatwick on grounds of competition and cost, and ministers should keep their options open for a second runway there.
    I agree. I don't see why we should always be playing catch-up 50 years after the need arises. Build everything; let's have excess capacity for a change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Long overdue.

Amongst similar comments, one Dan Lewis of the Institute of Directors is quoted in City AM this morning as saying:

I agree. I don't see why we should always be playing catch-up 50 years after the need arises. Build everything; let's have excess capacity for a change.
    Yay. :five: Let's cover the entire surface area of Britain not currently occupied by McDonalds, gas stations, nuclear waste and charity shops with runways. Build a runway in your local beauty spot! Who needs national parks when you can have airports. Let's convert all areas of outstanding natural beauty into terminals and don't give me any of that environmental crap. The whole UK is just about big enough to compete with China provided it is entirely, immediately and comprehensively converted into one huge great big **** off monstrous super huge mega-air-o-drome.

ReputationRep:
    Yay. :five: Let's cover the entire surface area of Britain not currently occupied by McDonalds, gas stations, nuclear waste and charity shops with runways. Build a runway in your local beauty spot! Who needs national parks when you can have airports. Let's convert all areas of outstanding natural beauty into terminals and don't give me any of that environmental crap. The whole UK is just about big enough to compete with China provided it is entirely, immediately and comprehensively converted into one huge great big **** off monstrous super huge mega-air-o-drome.
    We're talking here about relatively small pieces of land set against an increasingly urgent need for further air capacity. I am happy to consider arguments about climate change where we can actually do something useful. In this case, declining to expand our airport capacity would be completely futile as far as climate change is concerned. Such a decision would be effective to hold back this country's economic success and nothing else. Such ridiculous empty gestures are the province of the left, which is not making this call because we have thankfully succeeded in consigning it to total irrelevance in British politics today.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    I really don't understand the point of his resignation when (a) Theresa May is allowing MPs to dissent and (b) He will vote with the tories on pretty much everything apart from this.

This is shown by how the Tories are not even putting up a candidate against him.
    Because he wants attention?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Long overdue.
    I do not think it is overdue at all.

Look, the Guardian says it will be open by 2015.

British Airways says it is "absolutely going to be built"

However, Theresa May says the decision to proceed condemned the British people to uncertainty.

In 2002 there were 189M passengers in the UK a year. By 2014 there were 241M and as the government says there could be 460M by 2020 it is obvious why the runway is now needed.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2003/....greenpolitics

ReputationRep:
    Call me a cynic but I still dont think this is going to happen.

Its taken 50 years so far to get to point where parliament will have a vote, all the plans will be acrutinised over an over, every legal challenge possible will be used, people will try to directly shut down construction, kick up a fuss about forced purchasing etc, etc, etc...

This is going to be much like HS2, billions ofnpublic money spent and nothing ever achieved.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    :lol:

Knowing Boris, he probably advocated and argued against it in the same meeting, then voted in favour, whilst abstaining, then argued for his own resignation, whilst seeking another term in office...
    ...as world president, of bicycles.:yep:

ReputationRep:
    A few labour MPs are calling for labour to not stand a candidate in the by election to encourage their supporters to vote for the Lib dem candidate.

The left and centre left working together? Pah no chance.

I predict that Goldsmith will win but that the Lib Dem + Labour vote will be higher than Goldsmith's and once again I will be complaining about how much more effective the left and centre left could be if they actually worked together like they did in 1997.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 26, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.