Turn on thread page Beta

Andy Murray is world Number 1 watch

(Original post by Federerr)
    You're welcome bro

I don't understand why people think Murray is better than Federer. I know he's world number 1 atm but just really if Federer didn't have those injuries he would be soo good. Plus he;s getting old as well

Remeber the days where it always between Nadal and Federer? Miss those times

ReputationRep:
    He has had a great career to have won 3 Grand Slams and 2 Olympic golds, and now been World no.1, considering the era he has played in. He has reached 6 other Grand Slam finals which he lost to Djokovic or Federer so had he played in another era you could potentially have added another three or four Grand Slams on to his career total.

I wouldn't put him in the all time elite of the game category, eg Federer, Djokovic, Nadal, Sampras, Agassi, Lendl.

However I would put him alongside other top class players, like Becker, Edberg, McEnroe.

ReputationRep:
    Won last 4 tournaments, without beating any top 10 player. **** tennis these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fnt1klo)
    Won last 4 tournaments, without beating any top 10 player. **** tennis these days.
    Whereas he's just beat 5 of the top 10 in a row, including 4 of the top 5 on his way to winning ATP.

actually am the worlds -1 champion.He'd have to beat me first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IamJacksContempt)
    Whereas he's just beat 5 of the top 10 in a row, including 4 of the top 5 on his way to winning ATP.
    I am sure you know it's ATP World tour finale and top 8 players come to play. So obviously he will play top 10.In my comment I was not criticising Murray but other top 10 players, as they fail to reach the finals.It shows a lot about tennis these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IamJacksContempt)
    And the 5th of the top 5 being himself anyway?

Overall, I think it's well deserved that Murray gets a stint of Number1.
    no-one is saying this equals being the G.O.A.T, or even that he suddenly becomes one of the legends of the game.
    I admit to being a "murray fanboy" as someone earlier mentioned, but, all bias aside, he is an incredibly talented player, who has has the incredible fortune and misfortune to play in this era.
    He has been misfortunate in that his GS tally is much lower than it would have been otherwise (but this also applies to Federer, Djokovic, and Nadal- imagine how many slams each of them would have won if they hadn't been competing against each other)
    On the contrary, he has been motivated by these "G.O.A.Ts" to improve the game way beyond what it would have been if he was casually winning GSs against the rest of the top 20 had Fed, Djok and Nadal not have been playing in this time period.

I agree with the previous post which puts him on par with Becker, McEnroe etc.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.