Turn on thread page Beta

'I love you' isn't the same as 'Love you' watch

ReputationRep:
    Disagree

ReputationRep:
    Disagree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jagwar Ma)
    So in what way does adding I change the meaning?

I have never said "Love you" to a girlfriend in a romantic context, because it doesn't quite make sense without the I. If I were rushing to work or something and felt like quickly firing off the statement, I'd use I love you or Love you; I wouldn't particularly put much thought into how I say it because the sentiment is the same. I would hope my partner doesn't analyse it that much. When you're with somebody for a long time does it really matter what you say? Your love for somebody is proven in gestures and actions, who gives a crap how you say it. It's all about how you show it.
    There is a difference between a serious expression of love and using the phrase as a salutation.

If you are expressing love for someone then it's not something to be done in a rush and to just fire off whatever comes into your head. It is important enough to pause, look them in the eye and say it sincerely. It it is important enough to bother saying a full sentence.

Sure, in the context you describe it doesn't matter whether you say 'love you' or 'I love you' but that is because you are not saying it in a meaningful way. You could equally say 'bye' or 'have a good day' which is what I would say and mean the same thing in that context. I'm sure my partner doesn't take any notice of what I say because it isn't important.

My point is that if you say 'love you' then you are using it as a salutation so it does not have the same impact. If you say 'I love you' then you may be talking from the heart.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed. The "I" puts a lot more meaning to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sternumator)

My point is that if you say 'love you' then you are using it as a salutation so it does not have the same impact. If you say 'I love you' then you may be talking from the heart.
    https://youtu.be/0f_ec37PXNQ?t=11
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I agree but the situation doesn't call for you to say "I love you" every time. If I was on the phone to my girlfriend and I was hanging up I'd finish with "love you" because it's just more natural/makes more sense in that context.

There's a time and a place to say both of them imo

ReputationRep:
    Disagree. I'm careless with the precise wording myself and don't mean anything by it, so I find it irritating when it's perpetuated that dropping the "I" makes it less genuine somehow.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.