Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChiquitaBanana)
    Are you all spending you money mostly on drinks? I dont drink so i guess im saving lots of money, but what else would i need to spend all my money on? isnt freshers week, about meeting people and gettgin your bearings? and free stuff? huh?

Same here!
    Don't drink so I don't suppose I'll need LOADS and LOADS. I'm taking about £100 for extra things I think I'll need to pay for and then I'm taking money for meals, extra food, tickets etc.

We should be ok with around £150-£200 if you don't drink and those who do drink I'm guessing it's a sliding scale based on HOW MUCH you drink

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Well I've only really got £100 left of my own savings, lol. So I guess that will have to do and I may dip into my overdraft if I need to before my loan comes in... I do have over a grand and half in a savings account my nan made but I think I'm leaving that until I'm 21, or until I reallllly need it.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm gonna be in london so will £300 be ok?

ReputationRep:
    I usually only drink about 4-5 drinks on a night out, bit of a lightweight . My accomm is right around the corner from the SU so i'll be saving some money for the nights I go there.

ReputationRep:
    im not going to drink so i think that gonna save me alot but im thinking of budgeting at 100 as my max i know its little but for a nondrinker that very good right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AesopRock)
    Correction.
    Ummmm.....hello? You are not a stereotype at all are you. Me and my friends accumulated more than 1000 pounds each by doing pre-university year in industry. Dont just make assumptions on people!

ReputationRep:
    What do you actually spend the money on in freshers week?
    Just alcohol and takeaways?

ReputationRep:
    days out unless your a pussy and have hangovers in which case you can stay in bed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hairy_scary)
    Ummmm.....hello? You are not a stereotype at all are you. Me and my friends accumulated more than 1000 pounds each by doing pre-university year in industry. Dont just make assumptions on people!
    I think most people on here work during the summer, i took a year out and worked and i'd be a shamed of myself if i spent £1000 in the first week!

What the bloody hell do you spend it on? drinks for everyone in the club!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lambzy)
    I think most people on here work during the summer, i took a year out and worked and i'd be a shamed of myself if i spent £1000 in the first week!

What the bloody hell do you spend it on? drinks for everyone in the club!
    I completely agree. I've worked from the moment I was 16 and took a year out before Uni to earn money (well that and I didn't get in where I wanted to go haha, but in fairness I didn't jet off to roam Africa or climb K2). Its definitely put me in a better position and so I've taken out a smaller loan because of it. I can't believe someone could spend a year out saving to blow over a grand in a week! Maybe its just me, I've always tried to pay my own way and always felt guilty about getting pocket money and stuff (in saying that my rents are paying a percentage of my rent for me, so so much for my principles there huh!)

But you can't really blame someone for forming the stereotype that you're from a rich family when you say you and your friends spent all that in a week, as it certainly gives an impression that you don't have a good understanding of the value of money. I would have thought anyone whose had a lame job practically on minimum wage would appreciate this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentguy)
    I'll be living on an overdraft until my loan comes through, i'm not planning on spending loads anyway, dont want to have to eat chick peas for the rest of the year!
    ooh! don't worry - swansea is WEEEELLLL cheap. except if you go out on friday or saturday.
    For reference, make sure you go to La cantina every night before going anywhere else - shots are all £1. i.e. you can get drunk at the start for peanuts!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hairy_scary)

what a complete waste of a year in industry

ReputationRep:
    1000 pounds in freshers week works out at over 100 quid a day what the ******* are u buying each day i meen u can get bladdered in the union for pennys and you can ave a day out for 20 quid i thought i was stupid with cash

ReputationRep:
    a student buying champagne is not the kind of studnet i particullaly want to know to be perfectly honest.

ReputationRep:
    not reely issues yes i may have issues with the fact that people decide to buy champagne while others around them struggle to survive, those people do not appreciate what they have only what they have decided to waste because thats all it is im all for haveing a good time but haveing champagne as a student is just well it just doesnt make sense to me people are all to quick to borrow other peoples cash in the form of loans and overdrafts but they dont treet it with the self control they should. so just to outline i dont have major issues with people blowing their cash i just dont think it makes financhial and moral sense.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'd feel awful and a complete failure if I was both scrounging off my parents in some respects for rent or whatever, and at the same time blowing large amounts of cash on luxuries, but its each to their own really. I'd feel pathetic and ashamed at myself, but if others don't hey fair play to them. If you can afford it then meh do what you like, though I personally wouldn't even if I was loaded. Call me naive.

But I wouldn't use the "while others around them struggle to survive" argument, a little cliche (dunno how to do an acute on this computer lol). You could say the same about most peoples' habits and lifestyles. And it does make moral sense, they want to live life in extravagance, its fair enough as long as one choosing this doesn't pretend that they have any principles. Who does nowadays anyway... (...can my post get any deeper haha...)

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.