Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Does anyone else get royally pissed off about this? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should benefits for the bone-idol be slashed to below what they need to survive?
    Yes
    48.15%
    No
    51.85%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DailyMailIsALiar)
    The Government seem to give those on benefits enough for them to live a comfortable lifestyle
    Just shy of 10 hours per week, at the living wage = "enough to have a comfortable lifestyle" e.g. somewhere like London? :dontknow:

P.S. A bone-idol is something rather different to the bone idle, famalam :yy:

ReputationRep:
    The Government seem to give those on benefits enough for them to live a comfortable lifestyle. In the meantime, student loans, and support for those in genuine difficulties are cut to the bone.

In my opinion, welfare for those long term out of work (and are capable of working) should be cut to the minimum required to live, minus 20%, to ensure some incentive to get out and better themselves.

Its an absolute joke how some people who are not working can afford to smoke, go out and get pissed, whilst those who work hard see little support from the government. What a travesty.

Those who work hard should get more - those who can't be bothered to help themselves should be forced in to submission.

*note - those who cannot work for medical reasons should be helped - I just can't stand the scroungers who can work, but don't.

Really they should get nothing, until they show some desire to help themselves, and get up off of their backsides from watching Jeremy Kyle and drinking alcohol all day.

How the hell can they have a 'social life' on benefits?! There are hardworking students here who can't afford to do that. Makes me repulse.

Aren't you mad that your taxes fund this?!

Take their benefits away Theresa. Please.
    If you think these people are buying their smokes (£9 a pack) and alcohol and everything else on £70 a week, i have some magic beans to to sell you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobBobson)
    It's actually harder to filter than it looks. I've been in one of these disability assesssment centres. As soon as people walk through the door, they try and make themselves seem as crazy as possible. They start getting their crutches out limping, shouting, being obstructive etc. Short of spying on these people, it's impossible to filter who really needs the money and who doesn't. The people who lose out are the people who are modest about their disability. So it's a competition to see who's the craziest.
    Thats what happens when severely sick people are judged fit to work via CCTV cameras BEFORE their assessment because they walked into the centre and sat down "unaided"

ReputationRep:
    The Government seem to give those on benefits enough for them to live a comfortable lifestyle. In the meantime, student loans, and support for those in genuine difficulties are cut to the bone.

In my opinion, welfare for those long term out of work (and are capable of working) should be cut to the minimum required to live, minus 20%, to ensure some incentive to get out and better themselves.

Its an absolute joke how some people who are not working can afford to smoke, go out and get pissed, whilst those who work hard see little support from the government. What a travesty.

Those who work hard should get more - those who can't be bothered to help themselves should be forced in to submission.

*note - those who cannot work for medical reasons should be helped - I just can't stand the scroungers who can work, but don't.

Really they should get nothing, until they show some desire to help themselves, and get up off of their backsides from watching Jeremy Kyle and drinking alcohol all day.

How the hell can they have a 'social life' on benefits?! There are hardworking students here who can't afford to do that. Makes me repulse.

Aren't you mad that your taxes fund this?!

Take their benefits away Theresa. Please.
    Oh for goodness sake :rolleyes:

I've personally been on JSA before (unemployment benefits) and let me tell you, my friend, it was not comfortable or plain sailing at all. You barely got enough money to live on and eat, let alone enough for all this fancy expensive stuff that benefit claimants are supposed to get. I didn't even have enough to get me to an interview to a job!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    If you think these people are buying their smokes (£9 a pack) and alcohol and everything else on £70 a week, i have some magic beans to to sell you
    Basically, THIS.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, yeah, it's all well and good cutting benefits for people on benefits, but what about the people than genuinely need benefits?

It's a hard climate out there, some people I know have been looking for months and months for jobs, in no way lazy at all. Also, what about someone in their mid 50's getting little to no redundancy as the company they work for is laying people off? barely any company will hire someone that age. Plus, if we cut benefits to people who 'really don't need it' then it essentially could mean more homeless people, more people going without food, and could impact their children etc... I know it's all "fkin benefit scroungers" but there sometimes is more to a story.

Also, benefit claimants really don't get that much, hardly enough to live on a 'really nice life'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Oh for goodness sake :rolleyes:

I've personally been on JSA before (unemployment benefits) and let me tell you, my friend, it was not comfortable or plain sailing at all. You barely got enough money to live on and eat, let alone enough for all this fancy expensive stuff that benefit claimants are supposed to get. I didn't even have enough to get me to an interview to a job!
    At least you were trying for an interview. There are many who receive JSA who don't bother. For them, £1 is way too much.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what planet you live on if you think students are on less money than basic rate JSA. Maybe stay away from biased documentaries and the speeches of a governments which seeks to pit poor people against poorer people whilst they have tax breaks and second and third homes

JSA is something like £76 a week. For a grown adult who still needs to pay gas electric and water (you can take minimum of £15 off here) phone contract so they can ring for jobs etc would probably struggle to do less than 5 a month. Most councils require all tenants to pay a portion of council tax now. So we are down to £51 a week. Unless you started on benefits as someone with no bills whatsoever, your employer likely to have outstanding bills and good luck feeding yourself for much less than £40 per week. If you get part time job of less than 16 hours, your money is reduced

Contrast with student loan which works out to now be very close to £200 pw depending on your circumstances you are still entitled to housing benefit. You can also work as much as your schedule allows and your loan money doesn't get reduced.

ReputationRep:
    I get more royally pissed off about Google evading taxes and essentially stealing billions of pounds more than I do about a disabled person trying to live as decent life as they could.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Tara~)
    I don't know what planet you live on if you think students are on less money than basic rate JSA. Maybe stay away from biased documentaries and the speeches of a governments which seeks to pit poor people against poorer people whilst they have tax breaks and second and third homes

JSA is something like £76 a week. For a grown adult who still needs to pay gas electric and water (you can take minimum of £15 off here) phone contract so they can ring for jobs etc would probably struggle to do less than 5 a month. Most councils require all tenants to pay a portion of council tax now. So we are down to £51 a week. Unless you started on benefits as someone with no bills whatsoever, your employer likely to have outstanding bills and good luck feeding yourself for much less than £40 per week. If you get part time job of less than 16 hours, your money is reduced

Contrast with student loan which works out to now be very close to £200 pw depending on your circumstances you are still entitled to housing benefit. You can also work as much as your schedule allows and your loan money doesn't get reduced.
    You're not entitled for housing benefit as a student.
    You get 200 pounds a week, true, even more at some other universities, but that includes rent, which is not cheap.

ReputationRep:
    Well considering I was entitled to housing benefit this year as a student you obviously can be entitled under some circumstances

ReputationRep:
    I kind of agree. I believe benefits should be cut from those out of work drastically if not completely and more money should be funnelled into higher priorities such as
    disability benefits, NHS and education. I agree that higher incentives are needed
    and I believe too often immigrants are being given a stigma as job stealers but what
    people don't understand is that they only take the jobs Brits wont take , mainly the
    hardest and worse paid jobs and these immigrants are far more impressive than
    people give them credit as they are the complete opposite of our Jeremy Kyle
    scroungers and they really put themselves out and work hard for little reward.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.