Pick your new leader - The Nutcase or The Crook watch

• View Poll Results: Vote for your nations leader
    The Nutcase
    52.94%
    The Crook
    47.06%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    Wow. What staggers and saddens me is that in a population of over 200 million people, these two are supposedly the best two choices for President.
    There's a green candidate and a libertarian candidate as well, but they haven't been included in the presidential debates and aren't well known about. Sadly, any vote for them is pretty much a wasted vote as the US political system is so largely dominated by the two big main parties. I know Jill Stein is one, no idea who the other is but it makes it seem a bit more unfair that they haven't even been allowed to participate in the big media debates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by remarius)
    The thought that he would be elected was scary enough, until I realised that politicians in NI have been using the same tactics for years. I'm surprised he hasn't invited Arlene over yet, they could bond over their love of the colour orange.
    LOL.

ReputationRep:
    Why do both options allow me to vote for Hillary?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    I don't think a President has any true individual power; it's the people in Washington behind the scenes
    Yup, and congress, and the broader administration (Pence, for example, has impressed me as the most credible political operator on display RN)

If he were to become President and were to potentially be in danger of doing something really wacky and scary i'm sure the real powers that be would have no choice but to intervene; one way or another. They'd have to
    This is our only hope as the NeoCons behind Kerry/Hilary et al. continue to escalate things with Russia. An FBI/military mutiny or coup may be necessary to avert international disaster

(Original post by Twinpeaks)
    Yeah because Bush was kept in check wasn't he
    He had a comfortable house majority and was at the heart of a NeoCon machine, like Hilary, that was much, much bigger than the office of POTUS, never mind Bush himself (a useful idiot if ever there was one)

Hilary is a lot less dangerous than Trump
    Who told you that, CNN?

Are you right wing?
    Nope, I operate on a higher level than binary/tribal ideologically polarised/ing politics

If so, why pretend that your preference for Trump is as naive as that?
    I’m not pretending anything, amigo, I’m TSR’s most long standing forthright socio-political commentator, infamous for wearing my heart on my sleeve and never shying away from political incorrectness, whichever side of any arbitrary political spectrometer it may land me on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)

He had a comfortable house majority and was at the heart of a NeoCon machine, like Hilary, that was much, much bigger than the office of POTUS, never mind Bush himself (a useful idiot if ever there was one)

Who told you that, CNN?

Nope, I operate on a higher level than binary/tribal ideologically polarised/ing politics

I’m not pretending anything, amigo, I’m TSR’s most long standing forthright socio-political commentator, infamous for wearing my heart on my sleeve and never shying away from political incorrectness, whichever side of any arbitrary political spectrometer it may land me on
    TSR's most forthright socio-political commentator? I don't know about that, I'd give that to Full of Surprises.

But, I would agree that you are one of TSR's most prominent deeply narcissistic, pseudo-intellectuals (or words to that effect, can't quite remember):

And that is comically supported by statements from you such as the one in bold :rofl:

You don't operate more highly than the rest of us. And those terms are not binary at all. I can guarantee that if I were to give you an evidenced based scale to measure your ideologies, you'd score highly on individualism. I know it.
    And that measure no doubt correlates with support for Trump.

You may think such terms are binary, but they aren't. They determine everything; your opinions, what you attend to, what you remember, what you seek out. It's a common concept within Psychology, and you can just see it in action when it comes to elections.

People choose their favourite opponent in regards to their own ideologies and self-serving reasons. They then selectively attend to, and use information to support their favourite, pretending than their decision is the most logical. But it's not, the exact same reasoning can and does, apply to the other opponent.

Both Trump and Clinton have their flaws. A very, very slight % us weighed these flaws logically, using all the information available. However most of us choose to give importance to the flaws that add force to our own argument. I.e, the complete reverse to what's logical.

You do it. I do it. We all do it.
    Let's just own up to it. You support Trump because he matches your ideology.

I am sorry for the long rant though.

ReputationRep:
    TSR's most forthright socio-political commentator? I don't know about that, I'd give that to Full of Surprises
    Bless her, I do hope you're joking

statements from you such as the one in bold
    You appear to have misinterpreted. "Higher" in a moralistic sense, not in an (intellectually) superior sense, per sae e.g. a political position that is in the best interests of truth and humanity, rather than personal privilege/prejudice. Capeesh?

They determine everything
    Only if you're afflicted by cardinal sins (e.g wrath, pride, greed). Fortunately, I'm reasonably free of such ills :borat:

you can just see it in action when it comes to elections
    At each and every election I vote pragmatically and on the basis of what I perceive to be the best interests of humanity. I am not wedded to right/left wing politics, a particular movement, or party, and have campaigned for competing forces at different junctures

People choose their favourite opponent in regards to their own ideologies and self-serving reasons
    In this election, I supported the candidate deemed, probabilistically, to be least worst candidate for the world, in my learned estimation. Both represented malevolent forces, but Hilary, and more specifically her backers, are sinister on a whole other level

then selectively attend to, and use information to support their favourite
    You'll never find me adopting the position of an ideologue, I always observe all sides of an argument. It's what psychologically secure, socially conscientious, intellectually honest, grown ups do

You support Trump because he matches your ideology
    There are aspects of his populism that appeal to me (migration, globalism, etc), but I have serious reservations about him, and his politics, just like everyone else. Our best hope is that with people like Pence around him, he won't be a total disaster

ReputationRep:
    so its the Nutcase. kind of thought it would be in the current climate

ReputationRep:
    Bless her, I do hope you're joking

You appear to have misinterpreted. "Higher" in a moralistic sense, not in an (intellectually) superior sense, per sae e.g. a political position that is in the best interests of truth and humanity, rather than personal privilege/prejudice. Capeesh?

Only if you're afflicted by cardinal sins (e.g wrath, pride, greed). Fortunately, I'm reasonably free of such ills :borat:

At each and every election I vote pragmatically and on the basis of what I perceive to be the best interests of humanity. I am not wedded to right/left wing politics, a particular movement, or party, and have campaigned for competing forces at different junctures

In this election, I supported the candidate deemed, probabilistically, to be least worst candidate for the world, in my learned estimation. Both represented malevolent forces, but Hilary, and more specifically her backers, are sinister on a whole other level

You'll never find me adopting the position of an ideologue, I always observe all sides of an argument. It's what psychologically secure, socially conscientious, intellectually honest, grown ups do

There are aspects of his populism that appeal to me (migration, globalism, etc), but I have serious reservations about him, and his politics, just like everyone else. Our best hope is that with people like Pence around him, he won't be a total disaster
    The bit in bold is what I mean by narcissistic :rofl:

That is not what "intellectually honest" grown ups do. Have you read the psychological literature on this? If so, find me the literature that will agree with you there. The fact is you do have an ideology, you may think you are more pragmatic. Maybe you are, but that's still an ideology. You are simply more practical, whereas others care more about the people, others are more communitarian.
    You are an individualist. Nothing wrong with that, but that collection of beliefs greatly influences your political opinion, influences the information you attend to, and remember.

You feel you are the perfect rational human, with the ability to gain all the evidence, weigh it appropriately to arrive at a more accurate, and logical opinion than the rest of us.

But you aren't. You're normal, as irrational as the rest of us, soz

ReputationRep:
    The bit in bold is what I mean by narcissistic
    Think perhaps someone needs to revise their definitions

you do have an ideology
    No way, are you psychic or something!? :gah:

You are an individualist
    According to which high authority on me? :holmes:

You feel you are the perfect rational human, with the ability to gain all the evidence
    News to me! :dontknow:

weigh it appropriately to arrive at a more accurate, and logical opinion than the rest of us
    Depends on a number of variables, but among the most reliable, in terms of perspicaciousness :beard:

You're normal, as irrational as the rest of us
    If there's one thing I'm not, it's "normal" :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Think perhaps someone needs to revise their definitions

No way, are you psychic or something!? :gah:

According to which high authority on me? :holmes:

News to me! :dontknow:

Depends on a number of variables, but among the most reliable, in terms of perspicaciousness :beard:

If there's one thing I'm not, it's "normal" :woo:

I think it's you who needs to revise your definitions.

No I'm not psychic I just have knowledge and a little common sense If you are human with normal, cognitive functioning you have an ideology. An ideology is simply a collection of beliefs, how can you not feel that you have that?

Well that's just it though. Unless you have the perfect mind, and are able to gain all the evidence and weigh it appropriately, you do rely on your ideology to guide you. So either you are a perfect rational human or you have some form of ideology

It's summed up in here really- https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...e-got-ideology

Okay maybe not normal, but as irrational as the rest of us.

ReputationRep:
    I have little common sense
    Replied here

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2016
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.