Turn on thread page Beta

I'm boycotting Dr Strange watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherlockfan)
    When actors get too big for their boots their work tends to go downhill.
    Yeah, because Hollywood is filled with modest, level headed individuals.

The movie was pretty great, by the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Yeah, because Hollywood is filled with modest, level headed individuals.

The movie was pretty great, by the way.
    And that's why they make so many *****y films. The public just happen to be stupid enough to like them.
    Glad you enjoyed it though. :borat:

ReputationRep:
    I went to see it today, it's really good

ReputationRep:
    It's a good film. I was much impressed, especially as it was "free"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    lol wot

ReputationRep:
    He clearly doesn't want any fans. He calls them deluded, obsessed, scary and 'cumbersome'. It's borderline misogynistic and patronising so I'm not going to contribute to his success.
    Go on then, how is it misogynistic? :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cremated_Spatula)
    Go on then, how is it misogynistic? :rofl:
    He pretends to be all feminist by saying he doesn't like the term cumber*****es but then patronises his fans and treats them like rabid irrational creatures. Then some of the things he's said about pregnancy and motherhood are very sexist.

ReputationRep:
    He pretends to be all feminist by saying he doesn't like the term cumber*****es but then patronises his fans and treats them like rabid irrational creatures. Then some of the things he's said about pregnancy and motherhood are very sexist.
    I think it's more accurate to say he treats the fans that act like rabid, irrational creatures like rabid, irrational creatures. But even if he did treat all his fans like that, it wouldn't be misogynistic at all.

What did he say about the pregnancy that was so offensive to women then?
    You can't just leave it at that, at least give a hint.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's more accurate to say he treats the fans that act like rabid, irrational creatures like rabid, irrational creatures. But even if he did treat all his fans like that, it wouldn't be misogynistic at all.

What did he say about the pregnancy that was so offensive to women then?
    You can't just leave it at that, at least give a hint.
    I'm sorry but I disagree. He's painted a picture in his mind as to what his fans are like which is not true to reality, because hes so big headed he still thinks that every woman wants him. he hasnt been the internets boyfriend since 2012 but he still thinks he is. its laughable really.
    He said something that motherhood enhances woman's career rather than hinder it. just utter ignorance and stupidity.

ReputationRep:
    I have watched it today and it was actually a crap run of the mill cheesy marvel flick with the biggest plot hole in any movie i watched in recent memory.

I had no idea that Chiwetel Ejiofor was in the movie and it made for a very awkward dynamic considering the last role Benedict and Chiwetel were in together was 12 years a slave. It kept taking me out of the movie especially with the recent news that Benedict is descended from former slave owners.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going because he's ugly

weeeeeee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Galadrielll)
    I have watched it today and it was actually a crap run of the mill cheesy marvel flick with the biggest plot hole in any movie i watched in recent memory.
    Fair enough

I had no idea that Chiwetel Ejiofor was in the movie and it made for a very awkward dynamic considering the last role Benedict and Chiwetel were in together was 12 years a slave. It kept taking me out of the movie especially with the recent news that Benedict is descended from former slave owners.
    And what bearing does any of this have on the film that was in front of you?
    Hint: None at all.

ReputationRep:
    The actors portraying the characters in the movie do have a bearing on the perception of the film. Take Nate Parker for example and the sex scandal he has been embroiled in for the past 6 months and look at how it affected the perception of him and the effect it had on the movie's total grossing. The movie has been dropped by mainstream media and cinemas alike and that's not taking into account his case being reexamined in the court of public opinion.

(Original post by an_atheist)

And what bearing does any of this have on the film that was in front of you?
    Hint: None at all.

ReputationRep:
    The actors portraying the characters in the movie do have a bearing on the perception of the film. Take Nate Parker for example and the sex scandal he has been embroiled in for the past 6 months and look at how it affected the perception of him and the effect it had on the movie's total grossing. The movie has been dropped by mainstream media and cinemas alike and that's not taking into account his case being reexamined in the court of public opinion.
    Still not seeing how the two actors last working together in 12 years a slave (a reportedly very good film, never sen it myself) has any bearing on the film. Nor the effect of Cumberbatch's ancestors owning slaves (like seriously, who gives a crap at this point, they're all dead?)

ReputationRep:
    So you admit you have not seen 12 years a slave yet you presume to tell me that I am wrong for expressing my opinion on the two movies?
    I never said that anyone should give a crap, I simply stated my take on Dr Strange and juxtaposed it with 12 years a slave as it has the same two lead actors interacting very closely again under different circumstances. Bennie was a slave owner in the movie who was sympathetic to Chiwetel and in this movie their circumstances were reversed somewhat which made for a strange dynamic. Benedict's ancestors owning a plantation and vast numbers of slaves in Barbados is irrelevant to you perhaps but as a ethnic minority it affects my perception of him least of all because he is a white man in a position of privilege because of his families wealth which was amassed during slavery.

(Original post by an_atheist)
    Still not seeing how the two actors last working together in 12 years a slave (a reportedly very good film, never sen it myself) has any bearing on the film. Nor the effect of Cumberbatch's ancestors owning slaves (like seriously, who gives a crap at this point, they're all dead?)

ReputationRep:
    So you admit you have not seen 12 years a slave yet you presume to tell me that I am wrong for expressing my opinion on the two movies?
    I never said that anyone should give a crap, I simply stated my take on Dr Strange and juxtaposed it with 12 years a slave as it has the same two lead actors interacting very closely again under different circumstances. Bennie was a slave owner in the movie who was sympathetic to Chiwetel and in this movie their circumstances were reversed somewhat which made for a strange dynamic. Benedict's ancestors owning a plantation and vast numbers of slaves in Barbados is irrelevant to you perhaps but as a ethnic minority it affects my perception of him least of all because he is a white man in a position of privilege because of his families wealth which was amassed during slavery.
    Says it all really. Cumberbatch is Caucasian and is from a somewhat wealthy background - And? Who gives a **** about what parts to decides to play in films? His ancestors are dead, he almost certainly didn't meet the ones who owned slaves, so they (the ancestors) are irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but I disagree. He's painted a picture in his mind as to what his fans are like which is not true to reality, because hes so big headed he still thinks that every woman wants him. he hasnt been the internets boyfriend since 2012 but he still thinks he is. its laughable really.
    He said something that motherhood enhances woman's career rather than hinder it. just utter ignorance and stupidity.
    :rofl::rofl::rofl: I can't even

ReputationRep:
    :rofl::rofl::rofl: I can't even
    Then don't.

ReputationRep:

Yet another reason not to see it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Have fun with that

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.