Turn on thread page Beta

Best Fantasy Author watch

ReputationRep:
    Dean Koontz and Michael Marshall Smith.

ReputationRep:
    i have only read harry potter so i have to say rowling. but i liked LOTR (tje movies) so i guess J.R.R. Tolkien is a good author as well. not a big fantasy fan, as you might notice.

ReputationRep:
    Undoubtably, Raymond E Feist is the greatest fantasy author ever... and thats coming from a diehard LOTR fan...
    J.V Jones is also up there with the best of them,.

ReputationRep:
    REF's not the greatest. His elvish is all wrong .
    (Plus he's sex-obsessed) :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    REF's not the greatest. His elvish is all wrong .
    (Plus he's sex-obsessed) :rolleyes:
    It is a rather convoluted copy of tolkien admittidly, but i think the way that he deals with tomas and calis's characters as mixed races is alot better than the way tolkien deals with the likes of elrond as a half-elf, as there is the sort of genuine conflict that would be expected.
    And i honestly can't think of a more believable hero in any tale than Erik Von Darkmoor (talking serpentwar, rather than riftwar here obviously), as unlike the likes ot tolkien's heroes (either the likes of aragon or the hobbits), its an actual character someone can believe in.
    And whats wrong with being obsessed with sex?

ReputationRep:
    Typical male response

Tomas is pretty cool. Possibly my favourite Feist character. But I don't like the later books so much. Jimmy went from being cool to a being an allknowing git (Am I allowed to say git on here?), Pug's too powerful, and there's never any emotion in it.
    Now the Empire Trilogy on the other hand.....{drools}

ReputationRep:
    I voted for David Gemmell, but David Eddings is also very good.

ReputationRep:
    Other candidates:
    George R R Martin
    E R Eddison
    Mervyn Peake
    Lord Dunsany
    James Stephens

ReputationRep:
    Phillip Pullman all the way!

ReputationRep:
    Terry Pratchett
    Ann McCaffery
    David Eddings

JK Rowling should not be on the list..sorry to those of you who do like her but shes not in the same league as the great writers
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    David Eddings
    Terry Goodkind
    George R.R. Martin
    J.R.R. Tolkein
    David Gemmell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cindy)
    Terry Pratchett
    Ann McCaffery
    David Eddings

JK Rowling should not be on the list..sorry to those of you who do like her but shes not in the same league as the great writers
    OMG You like Ediings too! (Sorry, it's just that Eddings fans seem to be a rarity). Aren't they the BEST? I loved 'The Belgariad' and 'The MALLOREON',with their liberal doses of humour (especially from Silk!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maljosh)
    i'm sorry people i didn't include Terry Pratchett... i've never even heard that name.. sorry. any particular books by him? It'd be really if someone could recommend something,

BloodyValentine, thanks for your comments. I'll make sure i read midnight falcon,
    Pratchett is the best author ever. He writes Discworld books, about a flat world that is carried through space on the backs of four elephants which are carried on the back of a giant turtle. If you want to read these books, don't start on Small Gods. I personally didn't like it. Terry Pratchett also worked on Good Omens.

ReputationRep:
    Typical male response

Tomas is pretty cool. Possibly my favourite Feist character. But I don't like the later books so much. Jimmy went from being cool to a being an allknowing git (Am I allowed to say git on here?), Pug's too powerful, and there's never any emotion in it.
    Now the Empire Trilogy on the other hand.....{drools}
    i agree, the empire trilogy outshines them all, mabye because the lead is a female im might be a bit biased. The david eddings books are good but doesnt really require you to think, kind of like watching romantic comedys.

another author that is good is
    Robert Jordan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firebladez777.5)
    OMG You like Ediings too! (Sorry, it's just that Eddings fans seem to be a rarity). Aren't they the BEST? I loved 'The Belgariad' and 'The MALLOREON',with their liberal doses of humour (especially from Silk!)

I am reading Eddings new sagas at the mo The Dreamers. First book Elder Gods was fab and I couldnt put it down read it in two days, next one The Treasured One is equally as good though I had to wait until it was released which was a pain. Cant wait for the next!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shoe_box10)
    i agree, the empire trilogy outshines them all, mabye because the lead is a female im might be a bit biased.
    It's good to see Feist actually writing a good female character for once, rather than some stupid damsel in distress/whore sort

ReputationRep:
    It's good to see Feist actually writing a good female character for once, rather than some stupid damsel in distress/whore sort
    Its probably because he wrote the seris with Janny Wurts (a woman), he probably didnt want to offend her. I think the book benefited from her input anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Any fantasy list with Harry Potter on it should be ashamed of itself - I love HP, but it still doesn't count!

from the others:

Raymond E.Fiest: Is my favourite

Terry Goodkind: Should write his books a little faster, also one of my favourites.

Tolkien: Is at the top just by default

Terry Pratchett: Is a comic genius

Anne McCaffrey: Isn't that leaning toward sci-fi? ( They do come to Pern on a space-ship after all..)

David Eddings: The early ones were much better, but I used to love those, and I own them all

Robin Hobb: anyone read these?

David Gemmell: I never got into really

Philip Pullman: over-rated, sorry!

For a relatively new author has anyone read Guy Gavriel Kay? I think he's one of the best new ones I've seen.

ReputationRep:
    has no-one else on here read Ursula LeGuin? She is surely one of the best science fiction/fantasy writers - her Earthsea Quintet and to a lesser extent The Left Hand of Darkness are fantastic.

and yes i agree, Rowling is just not in the same league as most of the others mentioned here!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.