Turn on thread page Beta

Did you intentionally choose RG unis? watch

• View Poll Results: How many RG universities did you apply to?
    10.13%
    7.74%
    9.56%
    13.42%
    21.73%
    37.43%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamic_Vicz)
    I am going to be applying to Manchester, Nottingham, KCL, UCL and Surrey for Mathematics. Really want offers from Manchester and Nottingham. Congrats on your offer from Manchester. What is your conditional offer for Manchester?
    Awesome! My offer is AAB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    All 5 are RG`s. Basically the top 6 except Cambridge for my desired degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jerome85)
    Awesome! My offer is AAB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah great!. Is Manchester a potential firm or insurance choice for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shitekanker)
    All 5 are RG`s. Basically the top 6 except Cambridge for my desired degree.
    So Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Durham and St Andrews?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    ...and block
    and kill

ReputationRep:
    I've gone for all RG because besides St Andrews the best universities for History are all in the RG, I've gone for Cambridge, King's, Bristol, Durham and Newcastle and so far have offers from Bristol (A*AA), Newcastle(AAA/AAB with an A in EPQ) and King's (AAA).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamic_Vicz)
    Would you consider Warwick & Durham to be prestigious?
    It depends what you mean by prestigious I mean their is Prestigious for the UK in which case Yes Durham and Warwick are definitely prestigious. For UK top 5 is creme le crem and top ten is Elite

Top 20 is kind of okay you can live with that but will always feel a sadness within.

However their is also internationally and if you want something that stands out globally the rankings get a bit skewed, for example Bath and Loughborough may rank high in the UK but internationally they rank below universities they top on the UK leagues. I want to get something that has prestige internationally as well as in The UK.

I basically added the rankings from the global best for maths and the global best institutions as a whole and divided by two, with rounding to get a list of world class rep universities the general Rule I go with is top 100 is world class but it is hard to get both high scores for maths and high scores for institution as a whole so I allow multiplier of 1.5 to allow a score of 150.

Id normally say top 10 so I allow top 15. A* grade prestige
    Then top 30 so I allow 45 A grade prestige
    top 50 so I allow 75 B grade Prestige
    Top 100 so 150 C grade Prestige

Prestige Category A*
    3. Cambridge
    5. Oxford
    11. Imperial

This category is the elite of the elite world class no comparison delighted if you get into here, go all out to get into one of these 3

prestige Category A

28.Edinburgh
    42. UCL
    42. Warwick

This Category is the top of the world class whilst been just outside the ultimate glory Still really Elite and highly prestigious you can be delighted with this but not quite as happy as A* category

Prestige Category B
    53.Manchester
    57. LSE
    59. Bristol
    74. Kings

This category is world class But not world class Elite you can be satisfied with this but will always have the pain of knowing whilst your technically got into world class you didn't get into Elite world class. I guess can be satisfied with this.

Prestige Category C
    76. Nottingham
    79. Birmingham
    95. Glasgow
    110. Leeds
    150. Durham

This is category is kind of just scraping world class you can definitely live with going into this category but you will always feel you let yourself down. you still got yourself Prestige but its kind of like just scraping it.

This can be misleading though I mean world if your not worried about international reputation then Bath and LoughBorough are very strong universities and Durham fairs a lot better rather then Just scraping in.

there are still some universities that have very good career prospects and still worth going to like Surrey, It doesn't have Prestige but it is a very strong university.

Prestige matters a lot to me though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke7456)
    It depends what you mean by prestigious I mean their is Prestigious for the UK in which case Yes Durham and Warwick are definitely prestigious. For UK top 5 is creme le crem and top ten is Elite

Top 20 is kind of okay you can live with that but will always feel a sadness within.

However their is also internationally and if you want something that stands out globally the rankings get a bit skewed, for example Bath and Loughborough may rank high in the UK but internationally they rank below universities they top on the UK leagues. I want to get something that has prestige internationally as well as in The UK.

I basically added the rankings from the global best for maths and the global best institutions as a whole and divided by two, with rounding to get a list of world class rep universities the general Rule I go with is top 100 is world class but it is hard to get both high scores for maths and high scores for institution as a whole so I allow multiplier of 1.5 to allow a score of 150.

Id normally say top 10 so I allow top 15. A* grade prestige
    Then top 30 so I allow 45 A grade prestige
    top 50 so I allow 75 B grade Prestige
    Top 100 so 150 C grade Prestige

Prestige Category A*
    3. Cambridge
    5. Oxford
    11. Imperial

This category is the elite of the elite world class no comparison delighted if you get into here, go all out to get into one of these 3

prestige Category A

28.Edinburgh
    42. UCL
    42. Warwick

This Category is the top of the world class whilst been just outside the ultimate glory Still really Elite and highly prestigious you can be delighted with this but not quite as happy as A* category

Prestige Category B
    53.Manchester
    57. LSE
    59. Bristol
    74. Kings

This category is world class But not world class Elite you can be satisfied with this but will always have the pain of knowing whilst your technically got into world class you didn't get into Elite world class. I guess can be satisfied with this.

Prestige Category C
    76. Nottingham
    79. Birmingham
    95. Glasgow
    110. Leeds
    150. Durham

This is category is kind of just scraping world class you can definitely live with going into this category but you will always feel you let yourself down. you still got yourself Prestige but its kind of like just scraping it.

This can be misleading though I mean world if your not worried about international reputation then Bath and LoughBorough are very strong universities and Durham fairs a lot better rather then Just scraping in.

there are still some universities that have very good career prospects and still worth going to like Surrey, It doesn't have Prestige but it is a very strong university.

Prestige matters a lot to me though.
    Warwick is not and will never be above Durham, Bristol and KCL.

And LSE totally wipes the floor with it. And then throws it in the bin too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Fergo)
    Warwick is not and will never be above Durham, Bristol and KCL.

And LSE totally wipes the floor with it. And then throws it in the bin too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    world rankings disagree but I am talking global reputation as a whole but also maths reputation.

Warwick has a very strong reputation for maths.

It is true that in the global rankings as a whole Bristol KCL and LSE out rank them.

although you will actually find Durham is behind Warwick,

http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...-rankings/2016

LSE are good for economics and also good for maths but for maths Warwick beats them which puts Warwick overall above them.

Kings college sucks for maths, Yes they are 21st in the world as an institution However not for maths.

Your really going to claim that KCL is better for maths then Warwick?

ReputationRep:
    world rankings disagree but I am talking global reputation as a whole but also maths reputation.

Warwick has a very strong reputation for maths.

It is true that in the global rankings as a whole Bristol KCL and LSE out rank them.

although you will actually find Durham is behind Warwick,

http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...-rankings/2016

LSE are good for economics and also good for maths but for maths Warwick beats them which puts Warwick overall above them.

Kings college sucks for maths, Yes they are 21st in the world as an institution However not for maths.

Your really going to claim that KCL is better for maths then Warwick?
    Even if you take a slimmer of overall prestige into consideration, Warwick cannot outdo the other universities (especially LSE!).

For maths specifically, it is better than all other unis, but - along with few other courses- that's about it.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Even if you take a slimmer of overall prestige into consideration, Warwick cannot outdo the other universities (especially LSE!).

For maths specifically, it is better than all other unis, but - along with few other courses- that's about it.
    All this guy is interested in is Maths.

ReputationRep:

Both me and the guy I quoted intend to do Maths. I was talking about for Maths and used a methodology of combining rankings overall and rankings for maths.

I accept kings College LSE and Bristol beat Warwick as institutions as a whole we were talking about for maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    All this guy is interested in is Maths.
    In both the original and later post, he mentioned overall prestige too.

Both me and the guy I quoted intend to do Maths. I was talking about for Maths and used a methodology of combining rankings overall and rankings for maths.

I accept kings College LSE and Bristol beat Warwick as institutions as a whole we were talking about for maths.
    ^

ReputationRep:
    Putting a dampner on this thread - more and more major employers are removing university names from job applications to mitigate against bias and increase social mobility! Sorry folks but it is becoming less and less relevant in the real world of work if you went to a RG uni or not....

ReputationRep:
    In both the original and later post, he mentioned overall prestige too.

^
    Yes I want to make sure People go wow you got a maths degree from X.
    I factor in that if two universities are similar ranked then general global Prestige will boost it. I am also aware that a Maths degree from a university with more Global Prestige may get more of a wow factor then a maths degree from a university that is better for maths but less prestige Generally.

However Warwick Is very well Known internationally for Maths.

The Only degree I ever plan to do is maths. Some people have recommended I do statistics or maths and statistics, Others Engineering. Whilst these could be good shouts for me maths is what I want and what i will do.

Possibly if departments are combined I might find myself coming out with a maths and statistics degree, but that is about as far as I could get away from maths. This would only happen if the degree was initially in maths but had the option to differentiate like that later and I decided statistics.

I generally find statistics is where my focus on maths usually ends up, but pure and Mechanics interest me to.

I am not going to do a degree in a political science though.

Apparently according to some guy I really really hate, but cannot say I hate because social circles etc thinks Gender studies is a very reputable degree and I should do that.

However this guy thinks, okay I am not going to derail about how much I hate that guy, I just Hate him I will leave it there.

I wont take his advice.

ReputationRep:
    most RG's i couldn't apply to because their requirements were higher than my predicted grades, i applied to one bc it looked good for my course but also i wanted to fill one of my 5 choices with an RG lol, i didn't even end up forming them tho

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bath is surprising not Rg

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to UCL, St Andrews, Warwick, Edinburgh, and Nottingham, so 4 RG univs with St Andrews being the outlier. I mainly chose my universities on international prestige though as I would like to work abroad after my degree.

ReputationRep:
    I turned down Imperial and went to Leicester. No one at my school told me that Imperial was a good university. I got higher than the BCC offer they gave me, too.

We are going back a bit, here.

ReputationRep:
    I applied to all Russell Group universities because they're the best for my course. A little bit for the prestige but my main concern was getting the best education, not the name of an institution.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.