Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Wax
    As in candle wax?

(Original post by homeland.lsw)
    Hayfever, and strangely a chemical that is in disinfectant...I'm not too sure what it is, but my parents have to clean stuff with special disinfectant otherwise i break out into hives
    Lots of tsairns with hayfever it seems, i guess that's not so strange since they can be incredibly strong chemicals in disinfectants.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    I have hayfever (grass pollen mostly), an allergy to dust mites, and I'm slightly allergic to cats, although that doesn't stop me having them as pets!
    I think mine is all pollen types since i m affected the whole season now, good to hear its not bad enough to stop you having cats.

ReputationRep:
    as far as i know, i don't
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    It's good to hear that places seem to have more awareness so it's not so hard to find food you would enjoy. I have to avoid a long list of drinks but can't imagine how difficult it is when you have to check every label to be sure you can eat it. I've seen bread on prescription before and it doesnt seem too bad looking but it must make things quite annoying with how quick you have to use it up. £2 for a packet of biscuits is just crazy, although if you can eat oats i 've made flourless biscuits with them and syrup before which were quite nice.
    Labeling is getting better. A lot of places now put things containing allergens in bold - this is all common allergens, so includes nuts and things as well, but it means scanning labels for bold type rather than having to read each item.
    Years ago, labels didn't have to contai the ingredients of the components. So a ham sandwich could list 3 ingredients: bread, butter, ham and didn't have to list what was actually in those bits. And whilst it's fairly obvious that bread contains gluten, it was more difficult when it came to bits like gravy or grated cheese etc. Now they actually have to list everything which is so much easier.

I do a lot of cooking and baking. It's different to normal baking, though, as the flour doesn't behave the same as wheat flour. I don't notice it because it's all I've ever known, but there are things I do automatically that aren't done in standard cooking/baking. I posted this a few weeks ago, but when cooking spaghetti/pasta you need to keep the water boiling throughout otherwise it all sticks together and goes gloopy (pasta can usually be saved, but spaghetti ends up in lumps and will not separate afterwards).

ReputationRep:
    Quite fortunate in that I'm allergic to nothing as far as I'm aware of yet
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Juno)
    Labeling is getting better. A lot of places now put things containing allergens in bold - this is all common allergens, so includes nuts and things as well, but it means scanning labels for bold type rather than having to read each item.
    Years ago, labels didn't have to contai the ingredients of the components. So a ham sandwich could list 3 ingredients: bread, butter, ham and didn't have to list what was actually in those bits. And whilst it's fairly obvious that bread contains gluten, it was more difficult when it came to bits like gravy or grated cheese etc. Now they actually have to list everything which is so much easier.

I do a lot of cooking and baking. It's different to normal baking, though, as the flour doesn't behave the same as wheat flour. I don't notice it because it's all I've ever known, but there are things I do automatically that aren't done in standard cooking/baking. I posted this a few weeks ago, but when cooking spaghetti/pasta you need to keep the water boiling throughout otherwise it all sticks together and goes gloopy (pasta can usually be saved, but spaghetti ends up in lumps and will not separate afterwards).
    It's silly that labelling wasn't always like that, considering some allergies can be potentially life threatening bad labelling probably put a load of people in hospital needlessly. I don't eat cheese, but i'd have never imagined there would be some gluten it in, its surprising what ingredients seem to find their way into things. I cook pasta in the same way but i think that's just impatience more than anything. Do GF items take longer to cook with the different flours?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It's silly that labelling wasn't always like that, considering some allergies can be potentially life threatening bad labelling probably put a load of people in hospital needlessly. I don't eat cheese, but i'd have never imagined there would be some gluten it in, its surprising what ingredients seem to find their way into things. I cook pasta in the same way but i think that's just impatience more than anything. Do GF items take longer to cook with the different flours?
    Cheese itself doesn't have gluten in, it's just that some production methods aren't suitable.

I have no idea how long standard things take to cook, so I'm really not the best person to ask. I think cakes are about the same (although cakes are so variable anyway, with different cake tin sizes taking different times). I think GF pasta takes a few minutes longer. If you have a breadmaker, you can't use the "quick" cycles to make GF bread the same as you can with standard bread.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know, I'm not allergic to anything other than Daz washing up powder. That brought me out in an itchy rash but that is about it. Quite lucky as many people in my family are allergic to common things like penicillin and bee stings. Never been stung by a bee or wasp though and I don't want to put it to the test any time soon
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Juno)
    Cheese itself doesn't have gluten in, it's just that some production methods aren't suitable.

I have no idea how long standard things take to cook, so I'm really not the best person to ask. I think cakes are about the same (although cakes are so variable anyway, with different cake tin sizes taking different times). I think GF pasta takes a few minutes longer. If you have a breadmaker, you can't use the "quick" cycles to make GF bread the same as you can with standard bread.
    It's good that cakes don't take much longer than usual, i d be intergued to try GF cake just to see what it tasted like, I really quite like vegan cake.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It's good that cakes don't take much longer than usual, i d be intergued to try GF cake just to see what it tasted like, I really quite like vegan cake.
    I made a GF vegan cake recently. I'm not sure what was left to go in it!

ReputationRep:
    Paracetamol is meant to be one of the painkillers that safer for most people (i m asthmatic so i m meant to avoid every painkiller but that) so i m surprised to hear from someone that cant take it, can you take ibuprofen and the like instead? Your youngest must have to be very careful with everything that they eat, i imagine it's harder for a child to understand that they can't go near certain things compared to adults.
    Officially I am supposed to be very careful with ibuprofen as I have mild asthma. In reality, I have been fine with it.

It was certainly confusing for youngest son when he was very small but it's quite normal for him now (he's 18 almost 19).

ReputationRep:
    mangoes lol
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Crazysue1)
    Officially I am supposed to be very careful with ibuprofen as I have mild asthma. In reality, I have been fine with it.

It was certainly confusing for youngest son when he was very small but it's quite normal for him now (he's 18 almost 19).
    It's much less risky now my asthma is reasonably controlled but sometimes i guess i dont like the risk unless i m really in pain. I guess with lots of things to avoid food shopping might be more difficult for him but i guess if you grow up with anything it just becomes normal.

(Original post by Juno)
    I made a GF vegan cake recently. I'm not sure what was left to go in it!
    Mostly oil and sugar i guess?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    As in candle wax?
    No. The stuff you use to remove your body hair with.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    No. The stuff you use to remove your body hair with.
    Oh i see, must be one of the chemicals in it.

ReputationRep:
    Oh i see, must be one of the chemicals in it.
    badly allergic to nuts.

not gonna lie, affects eating out and travelling a lot. bit of a risk going any non western countries as tis a disaster waiting to happen frankly. Theres traces of nuts in everything, restaurants are particularly bad. things have improved a lot but even still it can be dodgy. abroad is 100 times worse though especially in developing countries or those with different language. so yeh affects yeh in ways more than you'd think. restricts where yeh can travel to.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Penicillin, mefenamic acid.

I also get a weird reaction from glitter. Like it leaves me in a rash.

ReputationRep:
    I'm allergic to cauliflower my whole family is

ReputationRep:
    Chillies, peas and chickpeas for me.

Which is great when my dad decides to make a curry and I have to spend the evening with my head out of the window in search for fresh air.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 24, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.