Turn on thread page Beta

CIVIL WAR: Violent rallies sweep America as protesters BURN US flag after Trump victo watch

ReputationRep:
    People have the right to do this, it's not a civil war jfc.

But obviously this is going to achieve nothing. He won fair and square (even though a system whereby a candidate who gets more votes can actually lose is ridiculous).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)

But obviously this is going to achieve nothing. He won fair and square (even though a system whereby a candidate who gets more votes can actually lose is ridiculous).
    Yes Hillary did win the popular vote...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine774)
    Yes Hillary did win the popular vote...
    By under 1%.

Sure she won it, but the minute margin suggests both candidates weren't popular.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodgypirate)
    By under 1%.

Sure she won it, but the minute margin suggests both candidates weren't popular.
    Yes compared to Obama they did VERY badly! I think what made everybody tense is that it was SO close...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    People are using their democratic right to protest and it gets hysterically labelled as civil war? The degenerate right really are embracing post-truth politics.
    I think the key word was violent, not quite a civil war I know, but correct me if I'm wrong, violent protests are not a legal right.
    (Or are they calling peaceful protests violent?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tubbz)
    People got a chance to vote. The people decided Trump should be president. Get over it.

Not saying I like the guy, but that's how democracy works, you vote, and you get a decision.
    the people voted for Hillary doe - she got the most popular vote
    it's cos their electoral college system is ****ed up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cremated_Spatula)
    I think the key word was violent, not quite a civil war I know, but correct me if I'm wrong, violent protests are not a legal right.
    (Or are they calling peaceful protests violent?)
    From the pictures I've seen on TV and reports as I've read, you've got to set an exceptionally low bar to regard them as violent demonstrations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    From the pictures I've seen on TV and reports as I've read, you've got to set an exceptionally low bar to regard them as violent demonstrations.
    From what I saw of TV reports yeah, doesn't look violent.

It's like the title doesn't match up at all with the video in this article.

Reading through it, there was only Oakland, California that turned into a riot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    their electoral college system is ****ed up
    The electoral college exists for good reasons. It stops a huge number of people in a small area dictating what happens for the entire nation (most counties are actually republican but the democrats are concentrated in large cities).

Its also there to dilute the full democracy that the founding fathers were afraid of. The electors could, in theory, vote against what the people in their state do. This would stop tyrants or convicted criminals or traitors gaining office by popular vote.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The left are always burning flags, I would be more concerned if they weren't because it could mean they're using their one collective brain cell to make a proper plan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by z33)
    the people voted for Hillary doe - she got the most popular vote
    it's cos their electoral college system is ****ed up
    It's no worse than the UK's election system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)

You mean like Clement Attlee in 1951 or Ted Heath in 1974?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.