Turn on thread page Beta

ID checks for age restricted products (alcohol etc) - questions watch

ReputationRep:
    Ah.

Have you been asked when buying DVDs/lottery tickets/16+ items or only 18+ items?

And if you bought 16+ stuff at all when you were 16, did you get asked more often back then?

----

On another note, I was sort of freaked out by it all after reading a website called "No to Challenge 25". I didn't know if the guy running it was overexaggerating or what.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I work in a store that sells age-restricted items. Personally, I'll ask you for ID if you're buying an item and I'm not entirely sure that you're over 16/18. It's literally a check of your birthdate to see if you are old enough. We don't take copies of anything and if it checks out then we just press 'Yes' on the till. That's it.

I get ID'd myself, and it is just to show them that I am over 18. It shouldn't be scary. I ask by saying 'Do you have any ID? It's just that you have to be over 18 to buy this'. Just hand them something government-issued and you should be fine. Regarding validity, it can be difficult to check in the few seconds we have to check your age.

Hopefully this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BassMaster)
    Hi!

I work in a store that sells age-restricted items. Personally, I'll ask you for ID if you're buying an item and I'm not entirely sure that you're over 16/18. It's literally a check of your birthdate to see if you are old enough. We don't take copies of anything and if it checks out then we just press 'Yes' on the till. That's it.

I get ID'd myself, and it is just to show them that I am over 18. It shouldn't be scary. I ask by saying 'Do you have any ID? It's just that you have to be over 18 to buy this'. Just hand them something government-issued and you should be fine. Regarding validity, it can be difficult to check in the few seconds we have to check your age.

Hopefully this helps!
    So in this case, would most people who actually are 16/18 be asked for ID or not?

----

I think my fear comes down mostly to jealousy, just that ID checks for items were far less common when my parents were my age. But I guess times move on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    "Yeah, do you have any ID mate?"

That's it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks, but I actually meant more about me experiencing it in person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RJDG14)
    The provisional licence looks pretty easy to apply for (as state identity goes). I have to give them my personal/address details along with my passport number and a copy of a passport photo and my signature. Should I apply for one of these, maybe?

Also, at 16, do you have to get parental consent to apply? It doesn't say so, so I assume not.
    I applied for my provisional a few months ago and it's so easy. You just register with the Government website, fill out the form online and pay £32 (I think). You don't even need to send in a passport photo cause they can just look it up on the database and use the same photo for your licence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    To be fair I work in a bar and most of the time when I ask for ID, my mind goes blank and I just have to hazard a guess at the right year of birth
    Haha I get this too. Someone came in the other day and I IDd them and was looking at their DOB (which was 02/98) like "****...what month is it now..."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    I applied for my provisional a few months ago and it's so easy. You just register with the Government website, fill out the form online and pay £32 (I think). You don't even need to send in a passport photo cause they can just look it up on the database and use the same photo for your licence.
    My passport photo is over 3 years old... I was 13 at the time. Do they give you an option of sending them a new photo alongside your passport, or is an old passport photo (from 2013) still sufficient?

ReputationRep:
    My passport photo is over 3 years old... I was 13 at the time. Do they give you an option of sending them a new photo alongside your passport, or is an old passport photo (from 2013) still sufficient?
    Does it still look like you? You can still use it if there's an obvious resemblance between how you are now and the photo

ReputationRep:
    So in this case, would most people who actually are 16/18 be asked for ID or not?

----

I think my fear comes down mostly to jealousy, just that ID checks for items were far less common when my parents were my age. But I guess times move on.
    For me, if I feel that I don't believe that you've over 16/18 based off of how you look and how you act, then I'll ask for ID. I can guess your age from how you look/act, but I can't know for certan without checking. However, some places have to check everyone as it might be their company policy. Pubs, for instance.

It can be a little unexpected however. One time I wandered into Labroakes to look at one of their screens that was displaying the 'Windows is not activated' screen because I was curious, and a chap behind a screen asked if I had ID. It was more the tone of his voice that made me jump, but I just showed him my provisional.

ReputationRep:
    So I've filled out the government's online provisional licence form. It gave me the option to use my passport photo/signature, but I decided that I look quite different now, so I ticked "no", and they're gonna send me a form via post in the next week. It said that "since you are not yet 17, you will be signed up for a provisional moped licence". Does this mean I'll have to re-register in 6 months, or does it automatically become valid for driving a car when I turn 17 based on my birthday? I actually get the enhanced rate of mobility PIP already but went with "no" because I do not want to drive yet.

Another thing is that I currently have bleached hair, and it merges into the white background in places on all the attempted identity photos I've tried lately. The government's passport photo requirments state that you "must be in clear contrast to the background". I thought it was really your face that matters. Does it matter for my hair?

ReputationRep:
    My provisional driving licence came today . Anyone got advice now?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.