Turn on thread page Beta

What A-level Subjects should I take to study Law at a top University? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Neither Cambridge or Oxford have a problem with Sociology or Psychology. Sociology is something Cambridge only recommend for applications to Arts and Social Science courses - so for law it would be fine.

The key is to take subjects where you're likely to get A*A*A or higher predictions if you are mainly interested in Oxbridge law courses. With *just* AAA/A*AA predictions your chances of an offer are very low.

None of those subjects would prevent you from getting an offer. Languages are VERY tough to do well in (so you might find that they're more lenient if you have a lower prediction with German A level).
    Attachment 593904
    This is very helpful! Thank you!

Interestingly I just changed one of the the Subjects from Social Science to German for Cambridge (A*A*A*) and the percentage has increased to 79% !
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Yes, I assume so. I suppose I"m still in a mindset where 3 A grades at A level is about top of the pops - it really isn't now, is it? Being something of a fan of statistics, I do wonder how discriminatory A* have been for the best institutions in identifying the best students, or whether they would ideally want an A**: maybe the top 0.5% of the cohort. Maybe they've accepted that that level of granularity is unrealistic and their admissions tests and interviews do very well in sorting out the wheat from the chaff, even if that chaff comprises students with predictions of A*s!
    Very very few get 3A* (I think it's 3% of total students) so the A* does do it's job in most cases. At the very top end Cambridge and Oxford do have MAT/STEP, etc, and also the med schools have BMAT and law schools LNAT to help differentiate.

There certainly has been grade inflation though, and Cambridge increased their Economics from A*AA to A*A*A this year. They had already increased science offers to A*A*A a few years ago.
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by LucindaBurton)
    This is very helpful! Thank you!

Interestingly I just changed one of the the Subjects from Social Science to German for Cambridge (A*A*A*) and the percentage has increased to 79% !
    Getting A* predicted in German will be tough - the level for an A* is extremely high because native German speakers take German A levels (and the same with other languages).

If you like German and think you'll do well then absolutely go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    The statistics - are closely guarded and difficult to source.

https://www.ucas.com/file/43181/download?token=lnUjPHdK contains the likelihood of applicants meeting or exceeding their predictions - it's basically flattened out at 40% of applicants (so 60% missing their predictions....but the vast majority still get accepted).
    Attachment 593908
    (Original post by jneill)
    Very very few get 3A* (I think it's 3% of total students) so the A* does do it's job in most cases. At the very top end Cambridge and Oxford do have MAT/STEP, etc, and also the med schools have BMAT and law schools LNAT to help differentiate. There certainly has been grade inflation though, and Cambridge increased their Economics from A*AA to A*A*A this year. They had already increased science offers to A*A*A a few years ago.
    Thanks to you both for these knowledgable insights. I'll be interested to see how moving the A levels to a linear format changes the situation, particularly in terms of predicted grades. The graph showing 60% of students missing their predictions is extremely surprising to me and very interesting. In any other situation, a model which gets 6 in every 10 cases wrong would be instantly binned! I wonder what the rationale behind sustaining a model where so many predicted grades fall short of their target actually is?!
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    I think I might have asked you this before... is there a per university, per course, report showing the % acceptances for various "offer missed" scenarios? e.g. 50% accepted with one grade missed, 10% accepted with a two grade miss, etc. ??
    hahaha

no - if it was available it would scare the pants off the sector.

All we can say is that over 60% of applicants get into their firm place....but only 40% meet or exceed their predictions so that's a VERY large group of people accepted with lower grades.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by PQ)
    hahaha

no - if it was available it would scare the pants off the sector.

All we can say is that over 60% of applicants get into their firm place....but only 40% meet or exceed their predictions so that's a VERY large group of people accepted with lower grades.
    Interesting. *Very* interesting
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Thanks to you both for these knowledgable insights. I'll be interested to see how moving the A levels to a linear format changes the situation, particularly in terms of predicted grades. The graph showing 60% of students missing their predictions is extremely surprising to me and very interesting. In any other situation, a model which gets 6 in every 10 cases wrong would be instantly binned! I wonder what the rationale behind sustaining a model where so many predicted grades fall short of their target actually is?!
    Noone can agree on a new model for post results applications.

Schools don't want to move the exams a few weeks earlier.
    Exam boards don't want to mark a week or so quicker.
    Universities (especially in Scotland) aren't willing to move their start dates a month or more back.

And since 2010 the government hasn't been interested in fixing the system. The BIG problem is that there's a big difference between schools types and the tendency to over-predict/under-predict. State schools tend to under predict, independent schools over predict....which is why a lot more universities will basically offer to anyone (or brought in contextual offers).

https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/f...nsultation.pdf <= it was all set to be forced through in 2008/2009 before the plug got pulled. https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/f...mendations.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Very very few get 3A* (I think it's 3% of total students) so the A* does do it's job in most cases. At the very top end Cambridge and Oxford do have MAT/STEP, etc, and also the med schools have BMAT and law schools LNAT to help differentiate.

There certainly has been grade inflation though, and Cambridge increased their Economics from A*AA to A*A*A this year. They had already increased science offers to A*A*A a few years ago.
    Yeah: university of York decreased their economics from AAA with A in maths to AAB to B in maths. Is this because of the Cambridge course increasing?
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by MajorFader)
    Yeah: university of York decreased their economics from AAA with A in maths to AAB to B in maths. Is this because of the Cambridge course increasing?
    It's more likely because they've either
    a) realised that people with a B in maths can succeed on the course but weren't applying because of their high standard offer
    or
    b) with curriculum reform on A levels they know that many schools/colleges are making lower predicted grades and they don't want to end up with no students

ReputationRep:
    You can take any subject you like. My brother took maths, further maths bio chem and physics and ended up doing law in a top uni.

In the same way my cousin did english lit, history and sociology and got into law at a top uni.
    It honestly doesn't matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by MajorFader)
    Is this because of the Cambridge course increasing?
    How so?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.