Why dont more women choose engineering? Watch

1secondsofvamps
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
one of my best friend is actually doing a 3 year engineering apprenticeship with EDF.

personally i just dont find it interesting so thats why im not doing anything in that field.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
one of my best friend is actually doing a 3 year engineering apprenticeship with EDF.

personally i just dont find it interesting so thats why im not doing anything in that field.
Indeed. And there are many thousands of women doing engineering degrees, just not as many as men.

Another is CompSci, which interestingly in its early days was much more balanced.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2752874
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This IQ arguement isn't the greatest, to be frank. Physicians have the highest average IQ out of any profession, that's including physicists, mathematicians, engineers, chemists - all sorts. Yet for medicine, it's pretty much 60:40 in female favour (at university level). Yes, there are more genius men than genius woman, but there are still plenty of non-genius woman that are very bright, to a degree that they would make a competent engineer. I and others have mentioned that there is a culture here, and a fair disinterest in physics A level that deters females doing engineering. Now, in other countries, such as India, many women who go to university do something like engineering or physics, disproportionally so when compared to the UK.

There are plenty of women that are smart enough to be engineers, they just lack the interest to (for whatever reason - it's difficult to conclusively state.) IQ doesn't really have much to do with it. IIRC, there are more women that men that have an IQ in the range of 110-120, so they're fairly bright. That's sufficient enough to do engineering.

The IQ argument is really only sufficient when you consider an extremely high intelligence requiring job - like professor of theoretical physics at MIT.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (97)
18.91%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (326)
63.55%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.68%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed