Turn on thread page Beta

Website Design and Screen Resolutions watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aylia)
    I've read the intro, that's mainly font weight and the like though. Am now trying to get my head round using CSS instead of tables.. think I'll look at it tomorrow it makes my brain hurt. I was quite happy using <tr><td> etc and now I've got to look and <Div> and em!
    Good . I made the switch from tables to CSS a few months back. I'm far happier. You get a lot more control, and it really helps logically to have content and design seperated. Though personally all my content is dynamic, so I really use PHP and CSS, but the PHP has to generate HTML. Also check out the XHTML tutorial. If you know HTML you won't need to learn much more, and you'll be at the forefront of good webdesign .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Not while (physical) desktop space is limited it isn't.
    <cough>TFT<cough>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dickie)
    <cough>TFT<cough>
    Yeah, I think I might go and buy a plasma screen as well

I've always wondered what Windows looks like at 2048 x 1536px

ReputationRep:
    I've sort of given up on CSS for the moment - I want a layout with a header, a footer and then a 3 column section in the middle, plus I want it to have a liquid form so it expands for different resolutions/ window size. From my google searching it seems theres no easy way to achieve this, and the ones I've found aren't very cross browser friendly. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aylia)
    I've sort of given up on CSS for the moment - I want a layout with a header, a footer and then a 3 column section in the middle, plus I want it to have a liquid form so it expands for different resolutions/ window size. From my google searching it seems theres no easy way to achieve this, and the ones I've found aren't very cross browser friendly. :rolleyes:
    umm..have you thought about using percentages for tables instead of specific widths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swim By)
    umm..have you thought about using percentages for tables instead of specific widths?
    yep, but with CSS I can't make it work, things jump in all sorts of funny places! I've decided I'll stick with tables (using %) until I get the thing finished and online, and then experiement with CSs after - I'm too easily sidetracked into looking at new shiny things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aylia)
    yep, but with CSS I can't make it work, things jump in all sorts of funny places! I've decided I'll stick with tables (using %) until I get the thing finished and online, and then experiement with CSs after - I'm too easily sidetracked into looking at new shiny things
    hehe. yeah get used to dealing with tables first. as long as you use CSS for styling then its not too bad. like dont use <font> <B> etc...

so hweres your site? can i take a look?

ReputationRep:
    hehe. yeah get used to dealing with tables first. as long as you use CSS for styling then its not too bad. like dont use <font> <B> etc...

so hweres your site? can i take a look?
    When it's finished, yes! Soon, soon...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aylia)
    When it's finished, yes! Soon, soon...
    hehe ok!! the anticipation!!

so whats it about?

ReputationRep:
    hehe ok!! the anticipation!!

so whats it about?
    I'm going inter-railing in september so it's about that - where I'm going and routes and flights and stuff. Hopefully will have my travel diary as I'm going along. Not that exciting really, but I've wanted to make a website for ages but haven't had a reason. Didn't want to make one of those ' hi, this is me, and this is dog and my cat' type pages!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aylia)
    I'm going inter-railing in september so it's about that - where I'm going and routes and flights and stuff. Hopefully will have my travel diary as I'm going along. Not that exciting really, but I've wanted to make a website for ages but haven't had a reason. Didn't want to make one of those ' hi, this is me, and this is dog and my cat' type pages!
    oh right that sounds wicked!! the iste should be cool.

yeah those sites are stupid and clogging up space. and its usually made by some kid. i mean whos wants to know what your dog looks like?? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    oh right that sounds wicked!! the iste should be cool.

yeah those sites are stupid and clogging up space. and its usually made by some kid. i mean whos wants to know what your dog looks like?? :rolleyes:

Well, my dog's quite sweet, I'm sure she'd pick up some admirers...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aylia)
    Well, my dog's quite sweet, I'm sure she'd pick up some admirers...
    hehe i'm sure, but enough to make a website on it?

sorry to sound stupid (coz i am) but whats interrailing?

ReputationRep:
    hehe i'm sure, but enough to make a website on it?

sorry to sound stupid (coz i am) but whats interrailing?

Ah you see, there will be a section about that on the website In case it takes me a long time to finish though: An Inter-Rail ticket is a train ticket giving you unlimited train journeys in either a region of Europe all the whole of it. I'm getting one for Eastern Europe, so I have 22 days to see as much as is humanly possible to get my money's worth, and then a week in Prague.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aylia)
    Ah you see, there will be a section about that on the website In case it takes me a long time to finish though: An Inter-Rail ticket is a train ticket giving you unlimited train journeys in either a region of Europe all the whole of it. I'm getting one for Eastern Europe, so I have 22 days to see as much as is humanly possible to get my money's worth, and then a week in Prague.
    ahhh right, that sounds really good. i've never been to taht part of the world before. it should be a great expeirence, no wonder you wanna make a website on it
    actually now you mentioned it, i think i've heard my brother talkin about it. coz hes going round europe next week.

ReputationRep:
    ahhh right, that sounds really good. i've never been to taht part of the world before. it should be a great expeirence, no wonder you wanna make a website on it
    actually now you mentioned it, i think i've heard my brother talkin about it. coz hes going round europe next week.
    :rolleyes: you must pay careful attention to him!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aylia)
    :rolleyes: you must pay careful attention to him!
    i think i just need to pay attention in general :rolleyes:

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.