Turn on thread page Beta

Which A level is harder physics or further maths? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    Philosophers always seem to big themselves up. ****in Aristotle was sayin contemplation and philosophy was super important for the good life, Plato was saying the life of the philosopher was the way of getting closer to the forms or some such bs... can they chill

- a philosopher
    Ego sum, ego rigentibus

I chill therefore I am.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socratesfam)
    Ego sum, ego rigentibus

I chill therefore I am.
    sucko mon dicko
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If you go by grade statistics, then further maths is easier, but it is different for everyone. I can't say what the hardest A level is because I haven't done every single subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socratesfam)
    Physics is easier if you're intelligent, by which I mean capable of understanding abstract ideas quickly and thinking for yourself.
    Maths is easier if you're knowledgeable, as in capable of memorizing large chunks of information and mindlessly regurgitating it on paper like a soulless machine.
    It's the other way around. With physics you just memorise ********.
    With maths you have to be intelligent and actually think

ReputationRep:
    Physics is hard because you have to think for yourself wayyy too much. Pretty much all the questions in exams are 'unseen' or 'physics in application' type questions, and they pretty much never simply ask you to solve an equation, whereas with further maths once you understand the concepts applying them is easier as there's limits to what type of question they can ask you. In physics you can do all past papers and still find new papers hard, whereas with maths if you've done past papers you're pretty much good to go. However, if you think you'll be okay with the arbitrariness of physics (which people who enjoy actually learning and understanding it are), then go for it - I'm doing the new Edexcel papers and last year, 54% was an A (although maybe just because it was the first year). If you can't be bothered to actually understand a subject and would rather just memorise methods then do maths (which I wish I would have done tbh).

ReputationRep:
    Physics humbles everyone. It's the first lesson is to make sure that you know nothing and are a soulless piece of ****. It's a pit where some of the smartest students are constantly getting their faces rubbed in the dirt of bad performance. In all seriousness, the difficulty in physics is not only the tricky sometimes abstract concepts but the application. They are worlds apart and regurgitating doesn't work all too well. I remember the first 4/5 tests we had in physics, half of our physics cohort do further maths with bloody high results, the school average. A respectful D. I believe that the further maths concepts seem trickier but the questions are a reflection of understanding and constantly practicing. With physics, all your preparation could be thrown out of the window with one weird retarded problem that makes you question your sanity. But you know what, now I know why the grass is green, the sea is green and the sky is green. Physics!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.