Turn on thread page Beta

Inactive - Delete watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    TL;DR another person claiming racism where they have no proof it exists
    tl;dr indeed but it could be racism. You can't exactly prove or disprove it. Because prejudice is the mentality and discrimination is the acting upon prejudice, and racism is the constant state of a person, several people, the gov't, an institution, etc discriminating. People use the words wrong.

So if the OP thinks the teacher or whoever is racist then the OP hopefully thinks the teacher has prejudice against Asians and is showing it by in their opinion unfairly grading noorgal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    What in earth does that mean? You're playing the race card because you didn't get predicted what you want. Most other replies on this thread seems to think the same thing. So maybe trying the smart answer isn't ideal for you right now...
    I'm not playing the race card because I didn't get what I wanted, I am just wondering why I was predicted a much lower grade than my peer, even though I have achieved higher marks than her in my controlled assessments and exams. I'm just generally curious. The only reason I am playing the race card is because this has happened to a lot of people in my school ,all of which are non-white. Even if they are considering demographics in drafting the predicted grade, I come from a more affluent area than my peer, and therefore, I still would have higher predicted grades. Sorry, If it appeared I was using the race card purely for my own benefit, but I was concerned for my peers’ results as well.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to say this but it happens a lot and no one even bats an eye at this matter especially those who have never witnessed it happening or heard of it. Best thing to do it is ignore and get those A*s.

I've witnessed it myself where students from ethnic minorities are given out low predictions which really hinders their chances to sit higher papers regardless of scoring better marks than fellow white pupils. So many people are going to trash me for this but this is my opinion from what I've seen growing up all the way from primary.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should speak to your teacher, there's no other way of knowing why they predicted you lower than what you deserve. If you have been getting A*'s consistently in your assessments there's no reason why he/she shouldn't predict you it. Let them know that you have sixth form places relying on your grades. If you feel their reasoning for your predicted grade is unjustified speak to the subject leader, or get your parents to contact the school!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    tl;dr indeed but it could be racism. You can't exactly prove or disprove it. Because prejudice is the mentality and discrimination is the acting upon prejudice, and racism is the constant state of a person, several people, the gov't, an institution, etc discriminating. People use the words wrong.

So if the OP thinks the teacher or whoever is racist then the OP hopefully thinks the teacher has prejudice against Asians and is showing it by in their opinion unfairly grading noorgal
    Yes ! Thank you for explaining it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Applepiex3)
    I'm sorry to say this but it happens a lot and no one even bats an eye at this matter especially those who have never witnessed it happening or heard of it. Best thing to do it is ignore and get those A*s.

I've witnessed it myself where students from ethnic minorities are given out low predictions which really hinders their chances to sit higher papers regardless of scoring better marks than fellow white pupils. So many people are going to trash me for this but this is my opinion from what I've seen growing up all the way from primary.
    Thank you, yes! It seems to be the case that if it doesn't happen to you, then the whole construct does not exist. Thanks for being so understanding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henhenscorner)
    I think you should speak to your teacher, there's no other way of knowing why they predicted you lower than what you deserve. If you have been getting A*'s consistently in your assessments there's no reason why he/she shouldn't predict you it. Let them know that you have sixth form places relying on your grades. If you feel their reasoning for your predicted grade is unjustified speak to the subject leader, or get your parents to contact the school!
    OK thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    they predict your grades based on your previous assessment, the area you live, your family, etc
    they let you in sixth form based on your actual gcses not predicted grades
    why does predicted grade even matter? it doesnt. your actual gcses grades do

my friend was predicted a D in R.E when she's very much capable of getting higher, she got A in exams. she's white, in a white school, studies harder than everyone. this is prove that they predict you based on a program with standards to follow.
    I know, but when you apply, you have to give your predicted grades in the application form, and then they shortlist you from there, as the exams haven't started yet. The school I want to apply has a lot of people who have A*s predicted, which means they would obviously selected in lieu of me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noorgal)
    Yes ! Thank you for explaining it
    yea I mean sabotage happens in the education system with race and working class whites all the time

when you do well they nitpick you and not others, and when you don't do perfectly which is impossible they act like you've done the worst. People don't want others to succeed and sometimes take it out on the children, and it's wrong and actually you can technically make a stink out of this but it'll be hard to, true, prove that your teacher has racist thought but it can be looked into how they grade students of colour/working class

ReputationRep:
    yea I mean sabotage happens in the education system with race and working class whites all the time

when you do well they nitpick you and not others, and when you don't do perfectly which is impossible they act like you've done the worst. People don't want others to succeed and sometimes take it out on the children, and it's wrong and actually you can technically make a stink out of this but it'll be hard to, true, prove that your teacher has racist thought but it can be looked into how they grade students of colour/working class
    Yes, I don't think a person from a certain race or background should be restrained and not given the same opportunity as someone else, even though the education system is supposed to be unbiased and fair.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I don't think a person from a certain race or background should be restrained and not given the same opportunity as someone else, even though the education system is supposed to be unbiased and fair.
    Unfortunately that's life and I'm not sure if it's getting better or worse tbh. Because what's given people "equal" rights is the law and how it develops overtime. But as the law develops supposedly for The People it is also creating loopholes for those at the top and those who create the ****ing laws so..it gets exhausting, but that's when you're gonna have to just fight back or do your best and crack on with it really. Keep an eye out for her and don't be afraid to serve any authority lip, its your life not theirs.

ReputationRep:
    Some teachers purposely predict some students low, so they can claim they are a really good teacher as many students have 'over achieved'.
    A lot of schools also use measures such as year 6 sats performance when making predicted grades, and in some schools apparently teachers have no control over predicted grades which are determined solely by the computer system when you enter the school, and do not get changed.
    Also in subjects like Spanish teachers may feel that you are weaker in the written element than the spoken element and predict you accordingly, whereas the other girl is stronger in the written element for whatever reason.
    Honestly if they were actually racist they would mark your controlled assessment down...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexS101)
    Some teachers purposely predict some students low, so they can claim they are a really good teacher as many students have 'over achieved'.
    A lot of schools also use measures such as year 6 sats performance when making predicted grades, and in some schools apparently teachers have no control over predicted grades which are determined solely by the computer system when you enter the school, and do not get changed.
    Also in subjects like Spanish teachers may feel that you are weaker in the written element than the spoken element and predict you accordingly, whereas the other girl is stronger in the written element for whatever reason.
    Honestly if they were actually racist they would mark your controlled assessment down...
    She has got three Bs in her writing / Speaking
    Whilst I have got two A*s and an A

I don't think they though she was stronger at the written element , otherwise they would have awarded her a higher grade!

They couldn’t mark it down as that would be too explicit, and I could easily accuse them of racism. Likewise, the exam board moderates the assessments, and they would not want to risk their relationship with the board.

ReputationRep:
    She has got three Bs in her writing / Speaking
    Whilst I have got two A*s and an A

I don't think they though she was stronger at the written element , otherwise they would have awarded her a higher grade!
    You said reading and speaking earlier, not writing?
    Also what level did you get in your year 6 English sat, as catch up classes in year 7 are normally based on this, as often are predicted grades?

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately that's life and I'm not sure if it's getting better or worse tbh. Because what's given people "equal" rights is the law and how it develops overtime. But as the law develops supposedly for The People it is also creating loopholes for those at the top and those who create the ****ing laws so..it gets exhausting, but that's when you're gonna have to just fight back or do your best and crack on with it really. Keep an eye out for her and don't be afraid to serve any authority lip, its your life not theirs.
    Agreed, It's a case of hypernormalisation (There was a BBC documentary on this ), where people are expected to not question authority as it is the only thing they know. Likewise, I definitely agree with you, the laws suit The People best, as they are the ones who created them!
    The world is so corrupt it sucks!

ReputationRep:
    You said reading and speaking earlier, not writing?
    Also what level did you get in your year 6 English sat, as catch up classes in year 7 are normally based on this, as often are predicted grades?

I said reading / listening / speaking / writing earlier.

She got all Bs in Reading, Listening, Writing (We did 2 writings), Speaking
    I got A* in Reading, Listening, Speaking and In one writing. The other was an A.

I got high level 5 and L6 In the Level 6 papers I did.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, It's a case of hypernormalisation (There was a BBC documentary on this ), where people are expected to not question authority as it is the only thing they know. Likewise, I definitely agree with you, the laws suit The People best, as they are the ones who created them!
    The world is so corrupt it sucks!
    No yea it really is. It always ha been there really were no "good ol' days" even though I think life was generally much simpler... in the stone ages lol

ReputationRep:
    I said reading / listening / speaking / writing earlier.

She got all Bs in Reading, Listening, Writing (We did 2 writings), Speaking
    I got A* in Reading, Listening, Speaking and In one writing. The other was an A.

I got high level 5 and L6 In the Level 6 papers I did.
    Then something weird is going on, whether it is racism or something else, for example the desire to keep the best students at the school for sixth form to boost their place in the results table, I have no idea.
    Could also be down to the teacher having favourites, or needing to keep certain students on side, for a number of reasons.

ReputationRep:
    Then something weird is going on, whether it is racism or something else, for example the desire to keep the best students at the school for sixth form to boost their place in the results table, I have no idea.
    Could also be down to the teacher having favourites, or needing to keep certain students on side, for a number of reasons.
    Yeah I know, it seems a bit fishy if I am honest. But, regardless, I do not want to stay at that school

ReputationRep:

Great definitions, did you make them up yourself?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.