Turn on thread page Beta

If you had to live in the Middle East, which country would you choose? watch

• View Poll Results: Which country would you live in?
    Egypt
    0%
    Iran
    2.33%
    Turkey
    8.14%
    Iraq
    1.16%
    Saudi Arabia
    5.81%
    Yemen
    1.16%
    Syria
    3.49%
    UAE
    30.23%
    Israel
    30.23%
    Jordan
    0%
    Lebanon
    5.81%
    Palestine/ Palestinian Territories
    1.16%
    Oman
    4.65%
    Kuwait
    0%
    Qatar
    3.49%
    Bahrain
    2.33%

ReputationRep:
    Israel. But if I had a second choice it would probably be Bahrain. I enjoyed the few months I spent out there.

ReputationRep:
    Syria because I will destroy ISIS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    1. UAE
    2. Qatar
    3. Bahrain

(Big gap)

4. Turkey (food)
    5. Lebanon

The quality of life in the first three is on a different level to the other countries on the list. They are all conservative, less so 4 and 5 however if you've actually been to these countries you'd see all kinds of people fitting in to these societies.

ReputationRep:
    Dubai it looks so beautiful

ReputationRep:
    Dubai hands down.

ReputationRep:
    Live in Lebanon now and wouldn't live in any other middle eastern country apart from maybe Turkey. The Gulf states are too superficial and lack culture. Skyscrapers and extravagancy don't appeal to me. Lebanon is bustling with culture,life, rich history and heritage. I'd take the vintage streets of Beirut over Dubai any day

ReputationRep:
    Don't even need to look at results to know 1 and 2:

UAE and Israel.

Personally I can recommend Oman. Very lovely, and for sure hugely underrated.

Yes, this:

(Original post by MonteCristo)
    Oman is lovely and underrated if the responses in this thread so far are anything to go by.

ReputationRep:
    Lol at people actually saying Turkey.

Visited Istanbul in 2013. I wouldn't even go back for a short vacation much less live there.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know that so many people wanted to live in dictatorships.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePricklyOne)
    Israel.

It's the only country where I can be straight, gay, atheist, or be of any religion. Can't do that in the rest of the middle east countries.
    Mazel Tov

:israel:

also the other countries are not protected by soldiers like this:

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    Israel, its the only democracy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Israel because I don't want to live in an Islamic hellhole and like democracy, and none of the others really offer both of these factors in any great capacity. But I'm more than content here in Britain.

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably choose Saudi Arabia because:
    - I have family there
    - There's no income tax
    - Graduates and nationals of the UK are treated extremely favourable in the jobs market
    - The place seems to come alive at night more than during the day (which suits my sleep pattern)
    - Punishments for some crimes are very severe so I'd feel safe from becoming a victim of them
    - There are nice urban and suburban areas which is the kind of thing I'm used to (rather than somewhere like Dubai, that might feel like a bit too much of a big city).

I'd be least likely to choose Israel. As a Muslim I'd probably have the most concerns over my physical safety there.

ReputationRep:
    Israel.

ReputationRep:
    Where is the islamic state?

ReputationRep:
    UAE, Turkey or Lebanon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    Mazel Tov

:israel:

also the other countries are not protected by soldiers like this:

Spoiler:
    Show

That's because the other countries actually have soldiers native to their country, not Europeans :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samoosa)
    That's because the other countries actually have soldiers native to their country, not Europeans :lol:
    as a member of the EU i find that highly offensive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    - Punishments for some crimes are very severe so I'd feel safe from becoming a victim of them
    Yeah, death penalty and such prevents crime, look at the USA. Oh wait.

(Original post by tazarooni89)
    I'd be least likely to choose Israel. As a Muslim I'd probably have the most concerns over my physical safety there.
    There are 1.4 million Muslims in Israel and very few leave the country. That must tell you that their situation isn't that terrible.

ReputationRep:
    UAE or most Gulf States if your decision is to be based on "where is my life expectancy longest?" which is how most people seem to be answering this question.

But, leaving that aside, I would go for one of the nations with the most still-existing signs of the richest ME cultural heritage. So Iran, Jordan, Egypt, Turkey. Of them, it is atleast conscionable to consider living in 2, maybe 3, at the moment.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.