I'm bored at work, ask me anything watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caitlinnnmay)
    Glad you think so
    Yup a priori knowledge has very little use to us

ReputationRep:
    Yaaay I'm happy with that
    Empirically speaking, Jay Z is a top 3 rapper and Kanye is a lyrically deficient producer masquerading as a rapper.

But I'm glad you're happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will'o'wisp)
    Yup a priori knowledge has very little use to us
    uwotm8? Practically all of maths is a priori knowledge.

Teacher: What is 2+2?
    will o'wisp: ANSWER IS A PRIORI, DOES NOT COMPUTE, NO ANSWER, NOT USEFUL BLAAAAAAAH
    Teacher: Anyone else?
    Rationalist: 4, obviously.
    Teacher: Well done, A*. All of the empiricists fail the class and consequently have to go to the most subpar institute known to man....... OXFORD. Rationalists, you're all awesome chaps, congrats on getting into Cambridge.
    will'o wisp: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socratesfam)
    Empirically speaking, Jay Z is a top 3 rapper and Kanye is a lyrically deficient producer masquerading as a rapper.

But I'm glad you're happy.
    Like I said, I don't have a real opinion, I know nothing about rap music

ReputationRep:
    h
    Like I said, I don't have a real opinion, I know nothing about rap music
    What kind of music do you listen to?

ReputationRep:
    How old are you? What uni did you go to? What were your results in GCSE and A-Level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VNN)
    Are you sure you should be procrastinating on TSR at work?
    What if you get caught?
    How long have you been in your job?
    If not so long,maybe you should quit if you are very bored of it?(or is it just an occasional things as with every profession)
    What do you do?
    Yeah it's fine. I don't do much here cause it's so quiet. I answer the phone when it rings and occasionally send an email. I've only been here 3 months, it's a year long contract so I'm gonna stick it out. I work at an estate agents

ReputationRep:
    uwotm8? Practically all of maths is a priori knowledge.

Teacher: What is 2+2?
    will o'wisp: ANSWER IS A PRIORI, DOES NOT COMPUTE, NO ANSWER, NOT USEFUL BLAAAAAAAH
    Teacher: Anyone else?
    Rationalist: 4, obviously.
    Teacher: Well done, A*. All of the empiricists fail the class and consequently have to go to the most subpar institute known to man....... OXFORD. Rationalists, you're all awesome chaps, congrats on getting into Cambridge.
    will'o wisp: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Maths uses logic to deduce x
    Where does logic come from?
    We learn it
    If you have some who's taught nonsense things for the first 14 years of their life let's say and they're secluded away from society and never have they met someone else but the person teaching them nonsense. When they're released into the world they will indeed spout nonsense. Thus we learn logic.

The very first thing we have ever learnt from maths i'm sure has been tested and we do not just "know" it and not use experience. The first people who first started counting things would not be innate. They would first have to test it and from that first test of i have 1 thing and another thing so i have 2 things or whatever. Deriving from that we have made a system of logic where we add stuff and multiply etc

ReputationRep:
    What is your dream job?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShiawaseNekox3)
    How old are you? What uni did you go to? What were your results in GCSE and A-Level?
    I'm 19, I didn't go to uni, might do in a couple of years. I got 2 As, 4 Bs, 4 Cs at GCSE and CCD at A Level not great, but I'm not ashamed tbh

ReputationRep:
    Maths uses logic to deduce x
    Where does logic come from?
    We learn it
    If you have some who's taught nonsense things for the first 14 years of their life let's say and they're secluded away from society and never have they met someone else but the person teaching them nonsense. When they're released into the world they will indeed spout nonsense. Thus we learn logic.

The very first thing we have ever learnt from maths i'm sure has been tested and we do not just "know" it and not use experience. The first people who first started counting things would not be innate. They would first have to test it and from that first test of i have 1 thing and another thing so i have 2 things or whatever. Deriving from that we have made a system of logic where we add stuff and multiply etc
    Bold and incorrect statement to say "we learn logic." Many people are inherently capable of seeing the logic that 2+2=4 without being taught. You're making so many incorrect presumptions in your post I don't know where to start.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starfab)
    What is your dream job?
    My dream job would be animal conservation abroad. But realistically, I'd like to go into recruitment or marketing

I work at an estate agents.
    Favourite colour is yellow.
    And what??
    What's your favourite position?

ReputationRep:
    h

What kind of music do you listen to?
    This is a hard question to answer, I don't listen to one kind of music. I listen to all sorts

ReputationRep:
    Bold and incorrect statement to say "we learn logic." Many people are inherently capable of seeing the logic that 2+2=4 without being taught. You're making so many incorrect presumptions in your post I don't know where to start.....
    really? maybe i'm wrong

but i've never seen anyone who's never been exposed to any sort of maths know that 2+2=4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    What's your favourite position?
    Sex position? If so, cowgirl

ReputationRep:
    really? maybe i'm wrong

but i've never seen anyone who's never been exposed to any sort of maths know that 2+2=4
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srinivasa_Ramanujan

ReputationRep:
    What an impressive guy. even so.

"Though he had almost no formal training in pure mathematics "
    Implies he had some training be it even 1 lesson.
    I'm not denying that there isn't someone who's never been exposed to math ever and been able to learn that 2+2=4

That guy tho is very smart and has the brain to teach himself.

ReputationRep:
    What an impressive guy. even so.

"Though he had almost no formal training in pure mathematics "
    Implies he had some training be it even 1 lesson.
    I'm not denying that there isn't someone who's never been exposed to math ever and been able to learn that 2+2=4

That guy tho is very smart and has the brain to teach himself.
    LOL all I'm saying is a priori knowledge is far from useless. Sure, empiricism is massively valuable and is the 21st century way to acquire knowledge, but for centuries a priori knowledge gave us the foundations to test and refine later.

ReputationRep:
    LOL all I'm saying is a priori knowledge is far from useless. Sure, empiricism is massively valuable and is the 21st century way to acquire knowledge, but for centuries a priori knowledge gave us the foundations to test and refine later.
    well a priori knowledge would've only been useful thousands of years ago

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.