Turn on thread page Beta

Breaking news- mp demands to vote on brexit upheld by high court! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    That is a totally different issue to what you said in your post though. Where you said it wasn't about triggering it or not...

And why, most MPs were against it, no? Do you think they will suddenly now say well I will listen to my constituency? Perhaps. But if I were you, I would be worried.
    Did you even read the article you linked?

ReputationRep:
    Most MPs will not vote against the trigger. It would be political suicide.

ReputationRep:
    That is a totally different issue to what you said in your post though. Where you said it wasn't about triggering it or not...

And why, most MPs were against it, no? Do you think they will suddenly now say well I will listen to my constituency? Perhaps. But if I were you, I would be worried.
    I think it's realistic to expect that, should HM Government be forced to give Parliament the vote on enacting Article 50 & Parliament subsequently rejecting the motion, then the Prime Minister would certainly have to call a General Election.

What would happen next would be anyone's guess really but Corbyn's Labour would almost certainly get trounced and the Lib Dems & UKIP would both probably get an upsurge in votes for opposite reasons. The chances are the Conservatives would still be the main winner though with the PM increasing her majority. Depending on how united the Tory party is after that would go a long way to deciding if the govt would continue with Article 50 or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antioch)
    Did you even read the article you linked?
    I quoted one part from it upon which you changed your argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Not really. It just means they need to vote on it. MP's are unlikely to go against the will of the people via the referendum.
    Are you sure about that? Wouldn't be the first time politicians do something people don't want.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I can't see it being anything other than Parliament trigging article 50.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Are you sure about that? Wouldn't be the first time politicians do something people don't want.
    Pretty sure. the issue is really how this vote is going to be carried out which could be quick and informal or a very long drawn out process.

Off to the Supreme court next and then maybe the ECJ....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben.anderson)
    How stupid. This was a referendum, the people voted LEAVE and that's what should happen. It doesn't matter what way you voted, it is a democracy. Many lib-dem and labour voters don't seem to like that word!
    parlimentary democracy is also part and parcel of democracy

ReputationRep:
    I quoted one part from it upon which you changed your argument.
    I didn't change my argument once.

Read the article:

"But he said most MPs would be likely to vote for Article 50, as Brexit had been backed by a majority of voters in the referendum."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aceadria)
    Most MPs will not vote against the trigger. It would be political suicide.
    but if there vote is public they wont want to look as if theyre voting against publc opinion

ReputationRep:
    And you Ben Anderson have no clue what democracy is.

Or are you saying every single thing decided by Parliament and not by referendum of the people, is not democratic?
    No, I'm not saying that. It was a 50/50 referendum, I'm not saying the left side or remain side didn't make lies. If this was a general election, I would expect the party with the most seats to win; it doesn't go through parliament!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Pretty sure. the issue is really how this vote is going to be carried out which could be quick and informal or a very long drawn out process.

Off to the Supreme court next and then maybe the ECJ....
    The only thing I could see is that politicians are slimy little, greedy *******s, and they will be thinking "will this harm my re-election if I vote contrary to what my constituency did".

Other than that they are sure to vote against Brexit. So it really depends how many are a) ballsy enough and b) honest enough to uphold what they stand for and not cave in to populism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chakede)
    interestinlgy Pound has rebounded to its highest level for 3 months
    No, just two weeks.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    The only thing I could see is that politicians are slimy little, greedy *******s, and they will be thinking "will this harm my re-election if I vote contrary to what my constituency did".

Other than that they are sure to vote against Brexit. So it really depends how many are a) ballsy enough and b) honest enough to uphold what they stand for and not cave in to populism.
    Although I dislike politicians I dont think theres much risk in many of them voting against.

ReputationRep:
    but if there vote is public they wont want to look as if theyre voting against publc opinion
    Perhaps but that would require a second round of voting. My point being that MPs will want to follow the public opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting, though I was always under the impression until recently that there would be a vote.

We may be looking at a three-line whip, complete compliance with which will ensure Article 50's implementation because the Tories have an overall majority. I think this is fairly likely.

However - referendum voters were allowed to act on their conscience, so why can't MPs? The referendum was advisory and acting on it was not a job delegated upon them. Obviously the tabloid media won't go down with a hell of a fight. I foresee the Daily Express with a portrait of every MP against Brexit being labelled "TRAITOR" in big letters. Could that storm be weathered?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aceadria)
    Perhaps but that would require a second round of voting. My point being that MPs will want to follow the public opinion.
    There will be a three-line whip on Tory MPs anyway.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    interestinlgy Pound has rebounded to its highest level for 3 months
    Where did you get this from?

£ v $ rates your statemet is false.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting, but the right decision.

ReputationRep:
    Will Brexit be overturned?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.