Turn on thread page Beta

Musos: Favourite Chord? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am a huge fan of A minor

ReputationRep:
    i voted for diminished 7th cos thats one my bf uses a lot in his compositions, but i don't play a chorded instrument so can't really play any myself except for c,cm,d,dm,e,em,f,fm,g,gm,a,am,b, bm but thats as far as it goes on the piano for me!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    thats Fmaj7
    Cool, thanks...I don't know any of the names of the chords I play, apart from the obvious ones...C, D, Am, A, Am7, F etc...

ReputationRep:
    B7 for me...or the opening chord for 'A Hard Day's Night'...353533 i think...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babyshambles)
    B7
    What a weird choice. Since equal temperement does it reall make such a difference (especially only with a single chord).

MB

ReputationRep:
    E major

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firebladez777.5)
    E major

Again, yes specific chords notes may sounds a particular way but what iss rreally important is (if you are writing tonally) whee they go. Of course if you are writing atonally then individual chords may be used just to creat an effect. Of course in the first half of the twentieth century many atonal writers (with the exceeption of berg and a couple of others) avoid the creation of tonal centres.

MB
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Babyshambles)
    B7 for me
    I love B7 too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    mine is one that stravinsky was keen on. Two sets of tritones a perfect fourth/semitone apart eg C-Fsharp, F-B alll notes played at once. Interesting cos one of the resolutions is the dominant of the other.

MB
    Does that chord have a specific name? Like Wagner's "Tristan" chord? I'll have to steal it for use in future compositions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    Again, yes specific chords notes may sounds a particular way but what iss rreally important is (if you are writing tonally) whee they go. Of course if you are writing atonally then individual chords may be used just to creat an effect. Of course in the first half of the twentieth century many atonal writers (with the exceeption of berg and a couple of others) avoid the creation of tonal centres.

MB
    I think they're probably talking about how easy the chord is for them to play rather than its sound!

ReputationRep:
    I must admit, I've always been a bit of a fan of the humble A minor chord.

ReputationRep:
    I like the Fadd9 chords, so nice and weird

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicman)
    Does that chord have a specific name? Like Wagner's "Tristan" chord? I'll have to steal it for use in future compositions.
    no, jusst came up with it one day and then lter noticed it in some stravinsky but can't remember what.

MB

ReputationRep:
    Minor thirteenths. I drop them into my comping whenever I get the chance

A big fan of altered ninths as well. Can't go wrong with those.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    Minor thirteenths. I drop them into my comping whenever I get the chance

A big fan of altered ninths as well. Can't go wrong with those.
    The minor thirteenth sounds just the same as the augmented 5th though doesn't it? It has the same notes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    thats Fmaj7
    Unless he's looking at tabs the wrong way around, it may be the Low E at the bottom of that, in which case it would be Eadd11+ but with no 3rd.

ReputationRep:
    i like b flat minor 7 with an added 6th. its called 'Fred'.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.