Turn on thread page Beta

Is 7 hours of revision enough to get A's and A* at alevel watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how bright you are, and that is a very important factor in revision - relatively smart people I know are able to pull out an A wth just two weeks of 5 hours a day revision. Considering your previous grades, you probably do not need that much revision - just do 1-2 hours a day and if you do not skip, you should end up with like A*A*A by the results day.

ReputationRep:
    Seven hours is not too much not because it's impossible, but it's too much because you will never actually do it if all you've done before is revision before exams. You can't transform into a different person just from drawing a timetable.

Ignore the people saying do one or two hours a day.

Try hard to do three hours a day now, and then three months before exams up it to five hours a day, two months before maybe seven, and in the last month just do as much as you physically cab.

As someone realistically aiming for those kinds of grades, I'd say that is what you should aim for.

BUT.

Make sure the revision you are doing is QUALITY revision. E.g making revision cards, posters, writing essays or making posters, videos, whatever works for you. Reading your textbook over and over is NOT revision and will not help you. Active revision is what you need.

Also, try and have some motivation for doing the revision, because actually forcing yourself to do it will be horrible and you'll hate it. So, for every hour you watch an episode of your favourite TV show etc, have delicious snacks while doing revision, or something like that.

Also, while you're revising, switch notifications off your phone, and any other similar distractions.

That is my advice, hope you can get the grades you want!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrenchNerd2)
    Work smarter not harder - staring at your notes for 7 hours is not as practical as doing an hour long essay plus some flash cards and getting like 1h30 under your belt. My college recommended 4 hours per subject per week and I probably did no more than that (if that at all) and got AAAA in my AS levels.
    Ahh so great to hear i dont have to do 7 hrs to get the best grades and congratz

ReputationRep:
    THank you all for the comments and advice!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine774)
    You should do one or two hours, but regularly and consistently. 7 hours is way too much!
    i was in the middle of my PHD seminar whilst looking for some people (of a lower intelligence than myself) on the internet to help out and i saw this thread pop up with your comment highlighted in the middle of my Iphone X Plus. To my surprise, i noticed you say that 7 hours is way too much. Aghast, i instantly stood up and asked my professor what he thought of this disgusting remark. Along with the rest of the class, he froze immediately. After a few seconds had passed, he began to compose himself and decided to come to terms with the disgusting question i had just asked. He asked me where i had found this outrageous idea, and so i told him the situation. He ran up to me and snatched my Iphone X Plus out of my hand to make sure i wasnt lying. For the 26 years i have been on this earth, i have never witnessed such sadness and despair in a mans eye. How could 7 hours be enough? how could you take breaks in revision? The class was left with all this to ponder for the rest of the seminar.

in conclusion, i told you this story to show you how imbecilic this comment was and i would like to ask you never to muster up so much confidence to state your foolish opinions on the internet. I am not angry, just disapointed.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.