Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Should gay conversion therapy be legal? Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't work, it can have very harmful effects, and it's a complete scam. No it shouldn't be legal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vexd)
    Being gay isn't a condition that needs to be treated, your sexuality is a part of you and nobody should feel the need to change it with therapy.
    If it leads to psychological issues similar to gender dysphoria then it is and often it will lead to that if it contrasts with your religious beliefs.

Therefore I support allowing it.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is that there's no proof that conversion therapy works (United States Surgeon General David Satcher in 2001 issued a report stating that "there is no valid scientific evidence that sexual orientation can be changed" and "enduring change to an individual’s sexual orientation is uncommon and that a very small minority of people in these studies showed any credible evidence of reduced same sex attraction", from here, which also has some other interesting statistics). This fact alone should be enough to stop it being put into practise - with no proven results at best you're just wasting the time of the people undergoing 'treatment' and at worst you're teaching people who are unable to change that the way they are is wrong and bad. Not to mention the fact that Pence is okay with this being done to teenagers, who in many cases will have been forced into it by their parents. This is obviously not going to have a great effect on their mental health. Adults is a more unclear issue, as yes they should have the choice to do what they want, but is it worth the potential harm? I grant, some adults perceive a benefit and want to go through with it, but considering the fact that it doesn't work, it would probably be healthier in the long term to address the issues the person has around being LGBT+ than to try to force it away. I think it should absolutely be illegal for children/adolescents and for adults. However if it has to be legal for adults, then there should be stringent regulations the centres has to follow, the option to opt out at any time, evidence of consent (to prevent people being coerced into it by parents/family members/partners as an adult) and regular inspections to make sure that nothing unethical or harmful is taking place (although I still believe it's unethical and harmful anyway).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    If it leads to psychological issues similar to gender dysphoria then it is and often it will lead to that if it contrasts with your religious beliefs.

Therefore I support allowing it.
    correct me if i'm wrong, isn't gender dysmorphia the distress caused by the clash between someone's chosen gender and the gender they were assigned at birth?
    imo your sexuality is an integral part of who you are, it's part of you as a person, i'd say moreso than your chosen religion, (which i believe you get more introduced to from family) perhaps in the circumstance of a clash between your religion and your sexuality, it's not your sexuality that should be given the boot? :^_^:

ReputationRep:
    Errrrr..... conversion therapy is perfectly legal in the U.K.

However it is not available on the NHS and no creditable professional accreditation body allows it as it is viewed as ineffective, harmful and they don't view homosexuality as a mental health problem. There is nothing to stop unaccredited quacks from offering it.

ReputationRep:
    Would there be an age limit on this? It is quite clearly abuse, and it would be wrong to force this upon children. But if a mature adult chooses to op for this quackery, I guess they should be free to do so, but such treatments should not receive government funding or support.

(Original post by Trapz99)
    Clearly, around half the US population does take him seriously since they voted for him alongside Trump.

Even if I give you evidence, you're just going to say that the source isn't authoritative so that you can continue to propagate your belief as the truth.
    Half the US population didn't vote for Trump. Roughly half of people who cast a vote, voted for Trump, but that is a much smaller number that the US population.

Anyway, if this evidence comes from a reputable peer reviewed scientific journal, then the member in question can't shun the source.

ReputationRep:
    from what I know, most conversion therapy is done on teenagers/young people who are forced to do so by their parents. I haven't heard of anyone who has actively taken part in conversion therapy out of personal choice. It's torture.

It should absolutely be illegal as it causes irreversible harm to people and barely ever works. Anyone who thinks it does is delusional. Correct me if you think I'm wrong on any of this - I don't know too much about it.

Would straight people be able to be converted into gay people? Doubt it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladbants)
    Since the US election, it has emerged that the Vice President-elect Mike Pence supports gay conversion therapy. In the US, it is legal and is a gray area but the government does not fund any gay conversion therapies, although it does find Planned Parenthood.

Do you think the UK should start to legalise gay conversion therapy for those who want to do it? I personally don't see the problem- why not give people the choice to potentially change their life?
    Maybe because it doesn't actually work?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    No, it should not be legal. It's incredibly damaging, and many are forced into it. It's torture, not therapy.

ReputationRep:
    There is some evidence from some ex-gay people. A lot of people do believe that it works, including the current Vice President-elect of the US.
    Yes and some people believe that when they go to sleep on christmas eve a magic man is going to pop down the chimney and deliver them presents.It doesn't matter what people believe especially if said people are religous nutjobs.What matters is whether it actually works and there is no evidence it does.Considering trump just became president,appealing to authority is hardly the way to go.Clearly brains is not a requirement to become president of the united states.

ReputationRep:
    WHAT~??

I do not know about gay conversion but stupidity conversion sure does not exist.

Sad sad ...~

ReputationRep:
    They don't work, all they do is repress sexual feelings towards the same sex - they cannot make you have actual sexual feelings towards the opposite sex; it's just the equivalent of turning you asexual or celibate. There is no justifiable reason to have them around, as they're literally bordering on voluntary torture.

But I am aware that in America theyr'e going to do nothing about them; but remember, this is the country who voted in Trump so...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biglad2k16)
    Of course it should be. These people need help to turn around their lives.
    What makes you say that? Why do gay people 'need help'?

You're sounding hateful here and dare I say it a tad bit homophobic.

ReputationRep:
    Often the "treatment", involves hate speech and harrassment, so no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladbants)
    Not everyone believes that though and some gay people want to change their sexuality or at least attempt to. Why not give them the choice to do so?
    It is a complete waste of time and money!! It's absolutely shocking and ludicrous to support it. Any gay person who wants to change their sexuality is HIDEOUSLY in denial. Conversion therapy cannot change you from homosexual to heterosexual. It's unbelievably stupid, narrow-minded and naive to believe so.

Sexuality is determined by birth, religion is not. Sexuality is genetic, religion is socially created. Gay people have been here since the dawn of humanity, religion has not, Gay people will be here at the end of humanity, established religion will have died out. FACT!!!

GAY PEOPLE ARE HERE TO STAY. THERE IS NO FIXING IT, THERE IS ONLY ACCEPTANCE AND LOVE. SO SUCK IT UP AND LOVE THE GAYS YOU *****ES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't that make those people not truly gay if they would go for a conversion therapy? All this therapy thing is just making it look like being gay is the worst that could happen to someone :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForgetMe)
    Wouldn't that make those people not truly gay if they would go for a conversion therapy? All this therapy thing is just making it look like being gay is the worst that could happen to someone :erm:
    Uh, no, it would make them in denial if they're going ahead with it!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trapz99)
    it should be legal. We allow homeopathic treatments and chinese medicine and stuff like that which doesn't work. There is some evidence i believe that supports various gay conversion therapies. People should be given the choice to make a difference to their lives if that's what they want to do.
    Your stupidity and ignorance beggars belief!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lh030396)
    Your stupidity and ignorance beggars belief!!!!!!
    I wouldn't say I'm stupid, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Clearly, around half the US population does take him seriously since they voted for him alongside Trump.

Even if I give you evidence, you're just going to say that the source isn't authoritative so that you can continue to propagate your belief as the truth.
    Clearly half the US population are idiots!! Anyway, it doesn't matter now. Under Trump, America is finished!!!

China has been caning America's ass for years now, and with all the anti-Muslim hate...ISIS will be striking the country from within. Worry about that, dont worry about the gays you homophobes!!!!!

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.