Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    Any help appreciated
    Hey Cavy, just some general tips:

- Go over the course details on the website. Have a printout.

- Go through your PS. Have a printout.

- Take a pen, some blank paper along with the above copies with you. You don't have to show everything, rather, keep it in a bag or something just in case you need it.

- Be prepared to discuss your PS, the course, your interests, why you've decided to choose this course, this university, future prospects etc. you'll want to cover all your bases. Think of all the questions and answers, take notes and bring them along as well just in case.

- Dress appropriately.

- Practice several times before you go. Build up your confidence. Be prepared and know what you're likely to say or elaborate on.

I realise it seems OTT, but better than being underprepared and regretting it.

Is there anything in particular that you're afraid of? Basically, you're gonna go in, talk to one or more people regarding your chosen course at this particular university and a bit about yourself. Just think of it as a conversation and let it flow, but be professional too.

Also, don't be afraid of asking for further information from them. It's a two-way thing after all... you're also doing this to check whether this is the right fit for you.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Axel Johann)
    I know right haha, sorry just been on a hiatus, I'm slowly coming back though!

Yeah things are going great :jumphug: I hope things have been going well for you too.

No problem haha

OOh and here's another one I learnt:

You can't use this often, but if you're in a tight spot and really need those precious seconds to formulate an answer, ask them to repeat the question, again don't use this all the time otherwise it'll look like you don't understand anything xD but if you're caught offguard you can use it. Then you can use the seconds they take to repeat the question to quickly finish up your answer in your head!

Other than that, remember that your back has to be straight, no slouching, even when you sit normally, that's still kinda slouching. And yeah eye contact if you can

Rehearsing with friends is always good too
    Tyvm Axel, the sitting thing is acc a good point bc i tend to slouch
    and tbh i think rehearsing is the only way forward really just gonna grab any teacher i can to take a look at my portfolio and go through it with me
    ty again x

(Original post by Lord Samosa)
    In terms of nerves, just remind yourself that the interviewer is just human, a normal person with likes and can't wait for the weekend like the rest of us. Be yourself and try to remain calm, I'm sure you'll do great!
    :laugh: true, ty Samosa :hugs:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    Hey Cavy, just some general tips:

- Go over the course details on the website. Have a printout.

- Go through your PS. Have a printout.

- Take a pen, some blank paper along with the above copies with you. You don't have to show everything, rather, keep it in a bag or something just in case you need it.

- Be prepared to discuss your PS, the course, your interests, why you've decided to choose this course, this university, future prospects etc. you'll want to cover all your bases. Think of all the questions and answers, take notes and bring them along as well just in case.

- Dress appropriately.

- Practice several times before you go. Build up your confidence. Be prepared and know what you're likely to say or elaborate on.

I realise it seems OTT, but better than being underprepared and regretting it.

Is there anything in particular that you're afraid of? Basically, you're gonna go in, talk to one or more people regarding your chosen course at this particular university and a bit about yourself. Just think of it as a conversation and let it flow, but be professional too.

Also, don't be afraid of asking for further information from them. It's a two-way thing after all... you're also doing this to check whether this is the right fit for you.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to write all of that out :hugs: that is so so invaluable tbh
    and yeh mostly the confidence side, im not confident at all and physically speaking is quite difficult bc i tend to slur my words but ill just try to enunciate better and hopefully it will all be ok
    thank you for what you said about the paper thing, hadn't thought of that
    :hugs:
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    Any help appreciated
    Art interviews go one of two ways. They'll either pour over your portfolio asking you lots of questions about your work OR they'll look through your portfolio for 30 seconds and then ask you unrelated questions. If you get the second don't get offended /freeze. They've seen a thousand portfolios so can make a judgement on your art abilities very quickly and they're spending time asking other questions to understand if you are teachable. Likewise a lot of art interviews won't mention your ps - the interviewers might not even have read it.

Also one reason a lot of applicants get rejected is that they don't bring a portfolio they bring a folder containing everything they've ever done. Read the guidelines for your physical portfolio (if they don't send them with your interview invite then ask for them) and follow them.

Don't worry too much about dressing smartly or acting confident. Wear and be comfortable. If you're accepted you won't be expecting to dress up to the nines for your course. Applicants who are uncomfortably formal will not get the most out of an interview.

Interviewers know you might be nervous - they're interested in getting past that to know what you're like, what you like, how you work and how you learn.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 30, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.