Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1M)
    FTP=file transfer protocol
    IRC= Internet relay chat (mirc is a IRC client)
    basically they are two ways to send files over the internet...
    i was hinting at trading games over the internet... (might be slightly less legit )
    Oh right, okay. I thought so, but i couldn't really place how IRC could be used for it...

Anyway, i'm not talking illegal trading over the net.
    I'm talking legal trading of original software (to attempt not to get this thread deleted by it being turned into more... illegal suggestions)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    I got Castlevania ~ Symphony of the Night for £80 off ebay. But since it's the "Limited Collectors Edition" with an art booklet, I think it's kind of worth it.

I have no apparent preference over the PS1 games people are willing swap with me. I have the following in CD Image format

Castlevania ~ Symphony of the Night, PS1, mds, mdf,
    Breath of Fire 3, PS1, iso
    Breath of Fire 4, PS1, bin, cue
    Harvest Moon ~ Back to Nature, PS1, iso
    Final Fantasy ~ Tactics, PS1, iso

I run them on an emulator, which apparently is illegal if you don't own a PS1 machine. And I don't.

On my last thought. Apparently, the copyright law states that the trading of copyrighted material is illegal. So, if this thread was to carry on like this, UKL might be held liable for the "illegal" activities.
    I'm never quite sure, but i don't think the emulators are illegal as such, although the newer ones may be, but its the roms, if you do not own the original, which are illegal, as far as i am aware, although sega are apparently setting up a legal rom site, where you pay for the classic games they put up there, although i think a 6 quid price tag is a bit over the top (although it may have changed, if its going ahead at all).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    I'm never quite sure, but i don't think the emulators are illegal as such, although the newer ones may be, but its the roms, if you do not own the original, which are illegal, as far as i am aware, although sega are apparently setting up a legal rom site, where you pay for the classic games they put up there, although i think a 6 quid price tag is a bit over the top (although it may have changed, if its going ahead at all).
    you need to own a playstation in order to use most emulators as they often use a playstation bios file that is copyrighted... roms/isos are illegal too unless you own the original...
    Oh right, okay. I thought so, but i couldn't really place how IRC could be used for it...
    you can send files quite efficiently over IRC
    Anyway, i'm not talking illegal trading over the net.
    I'm talking legal trading of original software (to attempt not to get this thread deleted by it being turned into more... illegal suggestions)
    OK... ill refrain myself from posting about such activities on this thread...

ReputationRep:
    Well if i had a faster hamster in the wheel of my 56k modem (still awaiting broadband...) then maybe.
    Well, it is only 130MB, which is doable on 56K, just get something with resume support.

ReputationRep:
    I would be willing to trade some games I suppose, but here is a tip. Before desposing of an old game, check out the modding sites for that game. Finding a new mod for old games can extend the life by years. Also, finding no-cd patches means you can use games even if the CD goes missing, or your friend wants it back. I prefer to NO-CD all my games unless I play them online (that tends to mess up), simply for convenince, I find the russian sites are best for this, their laws are not as strict or something. Oh and this is legal as long as you have ownership of the game. Don't use it and then, say, take the game back to the store, as that would be stealing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pal_sch)
    I would be willing to trade some games I suppose, but here is a tip. Before desposing of an old game, check out the modding sites for that game. Finding a new mod for old games can extend the life by years. Also, finding no-cd patches means you can use games even if the CD goes missing, or your friend wants it back. I prefer to NO-CD all my games unless I play them online (that tends to mess up), simply for convenince, I find the russian sites are best for this, their laws are not as strict or something. Oh and this is legal as long as you have ownership of the game. Don't use it and then, say, take the game back to the store, as that would be stealing.
    If you game is quite old you can check to see if you can get it on abandonware, like here.

ReputationRep:
    PS1 emulator requires a bios file. Which means that it is illegal to use unless you own a playstation. Talking about roms, I have about 60 roms for MAME, got all of them when Mame.dk was still up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    Well, it is only 130MB, which is doable on 56K, just get something with resume support.
    Yeah, i suppose, but it'll still take forever, and i've already had a couple serial number sized phone bills due to overuse, so i don't fancy doing that again.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.