Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miser101)
    But surely if she just keeps keeps a professional relationship with him and nothing beyond that then it should be fine. There was a time when muslims actually where the best scholars in the world making breakthroughs in chemistry and mathematics whats happened now, we've got girls who are scared that they will spontaneously combust if a non muslim speaks to them
    You seemed to be advocating more than being keeping professional in your previous post. Anyhows you're jumping one issue to another unrelated one. There is no problem with a girl showing a bit of haya.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IdeasForLife)
    You seemed to be advocating more than being keeping professional in your previous post. Anyhows you're jumping one issue to another unrelated one. There is no problem with a girl showing a bit of haya.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sure no problem with showing a bit of haya but surely shes strong enough in her beliefs to not ask for this sort of advice on TSR and if she's at university im assuming shes got a brain so as long as she doesn't approach him for something outside of the work at hand then everything will be kushti. I really think shes raising something which is really a non issue

ReputationRep:
    I love how the OP assumes that people who gave her advice aren't 'practicing muslims'. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Sure no problem with showing a bit of haya but surely shes strong enough in her beliefs to not ask for this sort of advice on TSR and if she's at university im assuming shes got a brain so as long as she doesn't approach him for something outside of the work at hand then everything will be kushti. I really think shes raising something which is really a non issue
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Someone asked for advice. Stop getting vexed over it. Just be happy that someone cares about halal and haram. No need to have a go at the OP.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I would like a response from Muslims only, preferably practising ones.
    Islam haters remove yourself please before a mod has to, thanks.

So I have a group project coming up. There's a couple of girls involved and one guy (non Muslim). For obvious reasons I don't like working with guys and if it was my choice I would work with girls only. Unfortunately that's not possible now.

He has emailed now saying to meet up and discuss ideas for our presentation.
    I think this is pretty much unavoidable. I know my limits, but I want to know what other things should I avoid?
    Also if the topic of WhatsApp comes up and forming a group chat, what's the ruling on this?

Is there anything else I should be aware of?

JZK
    There is nothing wrong with this it's only a project.

ReputationRep:
    Salam sister,
    Maybe drop out of uni and enroll in a all female uni/course?
    Or an online course? Theyre cheaper, and are not a mixed environment.
    That way you can avoid fitnah
    If you dont want to, then I guess you have to accept how things are in a non-Muslim country: university are mixed, and that's how they are unfortunately.
    You cant force segregation in universities- it's against he law unfortunately- just gotta do what you gotta do
    Regards with ruling- some schools of thought allow mixing and talking in group chats if it's strictly for education - also as long as youre not by yourself with a male, always in a group - then its fine really

Do what you feel is comfortable in your heart- ask Allah for guidance
    I can't believe your telling her to drop out of uni just because she has a male student in her group. The only reason their going to meet up is to do work NOTHING else . Your actually making a big deal out of it. We live in the 21st century ✌🏽️

ReputationRep:
    I'm a non-Muslim black guy and I talk to a lot of serious practising Muslim females at my sixth form and also now at uni. I respect their culture and they respect mine, we talk, laugh, discuss all sorts of things and I've never had a problem. This post is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Ameen.

JZK for all your advice. I'll keep it in mind.
    May Allah reward you.
    BarakAllahu Feeki x
    Ameen. Wa iyyaki :h:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will'o'wisp)
    This is part of why religion is a problem in the modern world.

It's stops you from doing the simplest of things such as working with people of the same sex.

Oh noes what are they gonna do? **** you up the bum?
    No mate nothing in Islam stops people from working. It's completely fine, but some people think just because e.g. pre-marital relationships are haram then talking to the opposite gender at work must be a flipping eternal sin. Silly really. This is a globalized world now.. Get on with it (that's what I think at least).

I clearly respect that its her views....and its fine. She didn't say she wont....she just wanted to make sure she isn't doing anything wrong...im sure questioning ourself if were doing something wrong is a good thing...

In the UK we all have to work with the opposite gender, in some shape or form. aslong as we keep our intention clean....you will be okay. My suggestion is, if your not comfortable, then maybe have someone around you who you may know?

I don't think its fair to sort of be cold towards the guy, as its not his fault.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azizadil1998)
    No mate nothing in Islam stops people from working. It's completely fine, but some people think just because e.g. pre-marital relationships are haram then talking to the opposite gender at work must be a flipping eternal sin. Silly really. This is a globalized world now.. Get on with it (that's what I think at least).
    So OP wanted to be do something haram then?
    "For obvious reasons I don't like working with guys and if it was my choice I would work with girls only."

Agreed it's ridiculous and silly beliefs like these, the point is that faith overrules logic and we globalise stupid things like this. I refuse to accept idiot proposals and refusal to work with someone else because of faith. I'd rater have logic and reason then some blind faith.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you should worry too much. On my course there are quite a few practicing muslim girls and they have no issue with doing projects, talking, interacting with guys. Obviously they won't be dating them or flirting with them, but it's okay to do a project with a guy in the group because it's for your course. In the future when you're in the workplace, there isn't a way to avoid talking to men. What would you do if the person interviewing you for a job was a man? Turn down the job just because of that?

ReputationRep:
    do the project and work with your group or you won't pass

ReputationRep:
    Re-evaluate your life, ffs.

You're refusing to work with someone purely because a made up man in the sky said you can't?

you people need jesus lmao

ReputationRep:
    You are studying in the UK. We are not a muslim country. If you cannot work within the society and structures that we have then you would be better served by attending a university in a country more suited to your customs and way of life. I believe there are several universities in Saudi Arabia which could easily accommodate your request. However, whilst you are attending a British university, and receiving taxpayer funding for it, you abide by their rules, not yours. That includes labelling threads on a public forum as 'muslim only'. It doesn't work like that here.

ReputationRep:
    Learn to grow up in the modern western world. or leave it.

(Original post by richardhello)
    Re-evaluate your life, ffs.

You're refusing to work with someone purely because a made up man in the sky said you can't?
    Why don't you re-evaluate your life, you are the one who thinks muslims believe in a 'made up man in the sky', muslims believe in God.

ReputationRep:
    this is messed up

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 14, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.