Turn on thread page Beta

Convince me that abortion isn't wrong in many cases watch

(Original post by cherryred90s)
    If it isn't already clear, I'm pro choice
    And if I wasn't clear, the point of this thread was not to state whether your pro-life or pro-choice, but to understand the stigma attached to pro-lifers and why my view which is so apparent to me is not so to so many others. It is a big debate, that you have stated, and you can have an opinion, but that wasn't the purpose of this thread. Don't patronise people for having opinions that differ from your own.

(Original post by loveire&song)
    Did you read my post...?
    I didn't say you did want to force your opinions on anyone else; I literally said "I'm not saying you want to"
    Yeah you did. I didn't read it properly and you make a very valid point. Sorry about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yeah you did. I didn't read it properly and you make a very valid point. Sorry about that.
    That's alright

ReputationRep:
    If I hadn't had one I don't think I'd have been able to go to uni, for lots of reasons. I feel bad about it but not as bad as I'd feel if I hadn't.

(Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    I can't fix stupidity, brah.
    And I can't fix your self-righteousness. If you have nothing worthwhile to contribute, don't bother.

(Original post by lamaragymnast)
    If I hadn't had one I don't think I'd have been able to go to uni, for lots of reasons. I feel bad about it but not as bad as I'd feel if I hadn't.
    The kind of selfless attitude that brings so much peace and goodwill to the human race. If only more people thought like this.

ReputationRep:
    And if I wasn't clear, the point of this thread was not to state whether your pro-life or pro-choice, but to understand the stigma attached to pro-lifers and why my view which is so apparent to me is not so to so many others. It is a big debate, that you have stated, and you can have an opinion, but that wasn't the purpose of this thread. Don't patronise people for having opinions that differ from your own.
    And if I wasn't clear, I've clearly stated that this is futile. Why should anyone care to convince you? Why should someone have to justify their personal decision to an absolute stranger?

ReputationRep:
    The kind of selfless attitude that brings so much peace and goodwill to the human race. If only more people thought like this.
    I take it that's weak sarcasm? You don't really know the circumstances of what happened, how I got pregnant, how old I was, any medical details or anything, so please don't try and comment on things you know nothing about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sternumator)
    I was unwanted or unplanned as my mum would say. I don't care. I'm just grateful to be alive.
    There's a huge difference between unplanned and UNWANTED. Some people have experienced years of abuse and unhappiness because of that. A lot of them continue to experience problems like trust or attachment issues even as adults, the list is never ending.

(Original post by cherryred90s)
    And if I wasn't clear, I've clearly stated that this is futile. Why should anyone care to convince you? Why should someone have to justify their personal decision to an absolute stranger?
    Fair point I perhaps shouldn't have titled the thread so imperatively, it was meant to be more of a discussion based on the idea that somebody who agrees with most of the social beliefs of the average pro-choice individual, cannot understand it.

ReputationRep:
    But you are placing your notions onto a bundle of cells.

Why is this embryo all of a sudden a human being, with all this potential? An embryo is a person, yet an ovum/ sperm cell isn't? So where is the line then? What for you, is the moment where cells become a human being?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiritsugu)
    Why are you pressured into changing your opinions? Are you a doctor who deals with abortion? Probably not, so don't think too much about it.

Learn all the arguments and philosophies and come to your own conclusion. My conclusion is that it is on an individual basis.

So about the convenience case for someone who got drunk, I think they should be allowed to abort because having and raising a child will affect their whole life. I think you're making the "convenience" sound like such a little issue - but it's not.

"Society needs both parents and non-parents, both the work party and the home party. While raising children is the most important work most people will do, not everyone is cut out for parenthood. And, as many a childless teacher has proved, raising kids is not the only important contribution a person can make to their future." Virginia Postre

What's plucking your strings is the fact that your belief (I'm not saying you're right or wrong at this time) is that no matter how old the pregnancy is, it's still a human that could be given life; killing it is cruel. My argument is that it's not a human life until it's born. I still agree that it could have been given human life, but I think that if the mother/father aren't somewhat prepared, then the child should not suffer. Furthermore, the mother/father should be given heavy sanctions but that's just what I think. Such sanction includes lots of compulsory education and awareness sessions and perhaps other tangible things such as fines etc.

I repped and then I read the last paragraph.

(Original post by lamaragymnast)
    I take it that's weak sarcasm? You don't really know the circumstances of what happened, how I got pregnant, how old I was, any medical details or anything, so please don't try and comment on things you know nothing about.
    Honestly, none of that is relevant.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I think Ciel pretty much called it at post #4.
    Why do you feel the need to be anonymous over being anti abortion/ pro life?

ReputationRep:
    Ultimately it is the woman's choice, if she has a sudden change of heart and feels that she cannot raise a child sufficiently then she should be allowed to a abort; would you rather have a child that knows it's biological parents do not want it? That can cause horrendous psychological problems and can lead to an unhappy life, I'd rather give an unaware foetus a quick death before it's real life begins than have a child that is abandoned or neglected by unwilling parents; such a life shouldn't be forced on anyone because of abortion laws

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, none of that is relevant.
    Actually, if it's a situation your in yourself, it very much is relevant. Sorry, but you know nothing.

(Original post by 999tigger)
    I think Ciel pretty much called it at post #4.
    Why do you feel the need to be anonymous over being anti abortion/ pro life?
    I'm usually anonymous on here anyway because my account has my real name on it. But it's because I know I'll be quickly judged, perhaps rightly so, and I don't want to fall out with anyone. I rarely talk about my opinions on abortion even with people I'm very close to. Call me a coward but I guess the point I'm trying to make is I'm not sure it's an opinion that's worth losing respect over, so I'm trying to be open minded. But they'll still judge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    I repped and then I read the last paragraph.
    lol, feel free to argue against something I said that you didn't agree with. We may have a civilized discussion.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    And I can't fix your self-righteousness. If you have nothing worthwhile to contribute, don't bother.
    Not self-righteous, love.

I'm also not an idiot harping on about the 'poor innocent babies being killed'.

But if you killed a newborn it wouldn't be aware and that surely can't be okay?
    But abortion does not involve a newborn!!! Its a foetus that is not alive in your womb that has no awareness and is not even conscience of what is going on.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.