Turn on thread page Beta

Has anyone actually CURED their depression? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    At the start of the year, life just really got too much for me, and I felt I couldn't cope anymore. I even quit going to my counsellor because, I just didn't even want to leave the house, not to go to college, not to go anywhere. But, tbh, joining here made me feel a lot better in myself, as just talking to people just made life that bit more bearable. There are still some days where I feel terrible, where I feel I'm just going to relapse again, but, you've just got to keep going. I'm nowhere near 'cured', but I'm just taking one day at a time.
    Well done for having the courage to share it on here (especially while being logged in)
    I'm here if you want to talk.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Barbastelle)
    Well done for having the courage to share it on here (especially while being logged in)
    I'm here if you want to talk.
    Thank you.

You're very kind.

ReputationRep:
    no, it's been like 4/5 years now need to sort myself out

Posted from TSR Mobile

was pretty depressed for the last few years but it just started to fade away this year , as i started hanging around with friends more and constantly assured myself i was happy and having fun and it just started to go away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Not just 'low mood' but I-don't-feel-like-leaving-my-bed-ever-again' type.......
    i was depressed as a kid, but am not any more. if that counts?

ReputationRep:
    I had clinical depression for a few years as a teenager and would say I cured it with medication (just a couple of tweaks) and kind of talking therapy; my school allowed me to change classes from the negative people causing my depression and there were extra art classes for like a miscellaneous bundle of kids with all kinds of problems as well as separate study areas.

I have had anxiety and panic attacks sporadically that got worse when I was about 22 and that's been managed with medication and a group CBT course. I say managed and not cured but I'm in a much better place that its nowhere near what it was at the beginning, where I wasn't leaving the house and found anything new or different extremely difficult. I can do basically anything now, it doesn't stop me and in most cases they don't even occur any more.

Yes? I believe anyway!

During Secondary School I was so depressed, self harmed and saw a psychiatric nurse. No-one knew, not my family or friends. I wore a jumper all summer so no-one could see my scars. The nurse basically told me he wouldn't help if I didn't get my whole family in for some sort of family therapy, so I stopped seeing him as the whole condition of me seeing him was that it was secret. I felt as if he didn't believe me. I attempted suicide but woke up the next day as usual. Was depressed right until I finished school, but as soon as I started college and had more autonomy and freedom, I was absolutely fine.

Fast forward to university - second semester of second year I got so incredibly depressed again. As in woke up, missed all my lectures and stayed in bed all day depressed. I missed maybe 7 weeks of uni when I decided it had to stop and booked on to see a 'well-being counsellor' at my university. She did the most basic CBT ever, which I already knew as a psychology student, and it just went nowhere. Talking about how sad I am just doesn't make me feel better. I stopped that and decided to see a GP again. This time they took me a lot more seriously and prescribed some antidepressants. I took them for about 3 months, had a panic attack during an exam and failed. He failed to tell me that the type of drug I was taking can exacerbate symptoms of anxiety. I got extenuating circumstances and was allowed to retake. That summer though, I went travelling for 2 months. Took my antidepressants with me, but a few weeks in I completely forgot I had them. When I got back I didn't feel the need to start them again and haven't used them since. I retook the exam a couple days after I got back and got a 2.1.
    I have to admit that I'm not feeling amazing now with dissertation and exams looming again (and this year is worth 70% of my degree) but I don't feel depressed per se. I just feel stressed, breakdown a bit and keep getting migraines.

I honestly think antidepressants should be used short-term. This is what all the psychology literature says too. They're meant to be used to help return you to your baseline mood and that's it, then you stop. Mine took a very natural course where travelling made me forget I even had them with me, but taking them forever does no good at all.
    You have to find what's right for you. Talking therapies do nothing for me, the drugs worked (I think). I find that my depression peaks and pauses with life changes, and know it'll always be there. But right now. I'm pretty happy!
    I don't think you can ever be truly cured, but you can have it under control?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I wouldn't quite go as far as saying cured, but I am now at a point I almost never feel depressed. I was depressed for about 3 years before getting help and also had some OCD mixed in. It took a while (about 2 years) to get to the point I am now, but a combination of ADs and group therapy along with some life changes (cutting out bad friends etc) really helped me. I lost hope so often tinking I would never get any better or would always have to rely on drugs to keep me stable, but I proved myself wrong and I am now med free for a year and feeling good. Yeah I've had a couple of bad moments, but anybody can have those moments, depression or not so i'm starting to learn to not let that scare me.
    I'll never be able to go back to how I was before it started cos I was about 14 and now i'm an adult. There's no way for me to get back to that and honestly i'm struggling a little to work out what "normal" is now since adult and teenage normal are two very different things. I would say that my mood is the best I can ever remember is being though nd when I was depressed I never imagined life could feel so good.

There are still some struggles occasionally and I do sometimes find myself worried about my mood or that I might be slipping. I think I'm still in a bit of a rehab phase and that in time i'll learn not to be so afraid of changing moods and that it is normal to feel a bit "depressed" for a short time even for other people.
    I won't lie to you, it is a long road and there will be hard parts, but even if you never quite go back to normal you before it all started you can still feel well again. Honestly if you took anybody from a few years before and compared them to themself now they wouldn't be the same so don't worry about getting back to normal you, look out for when you feel happy, sociable, confident, in control again. When you feel that is when you are cured, even if you are scared occasionally or have a bad day.
    People with cured physical illnesses will get the same- they will never quite be the same and will still worry about it- but they are still cured, so don't let the fear of never being the same or having set backs stop you from noticing when you have improved and are doing better.

Not just 'low mood' but I-don't-feel-like-leaving-my-bed-ever-again' type.......
    yes, by taking anti-depressants
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Petulia)
    I've been seeing a counselor because people kept telling me that it can ease your depression, and while it is helpful to have someone who listens and being able to cry things out once a week, I don't really see it helping me in the long term. It fulfils that part of me which desperately needs someone to open up to and share things with, so I feel like someone cares and so I don't feel alone, but I feel like it's a bit of a temporary fix.

It feels like when I talk to her I get so many things off my chest and I feel so relieved afterwards to know that someone has just let me vent out all of the horrible thoughts I'd been having, as if she's just put a plaster over me. But over the week the same feelings start to come back and it's as if the plaster is getting old and starting to peel off and I need to see her again the next week to get a new plaster.

I would be really interested to know if counselling or therapy has worked for anyone else though as a treatment for depression, so I will keep watching this thread, it's a really good question that no one has ever really answered for me either.
    I had counselling and, a bit like what you've said, it never really helped make any changes, just kinda kept me going a bit or slowed the progress of the depression. I think counselling can be good for getting over specific things and for short term benefits, but that for proper long term mh problems (as opposed to the type that are related to a spicific incident and don't develop beyond that) therapy is needed.
    For me therapy was a bit hit and miss to start with too, but ADs helped to level me out enough to respond better and group therapy helped me more than one-to-one.
    Therapy is actually aimed at making changes rather than getting things off your chest and can help to actively fix things. For me group therapy also helped me feel less crazy or abnormal cos I was surrounded by people who could relate. I think being in that sort of supportive environment really helps the process.
    CBT is a pretty common type of therapy. It focuses on thought processes and behaviours and how you can adapt how you think and behave to improve things. It also helps to get to the bottom of causes behing feelings and emotions. It's pretty good and helped me a lot.

I'd suggest you talk to your doctor about therapy options since counselling seems not to be helping as much as you need.

Same here life is just full of disappointment
    (Original post by bubblegumcat)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by bubblegumcat)

Posted from TSR Mobile

No you can't it will always be there forever you might aswell run away from the problem/situation you will see things get better

ReputationRep:
    I was pretty severely depressed getting worse from 2004 to 2012. I didn't realize I was depressed until it was pointed out to me. I got help in 2007 and took medication. My depression lifted in 2012 and hasn't come back. I'm not even on the antidepressants anymore.

ReputationRep:
    You asked the question I've been wondering.

Wow thanks for such an overwhelming response! Looks like there is still some hope for me..

Hey I just wanted to respond to this as I thought it was an interesting thread

I have neurotic depression which is a bit different from severe depression. I have had a mild/moderate depression for many years now, but it's not something that bothers me. Why do you ask? Simply because I've learnt to embrace it. There's not much hope I'll ever get better, but honestly, if I don't that's ok. If I get better, I'm happy with that too. It's made me such a strong and resilient person and has challenged me so much. I "control" my depression. I know how it works, I study my behaviour, I do anything I need to stop myself from getting too depressed. I'm on a flat line, slightly low. I saw before you mentioned you meant cured as in how you were before you were depressed, but if I'm honest I wouldn't want that. I'm a different person and have learnt so much. I think now, understanding and accepting my depression, I've made myself happier and more resilient to every time where I might feel worse that usual. So it's help my symptoms go away quite a lot. I am now more confident/outgoing, etc. how I was before I was depressed, so that's ok.

Double depression is what bothers me. That's when I have my normal depression + severe depression which is absolute hell. Because everytime I get double depressed, I'm more and more likely over time to go into a persistent severe depression. Douple depression is what the real danger for me is.. if I can ease my symptoms for now, that's okay.

Talking therapies don't work too well on me. I can improve different areas of my life to reduce stress, and I also "use" CBT to combat/manage my depression which I had to learn myself, because I have been deserted by CAMHS. Because of this I don't have persistent depressing thoughts, and I actually have more confidence. It's the feeling of sadness that's just there, feeling lonely and isolated that is always there. I know anti-depressants with talking therapy is meant to work best for my depression but I doubt I'll ever get it.. One year on a waiting list, and I've been in hospital multiple times.. But that's ok because I can deal with it myself.

I do have a private counsellor, I get her for free because she is empathetic because of my treatment by the NHS. I only see her maybe once a month, if things get a bit tougher than usual. I tried persisent appointments but they didn't help and because I don't pay I don't want to waste it.

I hope it was useful? My perspective and experience of my depression, basically. My message is that I'm fine with how I am and I've accepted it. I have, and will continue to do, everything in my power to improve my situation. If it doesn't go away, that's fine. If it does, I'll be happy. But I'm resilient and I have gone through so much, which has hardened me and made me strong. I'm happy about who I am.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.