Turn on thread page Beta

Degrees ARE harder than A-levels watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    My teachers said the same thing but only in terms of uni is easier because you're focused on one subject rather than 3 or 4. But yeah, they basically lied.

I'm studying English Lit and Philosophy and it's horrendous. Well 1st year was pretty easy to be honest. Just wait until the 2nd year... It will hit you like nothing else you've felt before!
    Gotta love how focused my degree is, list of modules in first year:

Mathematics
    Fluid mechanics (basically flow of water and forces applied on and by liquids).
    Statics (forces on structures)
    Materials (chemistry and physics together, behaviour of materials etc)
    Engineering geology.
    Structures (similar to statics).
    Design modules including surveying, bridge design and design of a construction scenario
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    Gotta love how focused my degree is, list of modules in first year:

Mathematics
    Fluid mechanics (basically flow of water and forces applied on and by liquids).
    Statics (forces on structures)
    Materials (chemistry and physics together, behaviour of materials etc)
    Engineering geology.
    Structures (similar to statics).
    Design modules including surveying, bridge design and design of a construction scenario
    Did you quote the wrong person chick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    Did you quote the wrong person chick?
    Nope pretty much showing how much it is NOT easier than A levels when my teachers also said so.

ReputationRep:
    Yep I believed all of my teachers saying it was easy

But I found out that in their STEM subject degrees they all got thirds

I come to uni and it's hard af

ReputationRep:
    Oh, well I'd heard that. And it's not true for maths? Might as-well just kill myself right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingLAWZA)
    Yep I believed all of my teachers saying it was easy

But I found out that in their STEM subject degrees they all got thirds

I come to uni and it's hard af
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toasticide)
    What i hate is how maths is the only thing im good at so im kinda forced to go to uni and so far im bloody scared as i couldnt handle the jump from GCSE sciences to A level sciences (maths was stupidly easy) and apparantly degree maths is loads worse.
    I'm gonna have SO many nervous breakdowns i can already tell :P (not joking too)

to be honest im fearing uni in general, i can already tell im not gonna make friends, the workload is gonna strand me in the library 24/7, the people who live near me are very likely gonna be dicks. Have no other choice though.
    Just gotta hope ii pass the third year exams so i can make it worthwile and earn decent money as a teacher (what i actually want to be)...
    That's if i can even get into uni, my grades in everything (but maths) are falling right now, can't handle it ngl, just inevitably acting snappy at everyone from the stress.

tl;dr Don't bother reading, just me moaning about how i fear uni lol

Yes, Maths degree is much worse and the timetable is horrible. But if you like the subject, and are motivated then there's nothing to fear. Every other student will have the exact same worries as you, and the lectures and tutors are aware.

You'll eventually make friends, so don't worry too much about it

(Original post by cdoyle)
    You don't get constant homeworks like in school. I have done two degrees In chemistry and business. At A level I did better in chemistry and at degree level I did better in Business.
    This generally depends on the course and uni you go to. I do Maths and get at least 4 assignments every week, and also have coursework to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshEntropy)
    LOL
    They legit said they got into RG uni's, assuming they were smart, when asked their grade they would avoid the question until the last week of term and say they got a third, gg teachers

ReputationRep:
    Maybe those teachers were trying to cheer you up?

ReputationRep:
    I imagine it depends on what you do, but I did Maths at uni and A-Levels were a walk in the park compared to degree level.

ReputationRep:
    I was told that Degrees are harder but you have more time for them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toasticide)
    What i hate is how maths is the only thing im good at so im kinda forced to go to uni and so far im bloody scared as i couldnt handle the jump from GCSE sciences to A level sciences (maths was stupidly easy) and apparantly degree maths is loads worse.
    I'm gonna have SO many nervous breakdowns i can already tell :P (not joking too)

to be honest im fearing uni in general, i can already tell im not gonna make friends, the workload is gonna strand me in the library 24/7, the people who live near me are very likely gonna be dicks. Have no other choice though.
    Just gotta hope ii pass the third year exams so i can make it worthwile and earn decent money as a teacher (what i actually want to be)...
    That's if i can even get into uni, my grades in everything (but maths) are falling right now, can't handle it ngl, just inevitably acting snappy at everyone from the stress.

tl;dr Don't bother reading, just me moaning about how i fear uni lol
    Since when did teaching pay good money? It's no walk in the park either - the average teacher works 59 hours a week. The pressure for every to get good results is immense and could make or break your career. Teachers start on 22k with the possibility, but no guarantee to move up the pay scale (more likely as a mathematician though as its a shortage subject). However, if the White Paper gets through, they'll scrap QTS and you'll start at 16k and you could be stuck on that for years.

ReputationRep:
    Think about it Level 5 at A-Level is A*-A and a degree is level 6 so its bound too be much more difficult.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I can tell you from personal experience it is easier getting an Master's degree in pharmacy with a 1st/ distinction or a 2:1/merit from a russell group uni, and passing the registration exam (for which you need minimum of 70% overall and in calculations) than it is getting a BCC in A level chem, bio, and maths with stats respectively, as well as a U in AS psychology
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by fefssdf)
    I was always told by my teachers at sixth form that my degree would be much easier than A-levels but now here I am doing a maths degree wishing I was doing 5 A-levels instead...
    thoughts ???
    In theory they are supposed to be harder ( say levels are a 4, masters would be a 7/8) but in reality, it depends on the subject and how you find find things. I know people who did maths degrees and they found it harder to memorise different calculations but conversely you dont get penalised as much for not following a markschem as you would during A levels.

I myself did rubbish in A levels but my first 3 years at uni I consistently was scoring firsts (last year at uni was messed up due to waay too many personal problems but was able to salvage a mid-scoring 2:1). The simple reason why is because in uni, teachers (lecturers) can actually be bothered teaching students and letting them explore different things and making sure your knowledge base is up to date rather than using severely outdated textbooks and relying on an board-approved markscheme to make sure you answer things the way the exam board wants you to.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.