Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    in the same sort of way that 'deary' can imply a condescending "why on earth would you consider anything different?" tactical reply? :cool:
    dont mind that, it is related to other 'issues'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna)
    its a forum, who are you to say anything? theyre all opinions. the tone was quite clear. subtle? please.
    so what exactly is the issue?

ReputationRep:
    i don't see how you can 'pretty much agree' with a comment that says animal lives are 'expendable' and then turn it around to form a completely different opinion.

it would have been better not to quote it in the first place.
    I don't want to see harm come to animals, but if it comes down to it I'd sooner see humans are ok. These drugs/etc could help/save the lives of our parents or even us. As a result, whilst it is non-ideal, animal lives have to be viewed as expendable.

How did I contadict myself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Deary, she meant it in an arguable sense.

Not that he shouldn't have this opinion - she was merely trying to use a tactic to argue against it silly.

As in, "How can we as human beings be in the position to use animals and treat them as our own? Humans are animals too" It wasn't a personal attack from what I can see.
    who are you to say that?

ReputationRep:
    so what exactly is the issue?
    of the thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    I don't want to see harm come to animals, but if it comes down to it I'd sooner see humans are ok. These drugs/etc could help/save the lives of our parents or even us. As a result, whilst it is non-ideal, animal lives have to be viewed as expendable.

How did I contadict myself?
    because mr white said that he see's no ethical problems with using them for scientific research and the furthering of medical / cosmetic technology.

you see a problem with harm inflicted on animals fo reasons other than "life saving". so you don't "pretty much agree" with their lives being expendable for any old reason.

just seemed an odd post to quote, that's all.

ReputationRep:
    its a forum, who are you to say anything? theyre all opinions. the tone was quite clear. subtle? please.
    So he is allowed to make a huge sweeping authoratitive statement which to me wasnt taken as an opinion, but when I expess concern about the sum-total suffering of animals, not their expendablity, I have to account for every word as an opinion?

ReputationRep:
    of the thread?
    of the meta-analysis in someone's phrasology. seems a bit pedantic when we all know what she meant in the context of the thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Homegrownkitten)
    So he is allowed to make a huge sweeping authoratitive statement which to me wasnt taken as an opinion, but when I expess concern about the sum-total suffering of animals, not their expendablity, I have to account for every word as an opinion?
    it's a bit hard to take your posts seriously when you have "what would scooby do?" written below each one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Homegrownkitten)
    question his opinion, not his right to assert one.

ReputationRep:
    because mr white said that he see's no ethical problems with using them for scientific research and the furthering of medical / cosmetic technology.

you see a problem with harm inflicted on animals fo reasons other than "life saving". so you don't "pretty much agree" with their lives being expendable for any old reason.

just seemed an odd post to quote, that's all.
    Point taken...

But have you never come across the idea that, when you want to bring someone round to your way of thinking, you tell them you agree with them first? Then you slowly but surely move away from that position towards the one you actually hold.

I guess it just comes as second nature to me after all those logic/dialectic lectures I got in Classics lessons at school!

ReputationRep:
    Point taken..

But have you never come across the idea that, when you want to bring someone round to your way of thinking, you tell them you agree with them first?
    i'd like to try that out by agreeing with communism and the benefits of the labour party

did you say you were a medical student? do you agree with the use of animals in lab work? i think it's unnecessary in basic pharmacology to be honest. our experiments with guinea pig ileum left a lot to be desired.

ReputationRep:
    question his opinion, not his right to assert one.
    why not question his right to assert an opinion? this isn't a democracy after all

ReputationRep:
    it's a bit hard to take your posts seriously when you have "what would scooby do?" written below each one
    Soz... but I am very serious when it comes to the welfare of animals
    (anyway, 'what would machievelli do' just doesnt have the same ring to it )

ReputationRep:
    why not question his right to assert an opinion? this isn't a democracy after all
    why not indeed, but this would be the first time it has been questioned on the thread.

ReputationRep:
    i'd like to try that out by agreeing with communism and the benefits of the labour party

did you say you were a medical student? do you agree with the use of animals in lab work? i think it's unnecessary in basic pharmacology to be honest. our experiments with guinea pig ileum left a lot to be desired.
    Well I only start in October, but I've been told that we only use our cadavers and frogs (for some reason). In physiology, I'd rather just learn from a book. Cadavers are (obviously) dead, so I guess I have no problem with using them for anatomy unless those Scottish dudes Burke and Whatshisface killed them/dug them up without consent!

To be honest I want to become a psychiatrist and don't want to deal with blood and guts at all! Sadly it has to be done though...

ReputationRep:
    but this would be the first time it has been questioned on the thread.
    there has to be a first time for everything.

ReputationRep:
    My Birthday: 3rd August. I'll be a quarter of a century old
    You are nearly as old as me..!

ReputationRep:
    Cadavers are (obviously) dead, so I guess I have no problem with using them for anatomy
    hehe well the difference with cadavers is expressed by the word 'consent'. although murderers from victorian britain probably didn't have that luxury when deciding if their bodies were going to be experimented on!

To be honest I want to become a psychiatrist and don't want to deal with blood and guts at all! Sadly it has to be done though...
    i'm the opposite, i don't like listening to people moaning so will be a surgeon. there's enough mad people in the medical profession to quench my cravings for psychiatry.

ReputationRep:
    You are nearly as old as me..!
    I dont feel 25 though... more like 19 still. You are not as old as my bf tho...

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.