Turn on thread page Beta

Dixons withdraw Manhunt game watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    I think this is an atrocity - it's one more step towards the US blame culture. People just don't take responsibility for their own actions; it's always someone else's fault.
    I unreservedly agree with this point.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.play.com/play247.asp?sear...&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

how coincidental is it that copies of manhunt on all formats are out of stock?

anyway, the game shouldnt be banned. it has that "only for 18 year-olds or over - graphic violence" sticker for a reason, so surely it's the shop's fault for selling it to them, or the parent's fault for letting their kids play the game?

a game, film, song or whatever, isnt going to change any normal person into an axe-wielding homocidal maniac. to kill someone like that kid did, you have to be pretty messed up, and that's something no game will do.

ReputationRep:
    The fact is the two lads (the murderer and the murdered) played the game together so why is it that only one of them - especially the older one - decided he was going to kill someone? If the game was to blame, why weren't they both affected and it would also be reasonable to assume it would be more likely to affect the younger guy (the kid who was killed was 14). So, although Manhunt could be seen as a factor, it cannot be blamed. People are just looking for a scapegoat/contraversial news story.

ReputationRep:
    did you say they played the game together? and one killed the other? if so you are wrong.

ReputationRep:
    wasnt that good of a game anyway

ReputationRep:
    just got a text saying its been banned in the country... don't think thats right, but if anyone has heard differently...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james101)
    did you say they played the game together? and one killed the other? if so you are wrong.
    No, my friend. You are the one that is wrong. The ITN special report I've just seen said, "The Manhunt game was found in LeBlancs bedroom. The two boys regularly played it together".

ReputationRep:
    They should be more concerned about the parents who let their kid play a game he couldn't handle.If I were a parent I would have a taken a look at the game and taken it away my child. Even though I think the game is disgusting I don't think the game should be banned.

The Columbine killings were blamed on Doom and a road killing was blamed GTA. Millions have played these games and less than a handfull of kids went out to kill people. The government can't save every kid. IMO These kids were messed up before they played video games. The only people who could have saved them were the parents and its the parents who have blood on there hands not the games industry.

ReputationRep:
    They have taken this too far. What they are doing is setting the standard by the most extreme case. Any normal individual wouldn't just go and kill someone just because of a game and therefore the individual in question must be an extreme case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMutantGerbil)
    No, my friend. You are the one that is wrong. The ITN special report I've just seen said, "The Manhunt game was found in LeBlancs bedroom. The two boys regularly played it together".
    they wernt friends, and the police statement released said there is no connnection with the game, and that it was a attempted robbery.

My friend i think you should do your research before you speak

The game hasnt been banned from the whole country from what i know, the dixons group which include pc world etc have stopped selling it maybe others not sure.

ReputationRep:
    just one article for you to look at, im sure there are others that might have a little more info.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/st...271302,00.html

using a video game as a scapegoat for a murder is stupid, but i think the certificate ratings for certain games has to be more strictly enforced, to try and keep out of reach of borderline psychos

ReputationRep:
    LOL, take a look at the Daily Mail this morning if you get the chance. Theres a classic piece of Daily Mail style journalism on the front page for you to enjoy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james101)
    they wernt friends, and the police statement released said there is no connnection with the game, and that it was a attempted robbery.

My friend i think you should do your research before you speak

The game hasnt been banned from the whole country from what i know, the dixons group which include pc world etc have stopped selling it maybe others not sure.
    Argue your point with ITN, then, because I'm sure they would have broadcast that if it wasn't true... If they weren't sure of the fact, they wouldn't have said it becuase there would have been severe legal implications.

ReputationRep:
    Just for you james, taken from this story on the bbc website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/l...re/3936597.stm

"A number of high street retailers have taken the violent computer game Manhunt off their shelves.
    The move comes after the parents of a schoolboy murdered by a friend blamed the game for their son's death."

Obviously different stories cover different info so it's understandable that you were mistaken but to accuse me of not doing my research was a bit out of order.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 30, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.