Turn on thread page Beta

Do you know any unpopular attractive people? watch

(Original post by drowzee)
    Many. At my old school, popularity wasn't really based on looks, but personality. The loud, intimidating people were popular
    Same. The b i tchy ones and the jerks were the popular ones at school weirdly and the pretty girls were usually the ones getting picked on by the b i tchy girls, unless they were b i tchy themselves

Basically pretty but nice girls were not popular, but were admired more by others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goaded)
    Because I rarely see him (been there 2 months and since seen him twice, and one of those times was during my interview) but I'm friends with someone on his department who tells me he has no friends
    Ah okay. If you were moved to his department would you strike a convo with him though ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awkwardshortguy)
    I am interested in the relationship between one's outward appearance and how others treat them and have noticed that I know of no attractive person who has few 'friends', in the Facebook sense of the word. Do attractive people who don't have masses of people wanting to associate themselves with them exist?
    Yes they do, particularly if they are shy and introverted which is the case for a lot of people.

To turn things around once of the physically least attractive girls I ever met had LOADS of really good looking boyfriends, was incredibly popular and had a ridiculous amount of friends.

A large part of popularity isn't attractiveness but confidence and being fun/ interesting. If you can do all of these things then you can get around being ugly/ unattractive physically because one of the most attractive things is confidence/ personality/ being funny etc. Your looks might put a few shallow people off talking to you who are probably not worth knowing anyway, but if you can get the conversation started and be really fun and interesting then most people won't care about how you look physically.

If on the other hand you are really attractive but have no personality and are female then you will still get loads of attention, but from the wrong sort of guys who just want to sleep with you.

ReputationRep:
    I am a complete (self-professed) loner, but I've been told I'm very attractive
    And it's true, I can make friends easily. I just can't keep them.

ReputationRep:
    I do. This guy who I think is gay approached me in the gym once and kept following me. He added me on fb and he has 153 friends. He's good looking imo but not confident and confidence is the most important trait that exists.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've always been incredibly unpopular but have been considered attractive. But I'm very shy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RossB1702)
    Ah okay. If you were moved to his department would you strike a convo with him though ?
    He's not very social but sure

ReputationRep:
    These days I'm sort of that supposedly rare, attractive loner type guy.

Not saying I'm super handsome. But attractive enough that people assume I'm far more popular and successful than I actually am.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefano865)

Not saying I'm super handsome. But attractive enough that people assume I'm far more popular and successful than I actually am.
    Prove it :P

ReputationRep:
    I can understand that hampering her popularity if that's how it made her feel. Also what was her romantic life like would you know? Because a guy will look past shyness for beauty any day of the week. Some even find it especially attractive I am sure. If she wasn't on other girls lips because of who she was dating I wouldnt be surprised if it happened to be that other girls were less interested in associating themselves with her for that reason.
    She was bisexual and she dated a guy and a girl during uni. She took a while to open up to them..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhaenys10)
    Prove it :P

Shall I PM you some fap material? :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Shall I PM you some fap material? :mmm:
    Yes please do it ASAP

ReputationRep:
    Because I create more than my fair share of threads may I also ask: how much does weirdness contribute to lonesomeness and how much does lonesomeness contribute to perceived weirdness? I drink coffee on my own almost every day at the cafe and am curious to know if I am earning a bad reputation by doing this. Not that it would stop me drinking coffee but I had a girl today stand diagonally behind me on her phone for some time (and not in some designated standing spot) and walk again the moment I got out of my chair to get another drink just as I suspected she might do. I perhaps would not have been suspicious at all had another girl not came up to me with her phone and made eye contact with me shortly before turning back around and if before that I didn't end up making eye contact with another girl three times when I was looking to find a seat, which still might not have aroused suspicion within me if only I did not get surprised whenever someone I'm talking to looks at me.

ReputationRep:

But if you wanted people around you could you easily get them? Would you find it much effort to garner people to actively sit next to you in lecture theaters for example? Or do people seem to do that anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queenofswords)
    I am a complete (self-professed) loner, but I've been told I'm very attractive
    And it's true, I can make friends easily. I just can't keep them.
    Would you say other girls want to associate themselves with you at least partly based on how you look?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oiseaux_tropic)
    Yes they do, particularly if they are shy and introverted which is the case for a lot of people.

To turn things around once of the physically least attractive girls I ever met had LOADS of really good looking boyfriends, was incredibly popular and had a ridiculous amount of friends.

A large part of popularity isn't attractiveness but confidence and being fun/ interesting. If you can do all of these things then you can get around being ugly/ unattractive physically because one of the most attractive things is confidence/ personality/ being funny etc. Your looks might put a few shallow people off talking to you who are probably not worth knowing anyway, but if you can get the conversation started and be really fun and interesting then most people won't care about how you look physically.

If on the other hand you are really attractive but have no personality and are female then you will still get loads of attention, but from the wrong sort of guys who just want to sleep with you.
    I was thinking about popularity among the same sex. But who are these fun and/or interesting and/or confident guys who attract the opposite sex anyway? I have heard so much about them but know none. Not that I would know one only from seeing them together as I have terrible judgement of the attractiveness of a man. I only even know I'm ugly because a girl told me. Guys with beards are impossible for me to estimate. I simply cannot understand how a woman can deduce whether a man is attractive when half of his face is obscured.

I'm apparently attractive, but because my confidence when it comes to girls is so low it means I'm not as successful with girls as quite a few worse looking guys than me.

In terms of friends, I guess I have made friends at Uni pretty easily but that's because I'm outgoing and I like to meet new people.

ReputationRep:
    Would you say other girls want to associate themselves with you at least partly based on how you look?
    Yes, both sexes. I can hit it off well, I look confident. Just can't maintain long term connections with people.

I don't look awkward at all, but I am :cry2:

Alot of people find me attractive (girl) but I have very few friends and I got bullied ALOT throughout GCSE's and middle/lower school, I'm in sixth form and the bullying is alot better. The reason I was bullied because I was so shy and quiet- which made me an easy target for bullying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm in sixth form and the bullying is alot better.
    They upped their game, huh?

(Original post by Anonymous)
    The reason I was bullied because I was so shy and quiet- which made me an easy target for bullying

I cann't imagine what problem someone would have with someone else being shy and quiet

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 4, 2017
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.