Turn on thread page Beta

Should I complain about a teacher who is awful at teaching and swears at students? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    Yeah, I would. I've had to do it before. Just go straight to the headteacher, rather than anyone lower down. It can be dealt with quickly and quietly then. In my experience, whenever we had a complaint like that, we'd just go to the headteacher, or the deputy head, and they'd contact other class members to ask about it if we didn't have any proof
    Yeah I completely agree!

ReputationRep:
    Well if he is not a good teacher then go ahead and complain. But if he is a very good teacher but swears then maybe you should mention it to one of the teachers so that they can ask him to stop. However if he is excepts you to get 100% then that is actually quite good as that would mean that you would need to work incredibly hard and if he does not teach you anything or the right topics then SELF TEACH YOURSELF! I mean come on you cannot expect to get an incredibly good teacher who does not swear for each subject you take! You should be a little more INDEPENDENT!

ReputationRep:
    Well if he is not a good teacher then go ahead and complain. But if he is a very good teacher but swears then maybe you should mention it to one of the teachers so that they can ask him to stop. However if he is excepts you to get 100% then that is actually quite good as that would mean that you would need to work incredibly hard and if he does not teach you anything or the right topics then SELF TEACH YOURSELF! I mean come on you cannot expect to get an incredibly good teacher who does not swear for each subject you take! You should be a little more INDEPENDENT! Oh and if you are in the topic maths set then you should not struggle with learning by yourself as you must able to grasp things very fast!

ReputationRep:
    Don't report him for the swearing, report him for the bad teaching. If he were a good teacher but swore, I doubt you'd care.

ReputationRep:
    I had teacher who used to strike the pupils I complained and nothing happened I really should have tried to get him fired make formal complainant to the head of department and the governors and the head that should get his attention.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Del24681)
    Well if he is not a good teacher then go ahead and complain. But if he is a very good teacher but swears then maybe you should mention it to one of the teachers so that they can ask him to stop. However if he is excepts you to get 100% then that is actually quite good as that would mean that you would need to work incredibly hard and if he does not teach you anything or the right topics then SELF TEACH YOURSELF! I mean come on you cannot expect to get an incredibly good teacher who does not swear for each subject you take! You should be a little more INDEPENDENT! Oh and if you are in the topic maths set then you should not struggle with learning by yourself as you must able to grasp things very fast!
    No he's a bad teacher who swears, I would understand if he was very good and swore but he is awful. And aiming for 100% in everything is just silly.
    And I have in fact been self teaching as it is the only way I will do well this year. I learn nothing in his class and do everything at home, honestly there is no point in even attending.
    And I know I can't expect a fantastic teacher for every subject but swearing is just really out of order.
    And yes before I was able to grasp things very well however that was because I had an absolutely fantastic teacher, this year it will take more effort but I am willing to put in more effort. But as mentioned before he rushes when there is no reason to rush, gives you awful notes and can't explain things well, puts students down and uses language not appropriate for a school. Therefore I clearly have a reason to complain.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Speak to his head of department. Even if nothing is done, they will be aware and will remember. If multiple people say so, it is likely something will be done.

As a head of department, I would like to know. I'd have a word with the teacher privately, and perhaps walk by the lesson a couple of times (so I can say "I heard the other day..." instead of "a student came to see me...").

Edit: The way you approach this is key. An entitled pupil coming for a moan will not be taken seriously, someone who is obviously conscientious and concerned about the quality of their education will be. Focus more on the teaching and less on the swearing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasaron)
    Don't report him for the swearing, report him for the bad teaching. If he were a good teacher but swore, I doubt you'd care.
    Correct I wouldn't care, unless he swore directly at me.
    However it is worthwhile reporting him for both things as certainly at my school I know the swearing will be taken very seriously, more seriously than the fact that he teaches badly.

ReputationRep:
    going through this as well and I'm at Uni so complaints are less valued which means I have to directly handle it with them myself

but while you're still at college deffo report, full stop

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathanemptage)
    I had teacher who used to strike the pupils I complained and nothing happened I really should have tried to get him fired make formal complainant to the head of department and the governors and the head that should get his attention.
    Strike as in hit? You'd be better off taking that sort of complaint further than the school, like to your local councils education department, there's no way he should be getting away with that. Could also get your school in a lot of trouble if a complaint like that is ignored.

ReputationRep:
    well hurting the pupils as a form a punishment is another matter - they definitely needs to be reported!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    Speak to his head of department. Even if nothing is done, they will be aware and will remember. If multiple people say so, it is likely something will be done.

As a head of department, I would like to know. I'd have a word with the teacher privately, and perhaps walk by the lesson a couple of times (so I can say "I heard the other day..." instead of "a student came to see me...".

Edit: The way you approach this is key. An entitled pupil coming for a moan will not be taken seriously, someone who is obviously conscientious and concerned about the quality of their education will be. Focus more on the teaching and less on the swearing.
    Hmm, yeah I don't know.. I don't want to make things difficult for him, I just want him to be spoken to and for him to change.
    But certainly my school are very serious about rules and swearing will be taken very seriously, I've made complaints about incompetent teachers before and nothing has been done...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    going through this as well and I'm at Uni so complaints are less valued which means I have to directly handle it with them myself

but while you're still at college deffo report, full stop
    Yeah I understand that a complaint like this would mean nothing at uni...
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by ___Sophie___)
    Hmm, yeah I don't know.. I don't want to make things difficult for him, I just want him to be spoken to and for him to change.
    But certainly my school are very serious about rules and swearing will be taken very seriously, I've made complaints about incompetent teachers before and nothing has been done...
    This is why it shouldn't be about complaining, more expressing your concerns. The head of maths is responsible for all results in his department and for the actions of all staff. They are the people who have the biggest incentive to act in the short term, and will have the most chance to act as well.

For the swearing, it may lead to a formal warning or something, but nothing will improve for you. A teacher is unlikely to be taken off of a class for using bad language, except in exceptional circumstances (targeting a particular pupil or discrimination, say). As such, focus on the teaching style and mention the swearing as part of ineffective classroom management.

Most teachers really do want to do the best for their classes, and I know I would want to know if one of my staff were not achieving this. It may be your particular class (easy to fix - observe the teacher with the class, discuss issues and develop strategies) or it may be a more general problem. Either way, the head of department will want to know, and is the person most likely to affect a change.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I understand that a complaint like this would mean nothing at uni...
    I think maybe just stand up to him for starters
    Don't be afraid to get in trouble because you can easily say it's due to his unprofessional behaviour
    Then he'd have to get audited perhaps by a higher at the school. Of course which he'll be on his best behaviour but yea. Teachers tend to defend each other over students allll the time so I'd suggest getting lippy yourself and see how it goes. Because as you get older yea complaints are ignored and you'll end up outcasting yourself I reckon. You're gonna have to learn now how to chat back to superiors. But I was just told the biggest **** you is getting good grades and leaving with good grades. My lecturer yelled at me during a presentation because I told her she was wrong about something, she doesn't like that. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    what course are you taking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    I think maybe just stand up to him for starters
    Don't be afraid to get in trouble because you can easily say it's due to his unprofessional behaviour
    Then he'd have to get audited perhaps by a higher at the school. Of course which he'll be on his best behaviour but yea. Teachers tend to defend each other over students allll the time so I'd suggest getting lippy yourself and see how it goes. Because as you get older yea complaints are ignored and you'll end up outcasting yourself I reckon. You're gonna have to learn now how to chat back to superiors. But I was just told the biggest **** you is getting good grades and leaving with good grades. My lecturer yelled at me during a presentation because I told her she was wrong about something, she doesn't like that. :rolleyes:
    Yes exactly! He hasn't ever swore directly at me but if he did I would be having none of it! I'm not afraid to stand up to teachers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Del24681)
    what course are you taking?
    Scottish highers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    This is why it shouldn't be about complaining, more expressing your concerns. The head of maths is responsible for all results in his department and for the actions of all staff. They are the people who have the biggest incentive to act in the short term, and will have the most chance to act as well.

For the swearing, it may lead to a formal warning or something, but nothing will improve for you. A teacher is unlikely to be taken off of a class for using bad language, except in exceptional circumstances (targeting a particular pupil or discrimination, say). As such, focus on the teaching style and mention the swearing as part of ineffective classroom management.

Most teachers really do want to do the best for their classes, and I know I would want to know if one of my staff were not achieving this. It may be your particular class (easy to fix - observe the teacher with the class, discuss issues and develop strategies) or it may be a more general problem. Either way, the head of department will want to know, and is the person most likely to affect a change.
    Still think it's best just to go straight to the head teacher as I know that he would want to know that this sort of thing is going on in his school. Don't know how things are at your school but they sound different to how things are at my school.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Still think it's best just to go straight to the head teacher as I know that he would want to know that this sort of thing is going on in his school. Don't know how things are at your school but they sound different to how things are at my school.
    Schools tend to have similar management structures. The headmaster will speak with the head of department and then similar actions will be taken. The key distinction is that the head of department will feel under attack and as if he has to defend his department. Going to them discretely will avoid this issue.

Unless you have some reason not to trust the head of maths, he is the person to speak with. The most important thing is to voice your concerns to someone.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.