Turn on thread page Beta

Kent Student Union uses Zayn Malik as a face of Black History Month!!!! watch

LOL at the slim shady pic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caravaggio2)
    Id bet my left testicle that they arent studying maths, physics or chemistry.
    Common now, that's easy dosh for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akamega)
    I agree with you. The curriculum can't not portray black people as anything other than subservient unfortunately, as if the last 300 years and slavery encompasses all of black history. If you're going to teach it, it has to be historically accurate and not the same dry stuff over and over again. The problem is, I don't even think history teachers know much about black history outside slavery in America.
    The reason black history month exists is because history of black people in the West has been, to say the least, the bleakest of all histories, perhaps apart from Jewish history. Therefore, a parallel education about the positives of black history is somewhat important to the morale of black people in the West.

ReputationRep:
    This is absurd, but then there shouldn't be a Black History Month in the first place. This is coming from a black person.

It also seems to be an event that gives a good excuse for all the Marxist, pseudo-intellectual, Afrocentric and African nationalist "We wuz kangz" types to rear their ugly heads. I could do without that, thanks. I already have a crazy relative who has thrown in his lot with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oShahpo)
    The reason black history month exists is because history of black people in the West has been, to say the least, the bleakest of all histories, perhaps apart from Jewish history. Therefore, a parallel education about the positives of black history is somewhat important to the morale of black people in the West.
    If their "morale" is so intricately linked to promoting fairy tales about how the Ancient Egyptians were black and other such nonsense then they clearly aren't emotionally secure in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cato the Elder)
    If their "morale" is so intricately linked to promoting fairy tales about how the Ancient Egyptians were black and other such nonsense then they clearly aren't emotionally secure in the first place.
    You're confusing afro-centrism and general black history.

ReputationRep:
    Don't see the need for Black History Month in the first place, nothing but PC nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Excuse me, there are black asians!
    the inhabitants of Ceylon are very dark-skinned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Galadrielll)
    White people gonna white people. I guess. Sigh.
    We just have didn't have time to tell you lot apart. We were too busy conquering you and building the greatest Empire the world has ever seen.

ReputationRep:
    Because the other eleven months are White History Months.

Yeah they really are. strange we learned about America and Race Relations and the KKK and Martin luther king for 2 years and had to do GCSE's on them hmm.

But sure you would expect a White European Country to learn about History that is Mostly European? (Mostly white) and anyway Black history month is Degrading. we already do learn about black history.

ReputationRep:
    Because the other eleven months are White History Months.
    Says who?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wōden)
    We just have didn't have time to tell you lot apart. We were too busy conquering you and building the greatest Empire the world has ever seen.
    You're no worse than those lot who claim the ancient Egyptians were black.
    Greatest empire the world has ever seen? I didn't know the world never saw the Persian, the Ottoman, the Egyptian, the Chinese, or the Babylonian. The world missed on quite a lot I can tell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Galadrielll)
    And don't forget to add 'raping you' as well to the long list of what white people have done to ethnic minorities
    Why do you say "white people" as though they are a collective unit?

Why don't we judge individuals as individuals, instead of labelling them as a group?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamic_Vicz)
    This is not just offensive to black people, it's also offensove to all ethnic minorities in the UK. This clearly shows that if you aren't caucasian then you are part of the 'others' . Clearly their SU isn't diverse.

To think I was considering Kent at one point smh
    Caucasian does not mean white. Indians, Arabs and Hispanics are all Caucasians.

ReputationRep:
    really stupid of them

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by jake4198)
    Why do you say "white people" as though they are a collective unit?

Why don't we judge individuals as individuals, instead of labelling them as a group?
    You can't really win.

On one hand you have white people wanting to be taken as a group and given credit to when it comes to achievements such as the empire or scientific discoveries but not wanting to be judged as a group when it comes to slavery, the kkk and racism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawbAri)
    You can't really win.

On one hand you have white people wanting to be taken as a group and given credit to when it comes to achievements such as the empire or scientific discoveries but not wanting to be judged as a group when it comes to slavery, the kkk and racism.
    I don't want to take credit for the accomplishments of other people, because they're the accomplishments of other people. Any "white person" who does feel the need to take credit from other people's work are probably lacking from any sense of self-accomplishment.

Racism is not exclusive to "white people". In countries like China an India, racism against people with dark we skin has existed for decades - and still exists to this day. If we're going to blame "white people" for slavery, then we should also acknowledge the Arab Slave Trade which not only lasted longer, but involved a larger number of people.

I might be white, but I didn't enslave any black people, so therefore I won't take any responsibility for the actions of my ancestors.

Sent from phone.

I don't want to take credit for the accomplishments of other people, because they're the accomplishments of other people. Any "white person" who does feel the need to take credit from other people's work are probably lacking from any sense of self-accomplishment.

Racism is not exclusive to "white people". In countries like China an India, racism against people with dark we skin has existed for decades - and still exists to this day. If we're going to blame "white people" for slavery, then we should also acknowledge the Arab Slave Trade which not only lasted longer, but involved a larger number of people.

I might be white, but I didn't enslave any black people, so therefore I won't take any responsibility for the actions of my ancestors.

Sent from phone.
    For the first part:
    Well put to be honest. But it's behaviour I observe on a day to day basis on this website. In this thread for example. You get people saying 'we conquered, we created the greatest empire' though they had nothing to do with it nor did they contribute to it. These same people will vehemently deny having anything to do with bad things attributed to 'white people' and ask not to be judged by the actions of ancestors
    It's odd behaviour.

For the second part:
    Slavery etc were just common examples of what people like to blame white people for.

ReputationRep:

Sent from phone.
    in china and india where darker skinned people are discriminated against, i don't think the technical term for it is racism it's called colorism/shadism

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XOR_)
    HAHA that last one lmao :rofl:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.