Turn on thread page Beta

How to eat healthy at University anyone!? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clouddweller)
    Don't. Eat. Ready. Meals. Very often anyway. Besides the fact that most of them are full of crap, they work out more expensive on the whole than buying fresh food and cooking. Do a weekly shop, get plenty of fruit, veg, lean meat, pasta, tinned tomatoes and herbs etc and you can cook pretty much anything you like. Last year my weekly shop cost £20 average, with maybe another five or ten pounds over the week if I wanted something specific or ran out of anything.

Oh, also, get a recipe book. My friend had one that we used all year; healthy, easy recipes, none of which took too much time to prepare
    you really managed to limit it to 20 pounds a week! thats well good i might be seeking guidence from you in the not to near future...i was thinking whats the easiet healthy meal to do...would tomoatoes on borwn bread with herbs be nice do u think?(chopped tomatoes that is?!) im really useless at cooking!!

ReputationRep:
    ^^ That sounds good - one of my fave sandwiches is tomato, brie and basil

It's really not difficult to limit your shop to £20 a week - in fact, when I was a vegetarian I was probably spending closer to £10. e.g. Don't buy Robinsons squash, buy the supermarket own brand (not the value range but sort of the next one up). Why would I want to spend £1.19 on a litre of Robinson's when I can get 2 litres of Sainsburys own brand for 60p?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    ^^ That sounds good - one of my fave sandwiches is tomato, brie and basil

It's really not difficult to limit your shop to £20 a week - in fact, when I was a vegetarian I was probably spending closer to £10. e.g. Don't buy Robinsons squash, buy the supermarket own brand (not the value range but sort of the next one up). Why would I want to spend £1.19 on a litre of Robinson's when I can get 2 litres of Sainsburys own brand for 60p?!
    lol how right you are...thats what ive got to learn to do spot a bargin!! what university do you go...the one im going to is sooo cheap everywhere so my shopping total will probs be really small any way....at aldi you can get a big bag of pasta for one one pound!! how daft is that!!

ReputationRep:
    I went to Exeter. No Aldi or Lidl near us either unless you were fortunate enough to have a car...

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know of some good cookbooks that has simple cooking receipes like the ones mentioned in these previous postswhere i can buy in town so i don't have to print all the various methods and ingredients out??

ReputationRep:
    What about if you're catered, making sure you remain healthy despite the food we're given?

ReputationRep:
    Don't go catered in the first place? :p:

Sorry, that's all I've got. It's one of the (many) reasons I never have gone catered.

Perhaps more seriously, choose salad/a sandwich if you can; don't smother your food with salt; drink as much water as possible are the suggestions that come to mind.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be catered...having heard what my friends in catered halls ate last year I can't really say I'm looking forward to it too much!

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be catered...having heard what my friends in catered halls ate last year I can't really say I'm looking forward to it too much!

ReputationRep:
    Well, I wasn't really bothered about catered/self catered...but I loved the Durham college so much. I don't like salt, so won't be doing that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz23)
    Does anyone know of some good cookbooks that has simple cooking receipes like the ones mentioned in these previous postswhere i can buy in town so i don't have to print all the various methods and ingredients out??
    I got a really cool little book for students: "How to boil an egg". It had loads of meals for one and told me everything. I'm a terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE cook - I've had a bf before who banned me permanently out of the kitchen lol :p:

But there are lots of good student-cooking books out there!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Jacket potato with beans and cheese-its seriously the best fast meal you could have

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    Salads
    Stuffed Peppers

They're my main two healthy meals. It's easy enough to just boil veg to put with other meals though.
    Steaming Veg is healthier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dave129)
    Steaming Veg is healthier.
    That would involve buying stuff other than a pan though. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Oh the expense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dave129)
    Oh the expense.

Exactly. I'm a cheapskate.

you can microwave them in a sandwich bag to steam them :p:(I think...don't hold me to that!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz23)
    Nosh 4 Students
    http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/WEBS...?id=0954317939
    All recipes have a ***** star rating on how easy it is to prepare. Its a really good cookbook. Easy, healthy, and very yummy!

ReputationRep:
    Surely you've got a colander as well (pasta must be the student staple!) - you should be able to get away with using that, instead of a proper steamer. It's not quite so neat/easy, but it works

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    Surely you've got a colander as well (pasta must be the student staple!) - you should be able to get away with using that, instead of a proper steamer. It's not quite so neat/easy, but it works

Wow, that's actually a very good idea!
    Only a plastic one though, would melt, wouldn't it?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.