The Student Room Group

Does anyone else think safe space and trigger warning culture is moronic?

Scroll to see replies

Trigger warnings are complete baloney. 10 years ago, being triggered meant PTSD or epilepsy - nowadays it's oversensitive, attention-seeking nutcases who think they are the centre of the universe.

As for safe spaces (e.g. at university), it's nearly as dumb as trigger warnings. If the university isn't safe enough already, it should be made safer. However if some woman gets triggered by a guy glancing at her and demands a man-free safe space (I can't believe this actually happens) then they need to grow a thicker skin, just like the billions of people that have come before us.
Reply 21
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Why thank-you :holmes: :lol:

its elementary.
Original post by Athconsec
its elementary.

my dear watson
Reply 23
Original post by SteamboatMickey
my dear watson

I like you.
Original post by Athconsec
I like you.

Sentiment is a chemical defect found on the losing side.

Spoiler

In the words of one of my favourite speakers, Ben Shapiro, "Facts don't care about your feelings and neither do I"
What is the difference between a trigger warning and those 'viewer discretion advised' on TV and in film?
Original post by Orbital Rising
Every anti-PC student I have met has been a sperg so I am fully supportive of putting them in a safe space.

Might want to look at the ideas not a few of the people representing them.

Many PC people and SJW's are pretty stupid too. But I disagree with them due to their ideas and not due to them.

A SJW would also censor your comment as you used to word "sperg" and that could be mean to people with Aspergers.
Original post by AperfectBalance
Might want to look at the ideas not a few of the people representing them.

Many PC people and SJW's are pretty stupid too. But I disagree with them due to their ideas and not due to them.

A SJW would also censor your comment as you used to word "sperg" and that could be mean to people with Aspergers.

I have looked at their ideas and that's why I know for sure that they're spergs.

I don't like the SJWs either but it's much easier to avoid them, by not going on Tumblr or to student protests. But the anti-PC crowd are much more present on the internet and they ruin generally good websites like YouTube and Reddit.
I have looked at their ideas and that's why I know for sure that they're spergs.

I don't like the SJWs either but it's much easier to avoid them, by not going on Tumblr or to student protests. But the anti-PC crowd are much more present on the internet and they ruin generally good websites like YouTube and Reddit.

While some of the loudest ones are pretty stupid I will agree with you the reason there is so much backlash is due to America, look at some of the crazy rules and policies the Schools have put in place.

While it may be annoying to see some stupid comments on youtube and facebook I would rather see that than real life be tainted by Sjw policy.
Original post by AperfectBalance
While some of the loudest ones are pretty stupid I will agree with you the reason there is so much backlash is due to America, look at some of the crazy rules and policies the Schools have put in place.

While it may be annoying to see some stupid comments on youtube and facebook I would rather see that than real life be tainted by Sjw policy.

I would rather have SJW policy in the public sphere than NRx but I agree that some of the rules policing is a little extreme.

If we could find a perfect balance between these positions that would be great.
Look at all these people getting triggered about other people getting triggered xD
I would rather have SJW policy in the public sphere than NRx but I agree that some of the rules policing is a little extreme.

If we could find a perfect balance between these positions that would be great.

only just learned of NRx but yeah they are not what I stand for.

We have probably gone a bit too sjw especially in America.
but I agree balance is needed
Original post by Bean sprout
Look at all these people getting triggered about other people getting triggered xD

Which would mean that you would have to put up a trigger warning before putting up trigger warnings. After all, some people might be really offended by the idea of trigger warnings.
'trigger warning culture' was created to support victims of PTSD. Trigger jokes basically make fun of trauma that people have experienced. I mean, trigger warnings have gone too far somewhat but they are still important in keeping people from experiencing panic attacks, they aren't just for offence

I think safe spaces do more good than harm. LGBT safe spaces, safe spaces such as AA, etc. I mean, people always make the argument that they segregate and disregard freedom of speech. But, you can go to pride, as a straight person, and no one would bat an eyelid. I kind of disagree with the whole university safe space idea because that's taking it too far, but they shouldn't be banned or anything, they are still important
Original post by epage
'trigger warning culture' was created to support victims of PTSD. Trigger jokes basically make fun of trauma that people have experienced. I mean, trigger warnings have gone too far somewhat but they are still important in keeping people from experiencing panic attacks, they aren't just for offence

I think safe spaces do more good than harm. LGBT safe spaces, safe spaces such as AA, etc. I mean, people always make the argument that they segregate and disregard freedom of speech. But, you can go to pride, as a straight person, and no one would bat an eyelid. I kind of disagree with the whole university safe space idea because that's taking it too far, but they shouldn't be banned or anything, they are still important

Having a tantrum when someone tells you that it's silly to identify as marmalade, or when being told that men liking boobs isn't "rape culture", is not PTSD.

Syrian kids who wake up screaming from dreams of when their houses got bombed by Russian jets is PTSD.
Wouldn't go as far as moronic but I don't think it's necessarily the best remedy for the problems it's intended to address.
Original post by epage

These kids using 'safe spaces' do not have PTSD. They're mostly just upset from hearing things they don't like and feel threatened by the world around them because it doesn't conform to their ideals and delicate sensibilities.

Young people are becoming increasingly fragile these days, and all these 'safe spaces' really do is enable this hyper-fragility and encourage people to wrap themselves up in cotton wool. They also serve to create ideological echo chambers sheltered from critique and dissent. It's not healthy for one's intelect, nor one's character.

The real world doesn't have 'safe spaces.' The real world challenges and offends, and young people need to learn to accept that.
Original post by Dandaman1
These kids using 'safe spaces' do not have PTSD. They're mostly just upset from hearing things they don't like and feel threatened by the world around them because it doesn't conform to their ideals and delicate sensibilities.

Young people are becoming increasingly fragile these days, and all these 'safe spaces' really do is enable this hyper-fragility and encourage people to wrap themselves up in cotton wool. They also serve to create ideological echo chambers sheltered from critique and dissent. It's not healthy for one's intelect, nor one's character.

The real world doesn't have 'safe spaces.' The real world challenges and offends, and young people need to learn to accept that.

We use all kinds of warnings to help us control what we see or read on the internet and in the real world. NSFW warnings, NSFL warnings, spoiler tags, viewer discretion warnings, age ratings and so on. I don't see what makes trigger warnings so bad. Is it that hard to understand that rape victims might not want to read graphic descriptions of sexual assault, or that victims of homophobic/transphobic violence might not want to read accounts thereof? Because these are the only times I've ever seen trigger warnings used seriously.
Original post by KingBradly
Having a tantrum when someone tells you that it's silly to identify as marmalade, or when being told that men liking boobs isn't "rape culture", is not PTSD.

Syrian kids who wake up screaming from dreams of when their houses got bombed by Russian jets is PTSD.

I agree (somewhat) I do think that trigger warnings are only suitable when someone may have panic/anxiety attacks etc, rather than for just offence. I think if we put trigger warning on mildly offence comments, it waters down the seriousness of the need of them in some cases

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending