The Student Room Group

Biology A-level

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sara_s01
Has anyone picked biology a level, if so, what do you think of it? :s-smilie:

I love it, out of the four i took its my favourite, its a lot more work and a lot more in depth but if you like biology, you'll definitely enjoy the a level! (I do WJEC btw)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AshEntropy
I go to The University of Bradford. I really enjoy the BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science course here, it's very difficult but it's accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) and approved by the Health and Care Professions Council, so it's a LOT easier to become a Registered Biomedical Scientist when you graduate.

I highly recommend that you only study BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science at a University that is IBMS Accredited if you are thinking of becoming a Biomedical Scientist.

List of Universities that Offer IBMS Accredited Biomedical Science Undergraduate Degrees:

The Robert Gordon University
Bangor University
University of Bedfordshire
Queen’s University Belfast
Aston University
University of Bradford
University of Brighton
University of the West of England
University of Abertay Dundee
University of Essex
Glasgow Caledonian University
University of Strathclyde
The University of Greenwich
University of Hertfordshire
University of Hull
Keele University
University of Kent at Canterbury
Kingston University
University of Lancaster
De Montfort University
Anglia Ruskin University
Cardiff Metropolitan University
University Chester
Coventry University
University of Lincoln
Liverpool John Moores University
University of East London
London Metropolitan University
Middlesex University
Queen Mary, University of London
University of Roehampton
University of London, St George’s,
University of Westminster
Manchester Metropolitan
Teesside University
Northumbria University
Nottingham Trent University
Oxford Brookes University
University of the West of Scotland
University of Portsmouth
University of Central Lancashire
University of Plymouth
University of Reading
University of Salford
Sheffield Hallam University
Staffordshire University
University of Sunderland
University of Surrey
York St. John University
Ulster University
University of Wolverhampton

Thank you! You're the best
Original post by HharryS
I am doing AQA biology and I quite like it. It's a lot 'nicer', apparently! I quite like how there is no more coursework, my grades in science at GCSE were being pulled down due to my coursework in science.

Same here
That and how some teachers thought that throwing facts at us was the best way to teach plus some who thought teaching us the wrong thing was the way to go!
Luckily I have great teachers this year!
Its annoying to revise. But it's more interesting than chemistry (except organic).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by shohaib712
Its annoying to revise. But it's more interesting than chemistry (except organic).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some of the content in Chemistry is horrifically boring, especially at A2.
I have finished AS biology, i find it very interesting, unlike GCSE biology, which although i got an A*, i found boring.
It's quite a jump from gcse though
what's your gcse biology grade? and how did you find it?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Charlotte458
I'm really enjoying it actually. Some parts are hard but I'm just trying to learn as much as possible as I go along. My teacher is amazing too which helps

Very good teachers can make a HUGE difference!:h: You're very lucky!x:smile:
Original post by MolesterStallone
I have finished AS biology, i find it very interesting, unlike GCSE biology, which although i got an A*, i found boring.
It's quite a jump from gcse though
what's you're gcse biology grade? and how did you find it?

GCSE biology was meh.:s-smilie:
Original post by sunshine774
GCSE biology was meh.:s-smilie:

Hahaha, It was the same for me too. However if you find Biology in general boring or difficult, i suggest not taking it in A level
I had a mate who wasn't interested in Biology but took it in A level anyway, he ended up getting an E, although he got an A* in GCSE bio. no ****!
Im in A2 now and i love it!! Its very interesting but it requires a lot of hard work and memorization so prepare yourself for that.. im doing chemistry and maths too xxxxx
Original post by MolesterStallone
Hahaha, It was the same for me too. However if you find Biology in general boring or difficult, i suggest not taking it in A level
I had a mate who wasn't interested in Biology but took it in A level anyway, he ended up getting an E, although he got an A* in GCSE bio. no ****!

Oh no I'm already in yr 12.:smile: I do maths, chemistry and economics so no biology for me!:smile: Yeah I'm not really surprised a levels are MUCH harder than GCSE'S. If you're not interested, then you have no motivation to revise so you're screwed!:tongue:
Very good teachers can make a HUGE difference!:h: You're very lucky!x:smile:

I agree 100%. Unfortunately my psychology teacher is not the best. shes lovely but shes the head of sixth form so very busy and therefore not always the best teacher
I agree 100%. Unfortunately my psychology teacher is not the best. shes lovely but shes the head of sixth form so very busy and therefore not always the best teacher

Yes that sometimes happens- my chem teacher LITERALLY copies word for word from the textbook and doesn't explain anything, although she's a lovely woman. But still...:redface:
Yes that sometimes happens- my chem teacher LITERALLY copies word for word from the textbook and doesn't explain anything, although she's a lovely woman. But still...:redface:

Yeah thats annoying! Im pretty much having to do that for psychology so i learn something! Ive got mocks coming up soon and im so nervous because they use these grades for your uni predictions so im terrified aha!
Yeah thats annoying! Im pretty much having to do that for psychology so i learn something! Ive got mocks coming up soon and im so nervous because they use these grades for your uni predictions so im terrified aha!

OMG same! I practically have to teach the chem course to myself!:redface:

Honestly though, if you work hard I'm sure you'll do really well! Best of luck!x:h:
It's my fave tied with chem.
OMG same! I practically have to teach the chem course to myself!:redface:

So annoying! theres so much evaluation needed in psych its ridiculous!
Thank you! Just want to get into a good uni really!
So annoying! theres so much evaluation needed in psych its ridiculous!
Thank you! Just want to get into a good uni really!

Same!x:h: Don't worry, we WILL do it!:wink:
Reply 39
Original post by sara_s01
Has anyone picked biology a level, if so, what do you think of it? :s-smilie:

I'm currently studying applied science and BTEC's have now introduced exams into there modules, the biology which I am currently studying is just like AS and will be like A2 next year as my teacher said all the questions will be slected from A-level papers to be honest I like it and my tutor makes the best notes so everything is totally understandable,:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest