Turn on thread page Beta

Should a second UK Referendum be called? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    We also have no idea if that will even happen. And it likely would not any time soon.

Yeah.

yes member countries are never allowed to veto the EU on anything ever nope that would be madness

It's that simple, is it? huh.

Examples?

Examples? Empty statements are nice
    TBH Waifuism is a disease

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jess_Harding)
    There are many arguments to suggest that perhaps the Referendum was not a just display of pulblic opinion. One argument for this is that the public were not told enough about the potential outcomes of either staying or leaving, and even prominent political figures are now admitting to lies and deceit involving the information we were given.
    The World turns, the sun rises and politicians lie - eternal truths which people factored in when they cast their vote.
    The question is moot. There will be no second referendum while May is in the driving seat. More to the point, there shouldn't be, the question is settled. If you had a re run and Remain narrowly won, what would you do then? Best of 3/5/7, maybe rock, paper scissors?
    I suspect the issue will be settled by a general election. The first time Brexit legislation is blocked, especially if ambushed in the Lords, TM will make it a constitutional issue - that Parliament is thwarting the expressed will of the Sovereign People. She'd then move a motion for an early election [S2 Fixed Term Parliaments Act] which requires 2/3 of the House, but how could Labour refuse and still pretend to be a major player?
    The state Labour's in she could put slaughter of the first born on the manifesto, never mind Brexit, and come out with an increased majority. She's nothing to fear, every local authority region in England and Wales, bar London which is increasingly a place apart, voted to leave and she's nothing to lose in Scotland.
    She gets a personal mandate, delegitimises the Remainers, gives Labour a good kicking and herself five full years to get things back on an even keel - for her what's not to like?
    A bonus would be if she got to delay Article 50 till nearer or after the French and German elections, so she's not negotiating with politicians in "election mode"; though if Muti has had enough and stands aside Schtauble might not be May's idea of an ideal replacement...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    I'm sorry, but you can't have it both ways. You can't in one breath say that because we haven't left yet that means that the current lack of disaster now isn't indicative of a lack of disaster after the UK actually leaves the EU and then in the next say that there have been a negative impact as a result of the vote and that this IS indicative of ruination after the UK leaves the EU.
    The point I was making was unrelated. I apologise for making it seem like I was conflating these things. What I was trying to show was how you could spin it both ways and how we could still be losing even if we still had growth. I was trying to address the absolute nature of the previous statement and also debunk the latest data being indicative of brexit. I should have been more careful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    I'm sorry, but you can't have it both ways. You can't in one breath say that because we haven't left yet that means that the current lack of disaster now isn't indicative of a lack of disaster after the UK actually leaves the EU and then in the next say that there have been a negative impact as a result of the vote and that this IS indicative of ruination after the UK leaves the EU.
    I am really sorry for my statement, it was very disingenuous and a terrible mistake.

Thank you for calling out my hypocrisy.

ReputationRep:
    Although I did campaign for Remain and I still believe we should remain in the EU, calling a second referendum this soon would only complicate an already complex issue. The result of this referendum should be respected and BREXIT happen. Unless in the unlikely event an election is held between now and May 2020 and a new government is elected on a mandate to hold a second referendum.

ReputationRep:
    A question to anyone calling for a revote.....what will your cut off be for a clear majority?
    What if the vote says stay in by 1%
    What if it says leave by 0.5%
    Shall we go for best out of three?
    If you had got your way and the vote was stay by the same amount would you be calling for a re-vote becasuse nobody understood all the consequences of staying?

ReputationRep:
    A second referendum sounds like Nicola Sturgeon's idea of keep asking the same question until you get the answer you want.

We had a referendum. We got a result. Now we need to move on and make the best of a (to my mind 'bad' situation instead of carping on about the result last June and trying every which way to undermine it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jess_Harding)
    There are many arguments to suggest that perhaps the Referendum was not a just display of pulblic opinion. One argument for this is that the public were not told enough about the potential outcomes of either staying or leaving, and even prominent political figures are now admitting to lies and deceit involving the information we were given.
    I feel like there should be a "Are you sure you really want to do this now you've had more time to think about it?" question put to everyone as it feels too big a deal to just go ahead on one vote, especially given the closeness of the result.

But, well, we live in a democracy, it is what it is and we're going to have to make it work, we shouldn't have a second referendum really. It sends a message about the seriousness of such votes in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacarch12)
    TBH Waifuism is a disease
    I don't suffer from it myself but I fail to see its relevance to brexit regardless

ReputationRep:
    Those are not necessarily my views, only the views of many members of the public. Of course there was deceit in both campaigns, but surely that in itself should call for a second referendum where the voters understand better the possible outcomes of either side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    I don't suffer from it myself but I fail to see its relevance to brexit regardless
    Unfortunately it appears that you do suffer.

ReputationRep:
    A second referendum was held on June 23rd this year. The first, in 1975, asked Britons whether they wanted to join a trading club for wealthy Western European nations. So, no, you don't always know the precise detail of what you're going to get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    A second referendum was held on June 23rd this year. The first, in 1975, asked Britons whether they wanted to join a trading club for wealthy Western European nations. So, no, you don't always know the precise detail of what you're going to get.
    Haha good point hahaha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    No it didn't. We joined in 1973. The 1975 vote was about staying in.

ReputationRep:
    Let's say there were a second referendum. Regardless of the outcome, on what basis would there not be a third or fourth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacarch12)
    Unfortunately it appears that you do suffer.
    Upon googling the definition I am quite certain that I do not have any really serious romantic attraction to any anime character. Regardless if your only counter to any point anybody makes is an empty personal insult that doesn't actually address any point being made against you perhaps you shouldn't be hanging around in debate heavy sections of the forum. Best left to people that can actually do debating, you know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    Let's say there were a second referendum. Regardless of the outcome, on what basis would there not be a third or fourth?
    The Neverendum.

ReputationRep:
    Will brexit effect the cost of socks?

ReputationRep:
    We shouldn't have had the first one never mind the second.There is a reason we are a parlimentary democracy and not a direct one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymoùs)
    Will brexit effect the cost of socks?
    We are primarily a sock importing country. The fall in the pound since the Brexit vote will increase the price of socks.

Tariffs on socks will also drive up the price if no free trade deal is reached.

However at the luxury end of the market UK sock prices may fall if Common Agricultural Policy reform favour sheep farmers.

Selina Scott who has a mohair sock-making business was a highly visible pro-Brexit campigner

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.