Getting into Top Uni's Such as Cambridge, Oxford, Manchester, etc... Watch

02mik_e
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by Agamemnon)
Yes, I would think carefully about which subject you want to do. I would avoid Law due to its competiveness (after all you can always do a Law conversion later). Business Studies doesn't seem to me to lead to that brilliant job prospects - and seems insanely boring to me (but I may be wrong).

If you're good with figures Economics/Maths would be excellent and would have prospects.

Many people enjoy an A level subject and choose to continue that, so once you've started your A levels you may wish to do that.
yh thanks i think i may change business studies for economics, but i really don't want to do maths. Do i have to do maths if i am taking economics?
Agamemnon
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by 02mik_e)
yh thanks i think i may change business studies for economics, but i really don't want to do maths. Do i have to do maths if i am taking economics?
You need to be very good at Maths. I don't know if it's suitable for you, you only got a B at GCSE Maths, not an A or A*. Ask in the Economics forum.
bohemian
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You don't need to be "very good" at maths for economics. I know people who got grade B at GCSE maths and came out with A/B grades at AS for Economics, and didn't take any form of Maths in 6th form. That said, when I was choosing A levels, I was told that anyone who gets below an A in GCSE Maths would be better advised to take Business Studies rather than Economics (which tells you something about Business Studies if nothing else).
Economics uses mathematical ideas, but it's more a case of having a logical mind than knowing A level Maths stuff. You could always take some kind of additional maths course if your school offers it.

Law A level isn't hugely well respected, you should have a look at the "blacklists" published by Cambridge and LSE. Both (I think) include Law and Business Studies, so you would be much better off taking a traditional subject instead of one of them, and probably not taking Economics AND Business. LSE says you would be disadvantaged if you chose anything but Law+Economics, or Maths+Economics, or Maths+Business, as long as you dropped Law/Business after AS and carried on with 3 traditional subjects to A2.
a_t
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
As far as Law is concerned, I don't think you would have any chance at LSE or Durham, or any other top uni that doesn't require LNAT eg Warwick etc, you need to do well, and I mean really well at your AS's eg A* to make up for your GCSE's and you need to do well eg 20+ in your LNAT aswell

Also Law is not a good A level, meanwhile Maths is one of the most respected
Agamemnon
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by bohemian)
You don't need to be "very good" at maths for economics. I know people who got grade B at GCSE maths and came out with A/B grades at AS for Economics, and didn't take any form of Maths in 6th form.
I stand corrected then. I shouldn't talk about things I don't really know about.
02mik_e
Rep:
?
(Original post by redanator)
Hi I have recently gained my AS level grades and I want to apply to University for the purpose of studying a Law degree. I hope to be able to go to a top ten University,i.e Cambridge, Manchester etc and if I show you my profile could you tell me if this is realistic.
GCSE-
History-A
Eng Lang-A
German-A
Eng Lit-B
Maths-B
R.E-A*
Technology-A
Business Studies-A
Dual Science-AA
Statistics-B

I have worked much harder at sixth form.
AS-
History-A (255/300 UMS)
Law-A (300/300 UMS)
Psychology-(282/300 UMS)
Business Studies-(254/300 UMS)
I will drop business next year and pick up critical thinking.
I have also completed two work placements, one in a County Court, the other in a Solicitor's practice and I will be sitting the LNAT.

I am aware that my lack of "traditional" subjects could hurt me but I was not aware of this at the time. Do I have any chance at all. Thankyou for your time.
Having looked at your grades, i must say they are excellent and i thionk that you would have a chance of getting into a top uni, but the lack of "traditional subjects" may hinder you a bit. I just wanted to asked you (as i am taking similar subjects at AS level) whether it was hard to get straight A's and whether you think i would be able to get that. In my GCSE's i got 4A's (science, History, R.E) 4B's (English lit & Lan, Geography & Maths)
hunibuni
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I would guess that a lot of people would tell you to forget it but I think (and bear in mind this is only MY opinion!) they are wrong. You do not, it is true, have the most traditional list of A-level subjects one could wish for but if you take a look at Cambridge's "forbidden territory" subjects, so to speak, you'll find that it's only actually business studies they dislike particularly. Admittedly, there is also only one of your subjects that is on the "definately approved" list - i.e. history. If you want to give Oxford/Cambridge a go then you may as well. You'll only have one chance at applying while your still at school and you have 4 other choices to put down - just maybe include one that is not a top 10 uni for law and then you'll always have that insurance even if Oxbridge is not to be.

Law is obviously a highly competitive course. If I were you, I would try to improve my chances by taking up a new AS that is more traditional. Critical thinking is not the best option in the world if you are thinking of Cam although better than general studies. I would go for something like english lit where you would learn similar analytical skills. I am applying for Oxford myself this year and I would suggest you go for that looking at your UMS scores simply because these are something Cambridge consider very closely. That is not to say you would not get in, but for a subject like law I would guess that people without very high scores in every subject do get eliminated pretty quickly.

Good luck with your application - I hope you go ahead with Oxbridge! Your GCSE grades are certainly very good and remember that no uni except Cambridge will actually see your UMS scores, only your predicted grades and your GCSE's so if those are good, you stand a good chance. They are more interested in exams you have already taken anyway because schools often over-predict so I would say most unis would be pretty impressed with those GCSE scores. Go for it!
02mik_e
Rep:
?
(Original post by hunibuni)
I would guess that a lot of people would tell you to forget it but I think (and bear in mind this is only MY opinion!) they are wrong. You do not, it is true, have the most traditional list of A-level subjects one could wish for but if you take a look at Cambridge's "forbidden territory" subjects, so to speak, you'll find that it's only actually business studies they dislike particularly. Admittedly, there is also only one of your subjects that is on the "definitely approved" list - i.e. history. If you want to give Oxford/Cambridge a go then you may as well. You'll only have one chance at applying while your still at school and you have 4 other choices to put down - just maybe include one that is not a top 10 uni for law and then you'll always have that insurance even if Oxbridge is not to be.

Law is obviously a highly competitive course. If I were you, I would try to improve my chances by taking up a new AS that is more traditional. Critical thinking is not the best option in the world if you are thinking of Cam although better than general studies. I would go for something like english lit where you would learn similar analytical skills. I am applying for Oxford myself this year and I would suggest you go for that looking at your UMS scores simply because these are something Cambridge consider very closely. That is not to say you would not get in, but for a subject like law I would guess that people without very high scores in every subject do get eliminated pretty quickly.

Good luck with your application - I hope you go ahead with Oxbridge! Your GCSE grades are certainly very good and remember that no uni except Cambridge will actually see your UMS scores, only your predicted grades and your GCSE's so if those are good, you stand a good chance. They are more interested in exams you have already taken anyway because schools often over-predict so I would say most unis would be pretty impressed with those GCSE scores. Go for it!
Hi i was just looking at your spoiler (AS/A-level) i was wondering what do i have to do to get an A at AS/A-level in english Lit. I think i would have got n A at GCSE level if i wasn't so lazy in year 10 and with a Poor coursework grade of C. Your Advice would be much appreciated.
02mik_e
Rep:
?
Sorry about that an A in english LIt
02mik_e
Rep:
?
lol no worries i took your advice on board. That is one thing i never done at GCSE level- look back on my work each day. Maybe i may have got A's & A*'s. I hope that you get into the Uni you want to, because you seem like a hard working person. All the Best!!!
hunibuni
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hi i was just looking at your spoiler (AS/A-level) i was wondering what do i have to do to get an A at AS/A-level in english Lit. I think i would have got n A at GCSE level if i wasn't so lazy in year 10 and with a Poor coursework grade of C. Your Advice would be much appreciated.
Lots of practice essays - nothing beats the practice questions and then stick in lots of crit theory (you know, feminists think this but new historicists think that) - that's very much the emphasis at AS. For A2 I think they like you to ref lots of other books you've read that are related to the question. Good c/w is always a good idea too - it really helps. If you decide to take up the eng lit idea and need any help on c/w etc. feel free to PM me. Last year I did Antony & Cleopatra, History of the world in 10.5 chapters, Browning's poetry and then The God of Small Things for my c/w. This yr we are doing Postcolonial lit and Measure for Measure.
02mik_e
Rep:
?
Lots of practice essays - nothing beats the practice questions and then stick in lots of crit theory (you know, feminists think this but new historicists think that) - that's very much the emphasis at AS. For A2 I think they like you to ref lots of other books you've read that are related to the question. Good c/w is always a good idea too - it really helps. If you decide to take up the eng lit idea and need any help on c/w etc. feel free to PM me. Last year I did Antony & Cleopatra, History of the world in 10.5 chapters, Browning's poetry and then The God of Small Things for my c/w. This yr we are doing Postcolonial lit and Measure for Measure.
What exam board did you do?
redanator
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by 02mik_e)
lol no worries i took your advice on board. That is one thing i never done at GCSE level- look back on my work each day. Maybe i may have got A's & A*'s. I hope that you get into the Uni you want to, because you seem like a hard working person. All the Best!!!
same to you
hunibuni
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
What exam board did you do?
I did OCR
02mik_e
Rep:
?
I did OCR
arghhh i am doing AQA, do you think you can still help me
simon123
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
[QUOTE=anthony]i sincerely doubt you will have any chance in getting into oxford/cambridge. To get into those, you need at least 5/6 A* at GCSE.
QUOTE]

Everyone please dont listen to this its just not true, at least not for Oxford. I have personal experience and I applied to Oxford and only had 2A* a few A and a few B for History/Politics, one of the most competitive subjects and they gave me a shot. I got to interview and got rejected but thats not due to my GCSE grades as they are not going to waste their own time bringing me through the whole process to get to the end and reject me because they dont like my GCSEs, something they could see from the start. Yes a good collection of GCSEs is important, but not 10A*, it really is all about the interview and any entrance exam you have to sit.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You might have a problem with law at top unis because it's so competitive, so GCSEs might be quite an important factor, but for most unis, they don't matter as much as AS grades, predictions, personal statement, reference, LNAT and work experience, and your grades are quite good anyway. I'm not sure how competitive economics is, but I think it's pretty popular and I also think you'd need A-level maths for top unis. Business studies would probably be the easiest of those courses to get into. As others have said, you might want to consider taking maths and economics instead of law and business studies to give you a full set of traditional respected subjects, but only if you think you can get at least a B in maths. I'd advise you to stay away from LSE and Durham because they're notorious for being picky about GCSEs, but for most other good unis, you should be fine. Even Oxford and Cambridge do not require 5-6 A*s, contrary to popular belief.

redanator: Although your GCSEs are good, they're below average for top unis, especially for a competitive course like law, so you should also probably avoid LSE and Durham, but everywhere else should be fine, maybe even Oxbridge. AAAA at AS is obviously very impressive, especially with 300/300 and 282/300 in 2 subjects, but unfortunately your subject choice could be a problem. History is great, psychology is OK and law and business studies are blacklisted. But if you're dropping business studies, that leaves you with only one blacklisted subject, which isn't too bad. There's probably not much point picking up Critical Thinking because I doubt it will be accepted by top unis, but your work experience and a good LNAT score would definitely help. In short, obviously no one here can tell you your chances and there are a couple of factors that might hinder them, but I definitely think you should apply. Just apply to at least 2 unis outside of the top 10 as well as backup.
redanator
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
redanator: Although your GCSEs are good, they're below average for top unis, especially for a competitive course like law, so you should also probably avoid LSE and Durham, but everywhere else should be fine, maybe even Oxbridge. AAAA at AS is obviously very impressive, especially with 300/300 and 282/300 in 2 subjects, but unfortunately your subject choice could be a problem. History is great, psychology is OK and law and business studies are blacklisted. But if you're dropping business studies, that leaves you with only one blacklisted subject, which isn't too bad. There's probably not much point picking up Critical Thinking because I doubt it will be accepted by top unis, but your work experience and a good LNAT score would definitely help. In short, obviously no one here can tell you your chances and there are a couple of factors that might hinder them, but I definitely think you should apply. Just apply to at least 2 unis outside of the top 10 as well as backup.[/QUOTE]

Thanks but law is not blackilisted by Cambridge anyway. I'm not taking Critical thinking for points but becuse I believe it will be helpful.
korektphool
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Agamemnon)
Yes, I would think carefully about which subject you want to do. I would avoid Law due to its competiveness (after all you can always do a Law conversion later). Business Studies doesn't seem to me to lead to that brilliant job prospects - and seems insanely boring to me (but I may be wrong).

If you're good with figures Economics/Maths would be excellent and would have prospects.

Many people enjoy an A level subject and choose to continue that, so once you've started your A levels you may wish to do that.
The OP was talking about A levels and not the course for a degree.
Agamemnon
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by korektphool)
The OP was talking about A levels and not the course for a degree.
No, he was talking about what he was going to do at university.

(Original post by 02Mik_e)
With my GCSE grades below and hopefully good grades at AS/A level do you think i ll be able to study at a top University. I want to study either Law or Business Studies at Uni. Thanks
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?