Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Is age just a number??? Opinions pls

ReputationRep:
    He's old enough to be ur grandad's grandad man, leaaaaave ittttttt

ReputationRep:
    Age is not a number, You can mature a lot in a few years.

From 15 to 16 my Interests and attitude changed a lot. but that age gap would be far too far for me

Bet he feels as if all his Christmases have come at once!

ReputationRep:
    You should do whatever what makes you feel happy.

In my experience, I dated a 42 year old for 5 months when I was 21. It didn't end well and I regret ever going there, and I cringe so much when I think about it. I only stick to guys my age now.

ReputationRep:
    He is way out of your league.

Age is not just a number, its more than that.

If he was 2 -6 years older than you it would be ok but 22 years older.......get away from him while you still can.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but there is something wrong with a 40 year old who is interested in an 18 year old.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Okay so, I'm 18 yo and I'm currently seeing a guy in his forties, I don't have daddy issues or anything like that for the record... we are completely different, I'm in my final year at college studying A levels wanting to go to uni and get a job, he left highschool at 15 and went into a full time job as a builder! Only one of my friends knows about it and she is disgusted! At the moment it's just fwb... we were already really close friends before it happened and it just developed based on mutual attraction, we haven't actually had sex but we've done other stuff, I feel like for both of us there is potential for it to develop further into a relationship as we spend so much time together and really like each other.... should i not let this happen?? should i stop seeing him? i feel like this is where I should discuss 'age is just a number' that's the bit I want peoples opinions on... I don't regret anything I have done with him and I love spending time with him as he does me, whether its hanging out having a coffee or having other fun. So yea, basically just want peoples opinions on 'age is just a number' I feel guilty in that my family and friends will be disappointed in me and that's not what it should come down to, surely it should be my happiness?
    Back to basics, age is simply a number, we use it to define how long we have lived

Do what you will, don't fall into the trap of being sucked in the guy or something, stay safe and remember to think about things when something is off

ReputationRep:
    Yes, age is just a number! In fact, my grandmother was 25 and my grandfather was 50 (and had never been married) when they got married. They were married for twenty something years before he got ill and passed away. But, they met many years ago and were in different life stages than you are now! You need to go to uni first and graduate before you make a decision like this. I, and I could be wrong, am guess that this guy is married. If you know that to be the case then you better start running in the other direction because nothing good will come from this other than for his recreational pleasure. Just because you are attracted to him doesn't mean 'go for it'. You are a seriously different life stages, he's most likely married, and you are probably being used - even if he finds you sexually attractive he's not likely going to pursue anything more with you.

ReputationRep:
    No one can make the decision for you. If you're happy and safe, there's no problem. Saying that, I am very, very aware of how young and naive I was at 18 and how much I've changed in the past few years. I definitely didn't consider myself an adult at that age.

ReputationRep:
    Okay so, I'm 18 yo and I'm currently seeing a guy in his forties, I don't have daddy issues or anything like that for the record... we are completely different, I'm in my final year at college studying A levels wanting to go to uni and get a job, he left highschool at 15 and went into a full time job as a builder! Only one of my friends knows about it and she is disgusted! At the moment it's just fwb... we were already really close friends before it happened and it just developed based on mutual attraction, we haven't actually had sex but we've done other stuff, I feel like for both of us there is potential for it to develop further into a relationship as we spend so much time together and really like each other.... should i not let this happen?? should i stop seeing him? i feel like this is where I should discuss 'age is just a number' that's the bit I want peoples opinions on... I don't regret anything I have done with him and I love spending time with him as he does me, whether its hanging out having a coffee or having other fun. So yea, basically just want peoples opinions on 'age is just a number' I feel guilty in that my family and friends will be disappointed in me and that's not what it should come down to, surely it should be my happiness?
    It's just my opinion, but I think with such a substantial age gap it probably isn't a particularly healthy relationship. I certainly don't think you're disgusting by any means, but I am very suspicious of such an old man seeing a girl whose young enough to be his daughter. There is something not right about that.

My advice would be, do what you feel comfortable with. If you are not sure, then don't let it go any further.

Best of luck.

ReputationRep:

Today in sainsburys i saw a magazine called Take A Break, on page 6 there was a story called Gramps I'm having his baby. It was about a 22 year old who was dating a 58 year old man so there is 36 years between them. She seemed very happy and does not regret anything. She said in the mag that he was the most handsome man she's ever seen and she liked him as soon as she met him but i did not think he looked handsome. She met him through a friend who brought him round to her house i think. The mag will be in lots of supermarkets or newsagents.
    It was interesting to read but i just read it in the supermarket as i did not want to buy it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I wouldn't really be able to present him before my family so yeah, it's a big gap.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: November 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.