What maths is involved? :smile:

Calculus
Graph Theory
Group Theory
Linear and non-linear algebra
Fourier Transforms
Vector Calculus
Trig

I could go on for ages, most mathematical concepts eventually find some application in science.
Reply 21
ChemistBoy
Calculus
Graph Theory
Group Theory
Fourier Transforms
Vector Calculus
Trig

I could go on for ages, most mathematical concepts eventually find some application in science.

What are Fourier transforms? I have to do that this year coming.
Nylex

It's basically a method that splits a waveform into components called sinuoids (or something like that) which when summed equal the total waveform. Spectroscopic techniques (such as infrared and Nuclear magnetic resonance) use these transforms to add together various bits of information collected by the spectrometer and create a spectrum (which is the total waveform) - it's much more accurate than non-FT techniques. I'm afraid I'm a bit ropey on the actual derivations!
Reply 23
Nylex

Have you done Fourier Series?
Reply 24
shiny
Have you done Fourier Series?

Nope, we do that this year as well.
Reply 25
Nylex
Nope, I assume we do those this year as well. All I know is we do Fourier *something* :smile:.

Oh, can't explain Fourier Transforms that way then :redface:

P.S. Since you are a physicist remember this, the FT of a Gaussian is another Gaussian :wink: You'll probably need that for Quantum Mechanics next year :biggrin:
Reply 26
shiny
Oh, can't explain Fourier Transforms that way then :redface:

P.S. Since you are a physicist remember this, the FT of a Gaussian is another Gaussian :wink: You'll probably need that for Quantum Mechanics next year :biggrin:

Don't worry, I looked up both Fourier Series and Fourier Transforms on Mathworld. They look complicated :eek:. Oh boy, I don't even know what a Gaussian is!
Reply 27
Nylex
Don't worry, I looked up both Fourier Series and Fourier Transforms on Mathworld. They look complicated :eek:. Oh boy, I don't even know what a Gaussian is!

Gaussian Distribution = Normal Distribution
Reply 28
shiny
Gaussian Distribution = Normal Distribution

Oh ok, I hated Statistics! Thanks.
Reply 29
Nylex

No wonder you hate quantum stuff! All that probability!
Nylex

statistics suckssssss
Reply 31
tammypotato
statistics suckssssss

Indeed :smile:.

shiny
No wonder you hate quantum stuff! All that probability!

Exactly :biggrin:.
Reply 32
Hey Nylex, do you need to know about Polar Co-ords for first year physics? just not sure whether to bother with that P4 topic, or move onto P5 once I've done 2nd order differentials.

Reply 33
Hoofbeat
Hey Nylex, do you need to know about Polar Co-ords for first year physics? just not sure whether to bother with that P4 topic, or move onto P5 once I've done 2nd order differentials.

In my course we didn't, check with elpaw about Oxford though :smile:.
ChemistBoy
Calculus
Graph Theory
Group Theory
Fourier Transforms
Vector Calculus
Trig

what's the calculus stuff on? like reaction rates? Im only A level chemist

Latest

Trending

Trending