Turn on thread page Beta

PC Build for Computer Science watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Is that including peripherals, display etc or just the computer itself?
    just the computer, im not going to buy a proper monitor or anything, probably just ending up using the hdmi in my tv haha

ReputationRep:
    Lots of helpful comments within this thread. Let me elaborate.

I am hopefully going to be studying Bsc Computer Science at either Manchester, Birmingham, Oxford, Leeds or Lancaster.

I am under the impression that the universities would provide workstations/desktops for me to complete work on but what i was unsure on is whether it would be worthwhile working on these machines rather than on my own suited machine, whether that would be a desktop or laptop.

I haven't built a PC before, never really had the financial means of building my own and in my home we have a PC, i wanted to go out with my mum when we were looking to buy one but she made me stay at home and bought an awful PC (AMD E-450 Processer with Radeon HD Graphics, 4GB RAM xD). I wasnt really brought up into a tech-savvy family and the interest for Computer Science has simply grown out of curiosity, excitement and future developments of the subject.

I think that the prospect of having a basic laptop/chromebook and using other money to put towards a decent desktop sounds great! This way I would be able to still do everything I need to whilst at uni despite having my own desktop. I'm sure that basic essays/documentation and maybe programming could be performed on a half-decent laptop and for any big projects I would use the systems provided by the university, at least up till the point that I would own my own.

I think that the idea of getting a mini PC wouldn't be sensible. I think than rather spending around £400 on a mini PC, i would get a half-decent laptop and save up for a good desktop. Also by buying a gaming laptop, would be a great idea, i've heard that they can be difficult to upgrade hence why the thought of a PC came to mind. In the first place, i was looking at Macbooks but soon realised it was way out of my budget and although they are used by a large amount of students, they aren't the greatest, especially for Computer Science, but I'm not denying that they're class machines.

Gaming isn't a priority for me and i only saw it as a small hobby. I'm currently an Xbox One gamer so PC gaming isn't something that into at this moment in time.

Hopefully this helps to clear some misconceptions.

I'll be looking forwards to your thoughts towards this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobby2303)
    just the computer, im not going to buy a proper monitor or anything, probably just ending up using the hdmi in my tv haha
    (Original post by bobby2303)
    Gaming isn't a priority for me and i only saw it as a small hobby. I'm currently an Xbox One gamer so PC gaming isn't something that into at this moment in time.
    So yeah, if you went for a £500 desktop you can almost squeeze a RX 470 based system into your budget with one of AMD's affordable quad core CPUs, going about £25 over your budget (part list here). This is a combination that will play virtually any game on the market at high settings or better at comfortable frame rates. I chose the Silverstone Sugo SG13 case which, as you can see below, is freaking tiny and would be easily transportable.

If you went for a laptop in the same price range you'd be lucky to escape integrated graphics at all, and if you did it would probably be for a DDR3 based graphics card that won't actually be a whole lot better. If you're happy enough with your Xbox then that's fine, but if you want to experience "proper" PC gaming you're simply not going to find it in a laptop at your budget.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.