Turn on thread page Beta

How many A-levels will you do/are you doing/have you done? watch

• View Poll Results: How many A-levels will you do/are you doing/have you done?
    0.74%
    28.15%
    42.22%
    11.85%
    5+
    17.04%

ReputationRep:
    I did one early so have 5 1/2 altogether.

But I did 4 1/2 in sixth form - I did Fast Maths, I did Maths in a year and then did Further Maths in Year 13 (but I just did AS F. Maths and then had frees the rest of the time. Which was great cos fast maths in Year 12 hardly gave me any!)
    I also did English, Economics and Music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Excalibur)
    I don't think people should include General Studies or Critical Thinking when counting how many A levels they will be doing....
    Well I can see the argument for General Studies, but Critical Thinking should be counted. It is not exactly a 'mickey-mouse' AS - it is all skills and application and very little content. In fact, I found it the hardest out of all my AS level to be honest as it was quite challenging. Other people may disagree with that but I did have to spend a considerable amount of time improving my critical thinking skills.

Look at some of the statistics (http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/pu...s%202007.pdf):

There were 23,729 entries for AS level with only 8.1% achieving an "A" grade (1992 candidates out of the total) and a 16% fail rate i.e. those acheiving a "U" grade. The number of people entered for it wasn't particularly low either, it beats more respected subjects such as French, German, Computing, Music, Economics, etc.

Also, critical thinking is a valuable skill to possess, it is drawn upon for Medical, Law and Oxbridge applications which all seem to have an element of critical thinking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cataclysm)
    Well I can see the argument for General Studies, but Critical Thinking should be counted. It is not exactly a 'mickey-mouse' AS - it is all skills and application and very little content. In fact, I found it the hardest out of all my AS level to be honest as it was quite challenging. Other people may disagree with that but I did have to spend a considerable amount of time improving my critical thinking skills.

Look at some of the statistics (http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/pu...s%202007.pdf):

There were 23,729 entries for AS level with only 8.1% achieving an "A" grade (1992 candidates out of the total) and a 16% fail rate i.e. those acheiving a "U" grade. The number of people entered for it wasn't particularly low either, it beats more respected subjects such as French, German, Computing, Music, Economics, etc.

Also, critical thinking is a valuable skill to possess, it is drawn upon for Medical, Law and Oxbridge applications which all seem to have an element of critical thinking.
    Fair enough. I think Critical Thinking is very useful as a skill and as enrichment - but for the purposes of this poll, it is not the same as an ordinary subject as it requires (typically) far less teaching time and material, plus some unis don't accredit it as a proper subject. Nothing against CT per se, just my opinion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Excalibur)
    Fair enough. I think Critical Thinking is very useful as a skill and as enrichment - but for the purposes of this poll, it is not the same as an ordinary subject as it requires (typically) far less teaching time and material, plus some unis don't accredit it as a proper subject. Nothing against CT per se, just my opinion
    Hm, fair enough. It is a nonetheless, still a nightmare. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Think I did 5 for A2 - hist, philos, psych, RS, soc

And 1 for AS - bio

So 5.5 in two years. It doesn't always pay off though, I slipped a grade in two subjects.

ReputationRep:

Maybe the reason the pass rates are so low is because people are entered against their will by their colleges, and then do the absolute minimum of work (or, obviously, less).

ReputationRep:
    4 A-levels, 3 AS-levels.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be taking 5/6

Art, English Lit, History, Theatre studies, French and Italian.

However, i'm not sure they'll consider my italian grade as i'm italian myself..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r3m0t)
    Maybe the reason the pass rates are so low is because people are entered against their will by their colleges, and then do the absolute minimum of work (or, obviously, less).
    Statistically, yes that would make sense and judging by the attitudes at my college, that was the general feeling. But, the pass rates and fail rates are in no sense way different to other subject, Chemistry (14.6%), Biology (17%), Mathematics (16.7%), Physics (15.4%), Pyschology (18.4%) have similar fail rates to Crit at 16%.

But, by no means are all people entered against their will, some choose to do so (as was the choice at the colleges I applied to) and even if the significant majority are forced it is highly unlikely that all they want to do is fail or attain a low grade on purpose just to prove a point.

ReputationRep:
    4 not counting general studios *rolls eyes* lol

ReputationRep:
    Oh man. I feel a loser for maybe only doing 3 now...

ReputationRep:
    Lol don't worry! There's no need to do more really, apart from for a select group of unis that ask for 4 ASs. They're just additional extras and in most cases don't help you that much. For my applications it was GCSEs that were important. The unis took the stance that it didn't matter how many As you got at AS, if you're GCSEs weren't up to scratch you wouldn't get in lol (Durham and Warwick for me, but have also heard LSE are similar).

ReputationRep:
    ^ I guess...

ReputationRep:
    If things go to plan I will end up with five full A levels.

If not, four and an AS.

ReputationRep:
    3.5 - I could do the 4th but ICT is pointless and way too time consuming so by dropping it I can spend more time on my other more important subjects. I'd rather aim for AAAa than BBBB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by city_chic)
    Oh man. I feel a loser for maybe only doing 3 now...
    Don't worry. Unless the University asks for 4 A levels you will have equal chance with somone doing 3, they don't discriminate you on the amount of A levels. I know somone who got AAAAB and didn't get into his choice while somone who got AAAB got in.

ReputationRep:
    There were 23,729 entries for AS level [critical thinking] with only 8.1% achieving an "A" grade (1992 candidates out of the total) and a 16% fail rate i.e. those acheiving a "U" grade.
    Very well researched - but it is not a mainstream subject, and is often taken as an additional AS or A-level to what you already do.

however i have to admit everyone at my college treated critical thinking like general studies. a few people revised for it eg me but not many people took it seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by city_chic)
    I saw in the newspaper that this one guy got 7 As at A-level...like HOW?!
    easy -

he probably did

chemistry
    biology
    physics
    maths
    further maths
    general studies
    critical thinking

this is made a lot easier if you are someone who has taken maths/critical thinking a year early(therefore doing A2 Maths/critical thinking alongside AS's). eg me. so when you have completed maths in Lower Sixth you carry on with Chem Bio FurtherMaths and Physics (and gen studies which is often compulsory).

Well ... Further Maths is sorta helped a lot by the fact that you have already completed the core maths A-level. and physics is helped too with the maths you have obtained, so it isnt that hard.

it a lot harder when your mainstream subjects are heavily based on essays. eg english lit, history, philosophy, etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunspoon)
    easy -

he probably did

chemistry
    biology
    physics
    maths
    further maths
    general studies
    critical thinking

this is made a lot easier if you are someone who has taken maths/critical thinking a year early(therefore doing A2 Maths/critical thinking alongside AS's). eg me. so when you have completed maths in Lower Sixth you carry on with Chem Bio FurtherMaths and Physics (and gen studies which is often compulsory).

Well ... Further Maths is sorta helped a lot by the fact that you have already completed the core maths A-level. and physics is helped too with the maths you have obtained, so it isnt that hard.

it a lot harder when your mainstream subjects are heavily based on essays. eg english lit, history, philosophy, etc
    Yep that does make sense. You can easily transfer skills and knowledge from Maths to Further Maths to Physics (there is some content and understanding overlap - it's not like they are completely separate subjects, they are quite closely linked). You also have an overlap between Biology and Chemistry (only some of the Biochemistry stuff but nonetheless they are linked).

ReputationRep:
    Yep that does make sense. You can easily transfer skills and knowledge from Maths to Further Maths to Physics (there is some content and understanding overlap - it's not like they are completely separate subjects, they are quite closely linked). You also have an overlap between Biology and Chemistry (only some of the Biochemistry stuff but nonetheless they are linked).
    Plus science subjects are memorisation of facts and exam technique, whereas Arts subjects are less so, there's more room for variation in the questions.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.