Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

If you found out your baby had down's syndrome... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    I'd like to say abort but honestly I think I'd end up keeping it and call them my little "superhuman".
    aww

ReputationRep:
    I'd abort
    which is to say, I'd strongly advise my hopefully sane partner to abort
    I'm not in the business of having dopey oaffish babies who grow up to live miserable and unfulfilling lives
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A321)
    I'd like to think, Abort. I feel its unfair to give a child a life full of misery if you already know.

However I guess its probably extremely difficult to even abort without feeling like ****.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How the hell do they live a life full of misery? People with down syndrome I have met, and I have met quite a lot, have had and still have good lives and seemed very happy.

(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    I'd abort, no questions asked.
    You wouldn't ask the mother?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metalfros)
    How the hell do they live a life full of misery? People with down syndrome I have met, and I have met quite a lot, have had and still have good lives and seemed very happy.
    It's only people on TSR who derive their self-worth from their grades who mistakenly assume that a person with down-syndrome could never lead a happy life.

ReputationRep:
    It depends how far a long obviously, I would not abort if it was really far a long in the pregnancy. I'm personally against that.

I wouldn't want my baby to suffer but I also don't like abortion very much.

It depends on my life situation, if I'm mentally and financially stable to take care of a baby with a disability then I would do so with all my heart. Hopefully this isn't the case.

Tbh I don't think I am capable of an abortion of a healthy or disabled child. I think I would find it extremely difficult.

ReputationRep:
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    I'd keep the child. Of course :yes:
    People with downs syndrome can have happy lives. I've seen it.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I can't carry a child, but I would ask the mother to abort.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metalfros)
    This. There are many issues that children can have (or develop) that it isn't possible to detect when they are in the womb (autism, cancer, for example), although that doesn't necessarily mean that they won't be happy. You can't know from the womb that your child will have a happy (or unhappy) life - all you can do is hope that they will be happy. And while there can be other medical complications with Down's Syndrome, many are generally healthy and happy

I'm not saying it wouldn't be difficult, but I would give the child a chance and do my best
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Interesting answers, quite predictable however

ReputationRep:
    I worked with young people with mostly Downs Syndrome and other learning disabilities, teaching them a dance class once a week. They were all very different and unique, just like the rest of us. Some of them were friendly and others had attitude problems, again, just like the rest of us. I have a 19 year old son who I love very much. But when the time comes for him to fly the nest and maybe get married or move in with someone, have children of his own possibly, a part of me will be relieved. Relieved that i've done it, single handedly, with no help from anyone else. The thought however of having to potentially look after that child for the rest of MY life would seem like a prison sentence and one I would absolutely not consider.

ReputationRep:
    Tasnia'x why did you rep my post lol. Do you actually think disabilities are "blessings"? I mean, you could have a point there - people with disabilities might not have to deal with ordinary people problems.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'd let the mother decide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    ...would you abort the baby, or keep it?

Do you think it's ethical?

I was watching a documentary about this which can be found here.
    Your new profile pic scares me...
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine774)
    Your new profile pic scares me...
    it's the main character from the show Stranger Things :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    it's the main character from the show Stranger Things :cool:
    Well that explains everything...

ReputationRep:
    the discrimination against 'disabled' people from some folks in this thread is just despicable/disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    As a man, I've got no choice on whether to keep the child or not.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.